Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Custom Title
    Fantastic news! Sounds like with PROPER rest she will be able to complete again.

Unless a skater is blatantly working the system and knowingly falling or what not to get the points (ala Buttle in 2006 on his stupid quad) I don't understand why the skater gets all the blame heaped upon them for winning/scoring high. the judges make that call.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Unless a skater is blatantly working the system and knowingly falling or what not to get the points (ala Buttle in 2006 on his stupid quad) I don't understand why the skater gets all the blame heaped upon them for winning/scoring high. the judges make that call.
    Obviously. To quote myself:

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Of course it wasn't Alissa's fault...it's always on the judges.
    The skaters don't score themselves but, unfortunately, they do get the blame sometimes even though judges are the ones who hand out the scores.

Now I did blame Alissa for her performances...

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    Yes. That Alissa is such a sweetheart. In my note to her I mentioned that folks on the GS forum were discussing her contributions to figure skating & she acknowledged that in her response:

"Thank you so much for the encouraging message. I'm really grateful for your support, and please tell the others, too, thank you from me."
    Thanks for mentioning all of us at GS, meem.
    And Czisny in turn is exceedingly gracious to extend her thanks to everyone here.
    Her mind must be reeling as to what the future will hold for her, and yet she is putting thought and time into writing personalized replies.
    Love her strength and generosity and warmth and classiness.

Custom Title
    After over 10 years of no major injuries Alissa now has had two in just the last year. Maybe her body is telling her something. She's at the age where injuries start to pile up.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I honestly think last season when she was training all of those 3lz-3ts is what did it. She started off the season with a very ambitious layout even though the combo and all of the triples never materialized in competition. But she'd been practicing that all summer...

Before the end of the season she had the injury to her toe, right after nationals she started experiencing problems with her labrum...and now she's dislocated her hip.

It's so sad. It really reminds me of what happened to Michelle. She wanted to continue to compete but her body started breaking down...literally. Her hips were literally coming apart! There's only so much wear and tear a body can take and, from all indications, Alissa is approaching or has reached her limit.

Custom Title
    I'm glad Michelle stopped when she did, and I hope that Alissa can find a way to move forward without hurting herself more. If she skates noncompetitively in the future, I hope she stays away from the jumps. If she chooses another path, I hope she finds one as satisfying to her as the one Michelle has embarked on.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I honestly think last season when she was training all of those 3lz-3ts is what did it.
    Yeah she kept going for those combos but couldn't rotate them enough, which is so much pressure on your body when you're trying to hold a landing while your blade grinds through the ice like that...

If you ever had the honor of sitting next to her at an event, you could see she has the fastest thumbs in the west! And she is very gracious so I am not suprised at the response time.
    I just miss her artistry and I havent even left for nats yet...
    Chris learning to send e-mails with his new tablet and semi smart phones....and who is all thumbs.....

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    No...but then again, probably because I didn't write to her in the first place.

I have in the past, though...and have gotten a (short) response about a month afterwards. Surprising that you guys got one so quickly. Guess she really does read all her fan mail. That's an admirable trait.

Custom Title
    Great news I am still cautiously optimistic because there is a tendency for athletes and those around them to print a rosier picture when it comes to injuries and then I reminded about age and MK :( Regardless Alissa is bright and will have a great future no matter what she chooses to do.

Thank Godness!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Math, what an inspired thing to send her. I think that's probably the very best thing she could hear right now: that she will always have a place in U.S. skating history. Good for you! (And it proves that math, in the right context, can be an emotionally sustaining force.)
    Just received a sweet thank you message from Alissa too!

Down With It
    I must say, although Czisny has done many things in her career that I either didn't like or didn't agree with, her kind is very rare. Not enough athletes / actors / famous people take the time to respond to fans and I have nothing but respect for those that do. You can tell she TRULY appreciates her fans - so many forget that fans even exist. And at least in the music & movie industries, in the end it's the fans who keep you employed - they buy your records or watch your movies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yeah she kept going for those combos but couldn't rotate them enough, which is so much pressure on your body when you're trying to hold a landing while your blade grinds through the ice like that...
    So what you're saying, which makes sense, is that the weaker your technique is, the more likely you are to have certain injuries. If there were ever a reason for coaches of very young skaters to insist on good technique, this is it. A coach may never have the chance to train more than leisure-time skaters, but he/she can't know that. One of those eight-year-olds may turn out to be a champion, with a twenty-year skating career, and it's the first coach's job to teach technique that (as far as can be helped) won't tear the skater's body apart.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast