Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Here is an interesting article from 2006 about boot-related injuries. It is critical of the USFSA for not investing in research in boot design.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-163199--.html

As many as eight out of every 10 elite U.S. skaters suffer boot-related injuries, according to one study, and debilitating hip, knee and back injuries have driven dozens of top prospects out of the sport while still in their mid-teens...

The increase in stress-related injuries can be traced to the elimination of figures from international and national competitions and an emphasis on jumping in the early 1990s. Practice time skaters previously spent perfecting tracing figures in the ice is now spent on landing quadruple jumps by the men, triple jumps by the women.

While figure skating has been revolutionized in the past 15 years by these jumps, the sport's equipment has not kept pace with its athletes...

Some studies estimate that 90 percent of skaters who do triple and quadruple jumps are injured annually, twice the rate for skaters attempting only double jumps.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    No longer available.
    Both came up for me when I clicked on them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is an interesting article from 2006 about boot-related injuries. It is critical of the USFSA for not investing in research in boot design.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/-163199--.html
    Yipes, Math, those statistics are amazing. I know I read years ago that unlike skiing, where boots and other equipment are constantly being updated, skating boots are almost the same as the ones Sonja Henie used in the 1930s. But in those days people did singles and a few doubles.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    Both came up for me when I clicked on them.
    I think mskater meant that the boots are no longer available, and that's why Alissa stopped using them.

MM: that is exactly what I meant.

Custom Title
    thanks Mathman and Mskater. Do many american skaters use Edeas boots?

Medalist
    Some do.. Gracie Gold wears the Ice Fly I know there are at least a couple top men in them too, but they are harder to spot.

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Kristi is one of the few skaters who won more world championships (2) than national championships (1). Carol Heiss is another, with 5 worlds and 4 U.S. Of course Yagudin is the king -- 4 world championships and 0 nationals.

Here is Sabrina. Best skating dress ever. Dick Button says, "She is one of the most exquisite skaters of all time...and look at that! Even her back spiral position is acceptable" (as contrasted with all the other skaters' unacceptable positions. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8UlN4umNs

Not perfect? OK, how about this? (still not perfect but be sure to watch the whole video --" ...and the home... of the... brave!")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBmjO_v1WI
    But here's even closer to perfect. Only posting this because I find it very obscure and hard to find on YouTube (also the 2011-2012 FS, but this is her best performance of it at the U.S Nationals that year). The only "flaw" is her landing of the triple loop (I think that's what it is), but I find that to be the kind of imperfection that makes it better -- her perseverance in not falling is inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gvq...eature=related

I watch this video when I feel sad. This video also contains my favorite Scott Hamilton quote: "What else could you want in a woman figure skater?! ... Alissa Czisny has it all!"
    Last edited by Pepe Nero; 01-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    There are a ton of US skaters in Edeas now, but not all are Elite level skaters. Again, with any boot, you have to be careful to choose one that best fits your feet as I have talked to many skaters who have tried Edeas and ended up with heel spurs/bursas and blisters.

Rinkside
    Thank you for the video, Pepe Nero. It reminds me of why I've always been a fan of Alissa. Her win that year was a special moment that I was lucky enough to witness in person. I agree with what you said in the other thread:

"I'm using the last bit of my hope for Czisny's return next year, making the Olympic and World team and earning (at one, the other, or both) a long deserved medal."

I know it's a long shot, but Alissa has proven that despite her soft appearance, she's tough as nails on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Carly Gold also uses them, Lexis Verhulst does, Hannah Miller tried them but I believe is back in Klingbeils (LOVE them), and I want to say either Barbie or Mariah wear them now but I'm probably wrong.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11