Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Icey

Record Breaker
A hip dislocation after having surgery for a torn labrum seems pretty bad to me. I don't think it matters whether the dislocation was simple or complex. The fact that a simple UR caused the dislocation indicates to me that Alissa's hip joint is too fragile for competitive skating.

Do we know that it is the same hip as the one that was torn?

macy

Record Breaker
well you can tell that entrance to the flip was the one that went wrong. it's respectful to alissa and her coaches for them to have cut it off.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I don't think it's "disrespectful" if anyone wanted to show the full video. The first video uploaded was so small and grainy you couldn't see anything, even when she fell.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was the right of the video owners to edit or take them down. Let's respect that. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
We hope that this sad injury does not mark the end of Alissa's competitive career. But if it does, she can hold her head high. Here is the club of U.S. ladies since 1950 who won two or more national championships.

Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, Linda Fratiane, Rosalyn Sumners, Jill Trenary, Debi Thomas, Michelle Kwan, Alissa Czisny.

Wow, that's actually quite some company there. But more striking is who's NOT on that list...

ETA: I guess, in a sort of twisted way, better for it to happen here "behind the scenes" than on live national TV (imagine if it occurred during nationals!). Can't even seem to find a video of what happened for goodness sake.

Last edited:
Agreed, R.D. That time when Totmianina fell out of a lift and hit the ice in one of the GP competitions, they replayed that tape endlessly through the season.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I hope she is ok. This is really such a bummer especially because it does seem like a real possibility that this will be the end for her competitively. I really wish a speedy recovery for her and that she will be able to make the best decision for herself about what to do going forward.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not really worth bragging about. Yuki's first response to MasterB had it about right, I'd say.

Not bragging. if it werent' worth talking about there wouldn't be replies but the point is sadly the chance is gone for now and sadly maybe forever. But she is a beautiful skater and had some lovely routines regardless of what the future holds. I think the point also is while understandable she was rushing the recovery a bit from what I understand of her medical situation. Sure, we understand Worlds and all - this is sad but out of it something good will happen. She could become stronger, she could realize other dreams, it could be an incentive. She will survive as well as the skating world; I just hope she is not in physical pain.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's official. Alissa is out:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=48878&type=media

(1/14/13) - Alissa Czisny, a two-time U.S. champion, has withdrawn from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships due to injury. While competing Saturday at the 2013 Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wis., Czisny dislocated her left hip while performing her free skate. The competition was her first since the 2012 World Figure Skating Championships last March.

Czisny was treated at a local hospital and is now resting. She will undergo further evaluation.

It also confirms that she indeed dislocated her hip. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

ETA:I agree that it was better that this was to happen at a small competition then at Nationals.

Last edited: