Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Unless a skater is blatantly working the system and knowingly falling or what not to get the points (ala Buttle in 2006 on his stupid quad) I don't understand why the skater gets all the blame heaped upon them for winning/scoring high. the judges make that call.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Unless a skater is blatantly working the system and knowingly falling or what not to get the points (ala Buttle in 2006 on his stupid quad) I don't understand why the skater gets all the blame heaped upon them for winning/scoring high. the judges make that call.

Obviously. To quote myself:

Of course it wasn't Alissa's fault...it's always on the judges.

The skaters don't score themselves but, unfortunately, they do get the blame sometimes even though judges are the ones who hand out the scores.

Now I did blame Alissa for her performances...:sarcasm:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes. That Alissa is such a sweetheart. In my note to her I mentioned that folks on the GS forum were discussing her contributions to figure skating & she acknowledged that in her response:

"Thank you so much for the encouraging message. I'm really grateful for your support, and please tell the others, too, thank you from me."

Thanks for mentioning all of us at GS, meem.
And Czisny in turn is exceedingly gracious to extend her thanks to everyone here.
Her mind must be reeling as to what the future will hold for her, and yet she is putting thought and time into writing personalized replies.
Love her strength and generosity and warmth and classiness. :bow:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After over 10 years of no major injuries Alissa now has had two in just the last year. Maybe her body is telling her something. She's at the age where injuries start to pile up.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I honestly think last season when she was training all of those 3lz-3ts is what did it. She started off the season with a very ambitious layout even though the combo and all of the triples never materialized in competition. But she'd been practicing that all summer...

Before the end of the season she had the injury to her toe, right after nationals she started experiencing problems with her labrum...and now she's dislocated her hip.

It's so sad. It really reminds me of what happened to Michelle. She wanted to continue to compete but her body started breaking down...literally. Her hips were literally coming apart! :eek: There's only so much wear and tear a body can take and, from all indications, Alissa is approaching or has reached her limit.

I'm glad Michelle stopped when she did, and I hope that Alissa can find a way to move forward without hurting herself more. If she skates noncompetitively in the future, I hope she stays away from the jumps. If she chooses another path, I hope she finds one as satisfying to her as the one Michelle has embarked on.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I honestly think last season when she was training all of those 3lz-3ts is what did it.

Yeah she kept going for those combos but couldn't rotate them enough, which is so much pressure on your body when you're trying to hold a landing while your blade grinds through the ice like that...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If you ever had the honor of sitting next to her at an event, you could see she has the fastest thumbs in the west! And she is very gracious so I am not suprised at the response time.
I just miss her artistry and I havent even left for nats yet...
Chris learning to send e-mails with his new tablet and semi smart phones....and who is all thumbs.....

No...but then again, probably because I didn't write to her in the first place. :p

I have in the past, though...and have gotten a (short) response about a month afterwards. Surprising that you guys got one so quickly. Guess she really does read all her fan mail. That's an admirable trait.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Great news :) I am still cautiously optimistic because there is a tendency for athletes and those around them to print a rosier picture when it comes to injuries and then I reminded about age and MK :( Regardless Alissa is bright and will have a great future no matter what she chooses to do.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Math, what an inspired thing to send her. I think that's probably the very best thing she could hear right now: that she will always have a place in U.S. skating history. Good for you! (And it proves that math, in the right context, can be an emotionally sustaining force.)

Just received a sweet thank you message from Alissa too! :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I must say, although Czisny has done many things in her career that I either didn't like or didn't agree with, her kind is very rare. Not enough athletes / actors / famous people take the time to respond to fans and I have nothing but respect for those that do. You can tell she TRULY appreciates her fans - so many forget that fans even exist. And at least in the music & movie industries, in the end it's the fans who keep you employed - they buy your records or watch your movies.

Yeah she kept going for those combos but couldn't rotate them enough, which is so much pressure on your body when you're trying to hold a landing while your blade grinds through the ice like that...

So what you're saying, which makes sense, is that the weaker your technique is, the more likely you are to have certain injuries. If there were ever a reason for coaches of very young skaters to insist on good technique, this is it. A coach may never have the chance to train more than leisure-time skaters, but he/she can't know that. One of those eight-year-olds may turn out to be a champion, with a twenty-year skating career, and it's the first coach's job to teach technique that (as far as can be helped) won't tear the skater's body apart.

Last edited:

kwanatic

Record Breaker
So what you're saying, which makes sense, is that the weaker your technique is, the more likely you are to have certain injuries. If there were ever a reason for coaches of very young skaters to insist on good technique, this is is. A coach may never have the chance to more than leisure-time skaters, but he/she can't know that. One of those eight-year-olds may turn out to be a champion, with a twenty-year skating career, and it's the first coach's job to teach technique that (as far as can be helped) won't tear the skater's body apart.

Skaters with better technique do tend to last longer in this sport. But in addition to technique, I would add that not pushing yourself beyond your limit is another way to stay healthy. Alissa was trying to be competitive and I really admire that, but given her technique, the fact that she's never been a strong jumper, and her age, I think training those difficult combinations was unnecessary and ultimately the cause of all of her problems. If she'd just tried to maximize her points doing what she did well (maybe adding another triple or a sequence or something) she may have avoided some of these injuries.

That's why I don't get why people fuss about Carolina Kostner not doing certain jumps. She's "old" by skating standards and she already has knee issues. In order to keep competing, you have to do what you're able to do and do it well. Granted Carolina's much more of a natural jumper with better technique than Alissa, but the same principle applies. Do what you can do without pushing yourself too far.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Skaters with better technique do tend to last longer in this sport. But in addition to technique, I would add that not pushing yourself beyond your limit is another way to stay healthy. Alissa was trying to be competitive and I really admire that, but given her technique, the fact that she's never been a strong jumper, and her age, I think training those difficult combinations was unnecessary and ultimately the cause of all of her problems. If she'd just tried to maximize her points doing what she did well (maybe adding another triple or a sequence or something) she may have avoided some of these injuries.

That's why I don't get why people fuss about Carolina Kostner not doing certain jumps. She's "old" by skating standards and she already has knee issues. In order to keep competing, you have to do what you're able to do and do it well. Granted Carolina's much more of a natural jumper with better technique than Alissa, but the same principle applies. Do what you can do without pushing yourself too far.

I think what bothers people about Carolina is that she was winning medals and competitions outright with what something is "less challenging" content. I don't think anyone would make a fuss if she wasn't medaling or winning.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

I agree: as a skater, I know how frustrating injuries are and not being able to be competitive just because your body it's not all right when you're trying to do your best is an awful feeling, so I agree that pushing yourself beyond your limits is a thing that no-one should do, especially if you are 20+ which (for the Ladies figure skating standards) is an "old" age. And, if you're doing what you can do well, why you shouldn't win against people who try more difficult elements but make a lot of mistakes? Figure skating is an artistic sport, so the presentation of your program (and this includes your technical elements) should be one of the most important things: quality agains difficulty, what counts more? My answer is: quality. (I know this is off-topic, so I don't want to start a discussione about this! ;) )

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Actually I always wondered why we have juniors if the technical content is just as difficult or even more so than seniors. The body breaks down training the difficult jumps over years, what if the jumps were restricted in the lower levels in order to perserve the skater's body and allow them to compete for a longer time in seniors and hopefully be healthier too. I thought that is what age restrictions were going to do for juniors going to seniors. The content the juniors are doing is crazy difficult, more so than when Alissa was a junior, but I wonder how long those little bodies will hold up.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought that is what age restrictions were going to do for juniors going to seniors. The content the juniors are doing is crazy difficult, more so than when Alissa was a junior, but I wonder how long those little bodies will hold up.

If they do decide on age restrictions, I hope they also limit what the juniors are able to perform in competition. I'd like to see juniors do only double jumps so they perfect the technique and worry about proper take-offs, landings, and height rather than rotation. When they become seniors, I think wrong edge take-offs should not count at all on the flip and lutz, because this is evidence of performing a jump with poor technique. As it stands now, the technical level in the jumps that wins on the junior circuit exceeds what wins on the senior circuit, so age restrictions alone won't do much.