Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 161

Thread: Alissa Czisny injured during FS on Jan 12

  1. #76
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,393
    I hope she is ok. This is really such a bummer especially because it does seem like a real possibility that this will be the end for her competitively. I really wish a speedy recovery for her and that she will be able to make the best decision for herself about what to do going forward.

  2. #77
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    Not really worth bragging about. Yuki's first response to MasterB had it about right, I'd say.
    Not bragging. if it werent' worth talking about there wouldn't be replies but the point is sadly the chance is gone for now and sadly maybe forever. But she is a beautiful skater and had some lovely routines regardless of what the future holds. I think the point also is while understandable she was rushing the recovery a bit from what I understand of her medical situation. Sure, we understand Worlds and all - this is sad but out of it something good will happen. She could become stronger, she could realize other dreams, it could be an incentive. She will survive as well as the skating world; I just hope she is not in physical pain.

  3. #78
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I sent Alissa a message through her official web site:

    http://figureskatersonline.com/aliss.../site/contact/
    Thanks for the link! Done!

  4. #79
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I sent Alissa a message through her official web site:

    http://figureskatersonline.com/aliss.../site/contact/
    Thank you for the link. I sent her a message of support.

    I truly hope that she is o.k.

  5. #80
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,378
    It's official. Alissa is out:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...878&type=media

    (1/14/13) - Alissa Czisny, a two-time U.S. champion, has withdrawn from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships due to injury. While competing Saturday at the 2013 Fox Cities Invitational in Appleton, Wis., Czisny dislocated her left hip while performing her free skate. The competition was her first since the 2012 World Figure Skating Championships last March.

    Czisny was treated at a local hospital and is now resting. She will undergo further evaluation.
    It also confirms that she indeed dislocated her hip. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

    ETA:I agree that it was better that this was to happen at a small competition then at Nationals.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

  6. #81
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,184
    I'm wondering just how stress that let hip is going to be able to take now that it's had surgery on it twice now. Alissa is not a young skater and injuries start piling up as a skater gets older.

  7. #82
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Not bragging. if it werent' worth talking about there wouldn't be replies but the point is sadly the chance is gone for now and sadly maybe forever. ...
    I believe the criticism was of the tastelessness of the Gone with the Wind remarks, not the fact of Alissa's terribly unfortunate injury, which is of course something fans will discuss.

  8. #83
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,257
    ^^This is typically the point where skaters tend to retire. Once the injuries start, it's hard to 100% rehabilitate one injury b/c another piles on top of it.

    Alissa's never been a strong jumper to begin with and once you start running into multiple surgeries on one hip, it's a slippery slope that's very tough to climb back up...

    My heart breaks for her. I wish she'd have just taken the rest of this year off and then tried to make a comeback next season...

  9. #84
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It's official. Alissa is out:
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...878&type=media



    It also confirms that she indeed dislocated her hip. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery.

    ETA:I agree that it was better that this was to happen at a small competition then at Nationals.
    I think Alissa just wasn't ready to come back. It's no one's fault. Who can blame her? It's her last year before the Olympics. Everyone wants to make an impact in this season. So often, the preceding year's World's podium is the same as the Olympic podium. She probably felt fine and was doing well in practice, but this was the same hip she had surgery on. She probably needed to do another six months of PT before returning to competitive style skating. I hope Alissa can come back next year. She is still, to me, the most beautiful skater (skating-wise) of all of the current ladies.

  10. #85
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^This is typically the point where skaters tend to retire. Once the injuries start, it's hard to 100% rehabilitate one injury b/c another piles on top of it.

    Alissa's never been a strong jumper to begin with and once you start running into multiple surgeries on one hip, it's a slippery slope that's very tough to climb back up...

    My heart breaks for her. I wish she'd have just taken the rest of this year off and then tried to make a comeback next season...
    I think that would have been the wise thing to do. Given her history the U.S IMO was NEVER sending her to Worlds this year with Olympic spots on the line, no matter how well she skated at Nationals. She could have come back strong next season, and especialy if the U.S had 3 spots (which they should) she would have a fighting chance at the Olympic team if she was in great shape next year. Pushing hard and maybe rushing through a bad injury to come back for Nationals, when if she was logical she would realize she was never going to Worlds this year anyway, was quite pointless, and sadly cost.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    146
    I know that Rudy had both his hips replaced and he is able to jump. I hope she gets good medical care and advice.

  12. #87
    Custom Title macy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    554
    oh no...just ruined my day even though i saw it coming. poor girl...i can't imagine how she's feeling right now both physically and emotionally. the US championships will be missing a lot of its elegance this year.

  13. #88
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,480
    Bit of a pattern - bad luck among US world team members that struggle:

    2007 - Czisny 15th at worlds, bombs 2008 Nationals

    2008 - Wagner 16th at worlds, bombs SP at Nationals following year

    2009 - Czisny 11th at worlds, bombs Nationals following year, missing Olympic team

    2010 - Nagasu slips to 7th at worlds, barely misses 2011 team

    2011 - Flatt skates on injury to 12th place at worlds, can only muster 6th at Nationals in 2012

    2012 - Czisny with epic meltdown at Worlds, injury takes her out of the running in 2013

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicky458 View Post
    I know that Rudy had both his hips replaced and he is able to jump. I hope she gets good medical care and advice.
    Eek. That does not seem like a good idea. Hopefully financial considerations aren't weighing into his decision and it's actually supported by his doctors.

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Bit of a pattern - bad luck among US world team members that struggle:

    2007 - Czisny 15th at worlds, bombs 2008 Nationals

    2008 - Wagner 16th at worlds, bombs SP at Nationals following year

    2009 - Czisny 11th at worlds, bombs Nationals following year, missing Olympic team

    2010 - Nagasu slips to 7th at worlds, barely misses 2011 team

    2011 - Flatt skates on injury to 12th place at worlds, can only muster 6th at Nationals in 2012

    2012 - Czisny with epic meltdown at Worlds, injury takes her out of the running in 2013
    So... you're saying Gracie won't make the Olympic team

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •