Pechalat/Bourzat withdraw from Europeans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pechalat/Bourzat withdraw from Europeans

Mattieu

Medalist
Interesting, Caron & Jones have just posted a photo on their Facebook page with Igor Shpilband.
The photo is titled 'Ready to go to the European Championships in Zagreb !' with the location Novi Ice Arena, Michigan.
https://www.facebook.com/PernelleLloyd

Last edited:

senatormls

On the Ice
That's so sad and rotten timing. Well we can wish for some good competition from the Italians and the Russians!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
From Pechalat/Bourzat's Facebook page today:

"Watching Short Dance !
so weird to be seated in the audience... when is it time to warm up ? where are my skates ? WHERE IS MY PARTNER ??!"
Nathalie.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151244368641188&id=181962471187

Hard to tell whether she was trying to see some humor in the weirdness. I hope so, although her disorientation and frustration are completely understandable.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
From Pechalat/Bourzat's Facebook page today:

Hard to tell whether she was trying to see some humor in the weirdness. I hope so, although her disorientation and frustration are completely understandable.
It's very clearly a humorous update from Nathalie. Fabian's injury and being in Zagreb aren't that disorienting for a veteran competitor like her, and while they must have been very disappointed, I'm sure they've moved on to focus on his recovery and their prep for Worlds.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's very clearly a humorous update from Nathalie. Fabian's injury and being in Zagreb aren't that disorienting for a veteran competitor like her, and while they must have been very disappointed, I'm sure they've moved on to focus on his recovery and their prep for Worlds.

YMMV ;). I would not say that it was "very clear."

On the other hand, I was never suggesting any kind of excessive, worrisome disorientation. And I was using the word figuratively, not in a clinical or literal sense.
I was merely agreeing with her that attending Euros without being in full competition mode must feel extremely strange -- especially because they are veterans who have been major players at Euros year after year.

I have plenty of respect for Pechalat's mental toughness (after she broke her nose last year, for example).
But you make it sound rather easy to "move on" from regret over their withdrawal from Euros -- even as she is on the ground in Zagreb in the middle of all the excitement as team captain. I cannot read her mind, but you cannot either.
Just sayin' that if I were her, it would not be so easy for me. Behind any joking around would be a longing to compete (and win) again with my partner at my side where he belongs. YMMV.

As I indicated in my previous post, I hope that she is finding a little humor in her unfamiliar situation this year. And I wish P/B all the best for a strong return at Worlds.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
YMMV ;). I would not say that it was "very clear."

On the other hand, I was never suggesting any kind of excessive, worrisome disorientation. And I was using the word figuratively, not in a clinical or literal sense.
I was merely agreeing with her that attending Euros without being in full competition mode must feel extremely strange -- especially because they are veterans who have been major players at Euros year after year.

As I indicated in my previous post, I hope that she is finding a little humor in her unfamiliar situation this year. And I wish P/B all the best for a strong return at Worlds.
I can't speak for Nathalie, but I have read many interviews with them and her FB posts, and I seriously doubt that the "disorientation" interpretation is the correct one. I'm sure she is sad to miss Euros - but her FB post from last week makes it pretty clear that while it is disappointing, P/B are looking ahead at this point, not sitting around and moping. They know what they need to do to succeed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
She sounds bummed she isnt skating. And she is sharing what her mind is going through. I don't see anything negative about what she posted. She is making light of a bad situation.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yikes, I never would have dreamed that for some people the innocent word "disorientation" would be loaded with some sort of evil connotation.
As I have tried to explain above, my original usage of it was intended to be a supportive reference to Pechalat's Facebook message.
I never said or implied that she was moping. I never said anything critical or judgmental about her at all -- because I have nothing but admiration for P/B.
And I find it very endearing that she misses her partner. (Lest there be any confusion: that comment is a compliment to the strong bonds between Pechalat and Bourzat. Please do not try to twist it into something negative.)

[As for accuracy of interpretation, Buttercup, one thing I can say with complete certainty is that your posts show that you twice have badly misinterpreted me. :confused2:]