Thread: 2013 Canadians Senior Pairs SP

Hybrid View

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar

2013 Canadians Senior Pairs SP

Senior Pair competition (Canadian Nats)

Short Program starting order from http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2...artOrders.pdf:

1 Taylor Steele / Simon-Pierre Côté WO
    2 Brittany Jones / Ian Beharry WO
    3 Margaret Purdy / Michael Marinaro WO

4 Kirsten Moore-Towers / Dylan Moscovitch WO
    5 Paige Lawrence / Rudi Swiegers SK
    7 Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford QC

WD Jessica Dube / Sebastien Wolfe QC

(Esp. with such a small field, I'm thinking that one thread will be sufficient for discussion of both the SP and LP. Mods, if you disagree, pls feel free to change the thread title.)

Custom Title
    PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - POSITION AFTER 4 OF 6

Rank Competitors Section SP FP TOTAL
    1 Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch WO 68.23 - 68.23
    2 Margaret Purdy & Michael Marinaro WO 54.25 - 54.25
    3 Brittany Jones & Ian Beharry WO 51.57 - 51.57
    4 Taylor Steele & Simon-Pierre Côté WO 44.04 - 44.04
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Has Canadian pairs tanked that much that there are so few entries or?

Custom Title
    PAIRS SHORT PROGRAM - POSITION AFTER 5 OF 6

Rank Competitors Section SP FP TOTAL
    1 Kirsten Moore-Towers & Dylan Moscovitch WO 68.23 - 68.23
    2 Paige Lawrence & Rudi Swiegers SK 54.42 - 54.42
    3 Margaret Purdy & Michael Marinaro WO 54.25 - 54.25
    4 Brittany Jones & Ian Beharry WO 51.57 - 51.57
    5 Taylor Steele & Simon-Pierre Côté WO 44.04 - 44.04
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-18-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Looks like MT&M skated well.. gotta check out PJ Kwong's live blog

Really close between D&R and MT&M, should be an interesting FS, and wow, L&S are also in a tie with P&M

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Has Canadian pairs tanked that much that there are so few entries or?
    I think their were four break-ups/retirements last season from teams that competed at Nationals 2012.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    It will be a very close battle for the gold and bronze!

Extremely impressive program layout for Duhamel/Radford with solo jump and throw in the second half of the program. Great transitions as well.

They have the technical goods now as well as strong choreo from the amazing Julie Marcotte. Just need some polishing. Making the basic skating, postures and lines a little stronger and they will have the whole package. Great team.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch skated clean but the lower bases values cost them the top spot (Lv2 death spiral to D/R's Lv4 and easier jumps).

Lawrence/Swiegers fell on the 3toe and had some negative GOE on some other elements.

Decent effort from Purdy/Marinaro and Jones/Beharry.

All in all looked like a good event on paper, at least. Shame there were only 6 teams.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    US Nationals will have more teams, but they will have nothing like as great skating. Quality is more important than quantity.

I really like Duhamel & Radford's short...It's a shame about the stumble on Eric's lutz...but they are the only ones doing a lutz, either, internationally right now, AFAIR.

I think what Doris said is being misunderstood. She said that the USA will have the more quantity of pairs but that CANADA has the better quality.

I don't see the slight some have interpretted her statement to have.

Custom Title
    ^^ No problema, like I said, opinions vary. IMO, there are "quality" pairs teams in the U.S. Certainly, Canada's top two teams are currently at a much higher level of rep, competitive experience, and competitive achievements than C/S, S/K and D/S, et al. As far as Denney/ Coughlin, they are competitive with Canada's top teams technically, even if not so much presentation-wise.

I really enjoy Duhamel/ Radford a great deal because I feel and I'm inspired by their energy, determination and desire. They are an excellent team and their work with Julie Marcotte has helped lift them to the next level. M-T/M are quite good as well, though not one of my favorite teams at the moment. I also enjoy watching Beharry/ Jones, Lawrence/ Sweigers, and Purdy/ Marinaro. IMHO, Castelli/ Shnapir are competitive with 3 - 6 place Canadian pairs teams. Also, Scimeca/ Knierim are a new but quite good team for the short length of their partnership, and are improving fast. Donlan/ Speroff have superlative artistry and great potential if they are able to improve technically. All of the U.S. teams have "quality," even if they aren't all currently in the same league as the top two Canadian pairs teams.

It's absolutely true that the top two Canadian pairs teams today are very highly regarded and highly accomplished and would score higher than the American teams, especially with D/C not at full strength and possibly not going to Worlds. However, it is a conceit to think that Canadian pairs have always been better or more accomplished than U.S. teams, and I think this is and has been a conceit held by many regardless of nationality. At 2010 Olympics, Evora/ Ladwig skated circles around the two Canadian teams, but were low-balled in the marks and placed behind those teams. As much as I used to enjoy Dube/ Davison the judges gifted them at that event in the scoring.

Prior to the rise of D/R and M-T/M, I always felt that Canada's pairs teams post-S/P retirement were on a par with U.S. teams, but perhaps because of S/P legacy, Canadian pairs teams that immediately followed seemed to benefit from S/P afterglow, IMHO. Granted Dube/ Davison were very talented, but they never fully reached their potential before splitting up.

It seems to me Tonichelle that DorisPulaski was responding to something you said or asked in regard to whether Canadian teams had "tanked," simply because there weren't that many competing. That was a strange question/ assumption on your part, IMO. In her response, DP may not have intended to slight U.S. teams, and she's right from her perspective if she feels the U.S. pairs competition won't be as exciting. However, once again, I differ with her reference to "quality" comparisons. And personally, I'm looking forward to the "excitement" that is sure to be present throughout U.S. Nationals this week in every discipline.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-21-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    It's absolutely true that the top two Canadian pairs teams today are very highly regarded and highly accomplished and would score higher than the American teams, especially with D/C not at full strength and possibly not going to Worlds. However, it is a conceit to think that Canadian pairs have always been better or more accomplished than U.S. teams, and I think this is and has been a conceit held by many regardless of nationality. At 2010 Olympics, Evora/ Ladwig skated circles around the two Canadian teams, but were low-balled in the marks and placed behind those teams. As much as I used to enjoy Dube/ Davison the judges gifted them at that event in the scoring.

Prior to the rise of D/R and M-T/M, I always felt that Canada's pairs teams post-S/P retirement were on a par with U.S. teams, but perhaps because of S/P legacy, Canadian pairs teams that immediately followed seemed to benefit from S/P afterglow, IMHO. Granted Dube/ Davison were very talented, but they never fully reached their potential before splitting up.
    I'm sorry but Canadian Pairs Teams have won 10 World Championships since 1950, and two Olympic Gold Medals. The American Pairs have won two World Championships in the same time frame, and the last American Pair to win a World Championship was Babalonia & Gardner in 1979. The US simply does not have the history or the tradition of a strong pairs program and you don't have coaching schools devoted to Pairs. The emphasis in the US is on singles skating and Pairs is seen as a last resort for failed singles skaters, whereas in Canada, skaters give up promising singles careers to skate Pairs.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think what Doris said is being misunderstood. She said that the USA will have the more quantity of pairs but that CANADA has the better quality.

I don't see the slight some have interpretted her statement to have.
    BTW, I should say, this was about Nationals, and therefore had nothing to do with D/C, who weren't skating.

And I am very fond of Castelli/Shnapir, who have made great strides this year. I hope they continue to surprise me. And that Scimeca/Knierim continue to improve. They have had a great debut at Nationals.