Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Canadians Senior Pairs SP

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    IIRC, Gainetdinova/Bich (Russian Junior team) are the only other pair team to attempt 3lutz in competition at the moment.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    US Nationals will have more teams, but they will have nothing like as great skating. Quality is more important than quantity. ...
    And the article below (written after the SP) is channeling Doris.

Meghan [sic] Duhamel, Eric Radford hold onto tight lead

Excerpt:
    MISSISSAUGA, ONT. - Don't judge quality on quantity.
    There are only six senior pairs at the Canadian figure skating nationals, but the top two teams should provide the most nail-biting drama this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong about the tie.
    No worries, blue. I assumed that you meant that Lawrence/Swiegers and Purdy/Marinaro are in a virtual tie -- with a gap of only 0.17.

Custom Title
    Has anyone heard what Debbie Wilkes has had to say to explain the small numbers of pairs skaters? She was saying she would cover it later but I don't know if she's done it yet.

Custom Title
    US Nationals will have more teams, but they will have nothing like as great skating. Quality is more important than quantity.

I really like Duhamel & Radford's short...It's a shame about the stumble on Eric's lutz...but they are the only ones doing a lutz, either, internationally right now, AFAIR.
    I believe they are also the only ones doing 3 Lutz throw. Their program is packed with high technical difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I believe they are also the only ones doing 3 Lutz throw. Their program is packed with high technical difficulties.
    3LzTh and 3FTh are actually almost the same, since the take-off edge doesn't make a difficulty difference in the throw flip/lutz (they have in fact the same BV, 5.50)

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch SP video:

(The link worked for me in the U.S.)
    Last edited by golden411; 01-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Rinkside
    Correction....... Lawrence and Swiegers has been doing 3 Lutz throws since Juniors.....in 2008 in Saskatoon. ( I believe it also got a huge bonus for a mark of 7.20)

MTM Short program, poor quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCuzBePgsQ

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    MTM Short program, poor quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCuzBePgsQ
    See post #21 above for TSN's own link to nice, crisp video of Moore-Towers/Moscovitch SP.

ETA:
    Again, the TSN video is not geoblocked for me in the U.S.
    Vid is 4:26 in length.

ETA:
    And I neglected to say earlier that I believe there is a nice backstory to the availability of the TSN video for the M-T/M SP.
    Moore-Towers had asked via Twitter whether anyone knew of any online video of their SP yesterday.
    A producer for TSN sent a reply tweet to her with the link. My hunch (although I cannot be 100% sure) is that he was kind enough to upload their SP in direct response to her request.
    Last edited by golden411; 01-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Custom Title
    US Nationals will have more teams, but they will have nothing like as great skating. Quality is more important than quantity.

I really like Duhamel & Radford's short...It's a shame about the stumble on Eric's lutz...but they are the only ones doing a lutz, either, internationally right now, AFAIR.
    Sure the two top Canadian teams will likely score higher at Worlds than U.S. teams sans Denney/ Coughlin (if D/C do go to Worlds they are competitive with top Canadian teams technically, but have more work to do presentation-wise, and in terms of choreo).

In any case, I would not be so dismissive of up-and-coming U.S. teams, including Castelli/ Shnapir; Scimeca/ Knierim; and even Donlan/ Speroff (if they become stronger technically).

Someone mentioned break-ups of Canadian teams. Obviously, there have been break-ups and withdrawals among U.S. pairs as well, so there aren't many U.S. teams competing either at Nationals, as in past years.

Fans should smell the roses and appreciate what all teams have to offer regardless of nationality.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Fans should smell the roses and appreciate what all teams have to offer regardless of nationality.
    Unless those teams (or individuals) are from Canada? And Canadian fans shouldn't tout their teams? Lord knows they have to put up with a lot of garbage about their skaters and any decent marks are dismissed as some nefarious plot by judges to favour Canadians. The skating at Nationals has, so far, been spectacular and there's nothing wrong with praising the wonderful young Canadian skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by stickle View Post
    Unless those teams (or individuals) are from Canada? And Canadian fans shouldn't tout their teams? Lord knows they have to put up with a lot of garbage about their skaters and any decent marks are dismissed as some nefarious plot by judges to favour Canadians. The skating at Nationals has, so far, been spectacular and there's nothing wrong with praising the wonderful young Canadian skaters.
    Of course Canadian teams should be praised, and this is after all a Canadian Nationals thread. I'm in here because I enjoy watching many Canadian skaters. I absolutely loved Duhamel/Radford at last year's Nationals ... they were fantastic. Their fp performance and reaction in particular to me represented what figure skating is all about. I was not a fan of theirs when I first saw them, but I am a fan now and I'm rooting for them to medal at Worlds.

Still, I don't think there's any need to say: "U.S. Nationals will have more teams, but nothing like as great skating." That kind of comment smacks of the defensiveness that some Canadian fans seem to project at times. Even feeling as if you "have to put up with a lot of garbage about [Canadian] skaters" seems so over-dramatic and over-possessive and nose-in-the-air defensive.

Celebrate all of Canada's wonderful skaters ... they have an amazing history/ legacy and a wonderful present. I love S/P, D/R, Toller, Kurt, Brian O, Elvis, Bourne/ Kraatz, Weaver/ Poje, Mitchell/ Islam, Gilles/ Poirier, and I very much enjoyed Jessica Dube with her partners. I also enjoy watching Kevin Reynolds, Eman Sandhu, Eladj Balde, Jeffrey Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Shawn Sawyer, Beharry/ Jones, Purdy/ Marinaro, Virtue/ Moir (and former ice dancers Wing/ Lowe & Dubreil/ Lauzon), and I'm warming somewhat to PChid (I liked Patrick immediately when I first saw him skate, but I lost some of my liking of him along the rocky, 'over-hyped' way). Right now, I'm very impressed with Kaetlyn Osmond -- she's pretty special.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-19-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Custom Title
    Still, I don't think there's any need to say: "U.S. Nationals will have more teams, but nothing like as great skating." That kind of comment smacks of the defensiveness that some Canadian fans seem to project at times.
    I assume you don't know that the poster who wrote that comment is an American, not a Canadian. Therefore your entire post is really not relevant.

Having said that, I certainly would not underestimate some of the up-and-coming U.S. teams. If they actually stay together (here's hoping) they could have a real impact in two or three years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I assume you don't know that the poster who wrote that comment is an American, not a Canadian. Therefore your entire post is really not relevant.

Having said that, I certainly would not underestimate some of the up-and-coming U.S. teams. If they actually stay together (here's hoping) they could have a real impact in two or three years.
    Yes, I didn't think for sure the OP was Canadian when I posted my initial comments. Still, I do find stickle's response about "garbage our skaters put up with" to be defensive and over-possessiveness. All skaters generally have to "put up with garbage" from fans and the media. As far as the "American" OP's comment about "lack of quality" among U.S. pairs, I disagree with her assessment and her irrelevant comparison especially within the context of this thread, but opinions vary. Personally, I'm just as excited to see all the disciplines at up-and-coming U.S. Nationals, despite the break-ups as well as the injuries that necessitated withdrawals among U.S pairs teams.

Canadians are also Americans, naturally.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-19-2013 at 11:51 PM.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    A fair amount of teams perform it.

Since the lady is assisted by the man on the take-off the flip/lutz entry is interchangeable really and you'll often see the same team getting credited either with flip or lutz at different events.

Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Still, I don't think there's any need to say: "U.S. Nationals will have more teams, but nothing like as great skating."
    Well it's true so deal with it. ;P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast