Lysacek out of US Nationals | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of US Nationals

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-skate-championships-20130118,0,5186383.story

What has seemed like a foregone conclusion for two months now is official: Evan Lysacek will not compete at next week’s U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Omaha after being sidelined in mid-November by surgery to repair a sports hernia.

The hernia was the second setback in Lysacek’s comeback plans for this season.

Lysacek, who has not competed since winning the 2010 Olympic gold medal, withdrew from Skate America in late October with a groin injury.
“It’s disappointing because health-wise I’m fine (now),” Lysacek said in a statement. “Due to the long layoff from the surgery, I still need about three more weeks to get back into competition form.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The only surprising thing would be if Lysacek is actually able to defend his OGM. It would require a dreadful men's event, but who knows? Olympic ice is especially slippery.

That said, I am glad that he's taking care with his recovery and wish him the best of health.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The only surprising thing would be if Lysacek is actually able to defend his OGM. It would require a dreadful men's event

LOL that is an understatement. It would require such carnage you would think bombs were dropping from the sky, and several skaters needing to be taken to emergency after the brutal bruising from all the falls.

It would be atleast a slight surprise if Evan is even in Sochi period, be that via not even skating at Nationals and abandoning his comeback completely (most likely IMO) or not even qualifying for the Olympic team at Nationals (also a fair possability).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the news, Toni.

I wonder what Lysacek's PR strategy is. According to @olyphil's tweet, Hersh knew that he would be the first to report the story. https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/292376602631888896

- Does that mean that USFSA had not yet been informed? If not, why not? (Going to the press first does not seem like a good way to endear oneself to one's federation.)
- Or if USFSA already was aware, but intentionally did not go public right away, why not?

gmyers

Record Breaker
If the United States has 2 or 3 spots for Sochi and there is team event and Lysacek could get one of those spots maybe he can do the team event and help the US in that and not even really be like "i'm going for gold" though you never know with his reputation and what jumps he shows up with if he do a medal caliber performance in the singles category.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As of a few minutes ago, USFSA has caught up and made its own announcement: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48896&type=media

LYSACEK WITHDRAWS FROM 2013 PRUDENTIAL U.S. FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS

(1/18/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that he has withdrawn from the 2013 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, which will take place Jan. 20-27 in Omaha, Neb.

Lysacek, 27, who had surgery in November to repair a sports hernia, has been training in southern California with Frank Carroll and Karen Kwan-Oppegard.

"It's disappointing because health-wise I'm fine," Lysacek said. "Due to the long layoff from the surgery I still need about three more weeks to get back into competition form. The good news is I am finally healthy, back to a full training schedule and already working hard to be ready for next season to defend my Olympic title at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi."

In addition to winning the 2010 Olympic Winter Games gold medal, Lysacek is the 2009 World champion and a two-time U.S. champion (2007, '08).​

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think even in a team event Abbott and Miner would be better options to help the U.S win a team medal than Evan at this point. I dont see him showing up at Nationals next year but even if he does I dont see him making the team unless he is in great shape, skates relatively cleanly, maybe lands a quad, and Evan, Miner, and possibly Dornbush all make mistakes.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evan and Johnny need to realize that their time has come and gone and just retire.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

The good news is I am finally healthy, back to a full training schedule and already working hard to be ready for next season to defend my Olympic title at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi."

Sorry Evan, buuuuut ... no.

Though, it would be nice to see him actually make some sort of comeback next season.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is cute to see him even talking about defending his Olympic title. It is mindful of a scene when a little boy says to their mom they are going to fly to the moon someday, and she pinches him on the cheek and says that is cute, keep dreaming honey. It reminds me of Mira Leung talking about the Vancouver Olympics in fall of 2009.