Lysacek out of US Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lysacek out of US Nationals

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am just floored. Shocked. I just didn't see this happening. What yet another comeback foiled. I am sorry for the sarcasm but sometimes you do have to wonder who genuinely is coming back. I have no idea what is going on in these skaters minds and yes injuries do happen but maybe that is the problem pushing themselves too much??? too fast?? Maybe because I see so much drama in my life I don't need to constantly see it in skating. But I wish skaters could make a decision and go with it. Somehow some people questioned this comeback like Cohen,like Weir, like even rumours years ago of Kwan coming back after 2002. I think when he didn't say much at the GOlden GLobes will be a subtle hint. Actually the fact that he is still relevant to be invited to the Golden Globes he should be happy. he has had more than his 15 minutes of fame.

Icey

Record Breaker
I don't guess it hurt the event or USFSA to delay the announcement and let people think Evan might still be competing. If it was intentional though, I don't think that is a nice thing to do. Personally, I'm disappointed.

NMURA

Medalist
There he goes again. Lysacek withdrew from SA just one week before. This time he could postpone to the last minute. No need to replace with anybody.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ref: "I still need three more weeks to get back into competitive form"
Darn...Missed it by THAT MUCH! (thumb and forefinger pinched in front of mouth)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Maybe he'll ask for a medical bye onto the world team :) worlds is over 3 weeks away

I would be willing to bet alot of money he:

a. does not ask for one.
b. does not get one in the unlikely chance he asks for one.

it would be one thing if he looked like a likely medalist at the World Championships but that is obviously far from the case. That is the only time the USFSA gives byes, especialy to someone who hasnt competed for years.

Krislite

Medalist
I wonder why he continues to talk as if his comeback attempt has any credibility? It's too little too late at this point in the game.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would be willing to bet alot of money he:

a. does not ask for one.
b. does not get one in the unlikely chance he asks for one.

it would be one thing if he looked like a likely medalist at the World Championships but that is obviously far from the case. That is the only time the USFSA gives byes, especialy to someone who hasnt competed for years.

I wouldn't think so, but the "3 weeks" comment seemed odd.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, just 3 more weeks and Evan would be competitive worthy? If that is true this is so sad - about the injury/ surgery and how close he is to being competitive worthy. but sarcasm or not why do I doubt this is anything but a pr comment. Give me a year and I will be ready for the Olympics. Of course I have to learn how to skate first:)

Same here, Deedee. You never know: Plushenko claimed he was coming back in 2010, and he certainly pulled it off. YuNa (fingers crossed) seems well on her way to an effective comeback. Of course I was hopeful for Evan. After all, it's not as if American skaters are so rich in champions right now. If Even rode in like a knight in armor and got us a spot on or even near the podium at Worlds, it would be more than any other U.S. man has done in this Olympic cycle.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And Joshua? He can't win?

He could but I dont see the judges giving him the PCS to win this year atleast. Who knows though.

I am a big believer in Joshua; if he skates like he did in Lake Placid but completely clean, he could win. However, he doesn't seem to attract the PCS boost at Nationals that others (Abbott, Miner, Rippon) do. I don't understand why.

You never know: Plushenko claimed he was coming back in 2010, and he certainly pulled it off..

Plushenko is special. Whether you like him or not, you have to admit that he is. He has a will of iron and determination of steel; his mind can override his body to do what it needs to do. He burns for the competition and the glory and medals. He knows what it is to fight; from his very youngest days he had to fight for everything. I wonder if that has made a difference in terms of overall mindset, compared to the (relative) silver-spoon upbringings of Weir and Lysacek.

I never took Weir's nor Lysacek's comebacks seriously from the start. Just to begin with, obtaining a quad at this age/period of career when one never possessed it in the first place is not normally within the usual capabilities of even a very good skater.

Perhaps Lysacek knew he was facing the ingloriousness of not even getting a medal at Nationals, which was a distinct possibility IMO. If he's smart, this'll be the end of his competitive road (same with Weir). They're not contenders now and they won't be next year. Lysacek would be lucky to finish top five at the next Olympics, let alone defend his OGM.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Plushenko is special. Whether you like him or not, you have to admit that he is. He has a will of iron and determination of steel; his mind can override his body to do what it needs to do. He burns for the competition and the glory and medals. He knows what it is to fight; from his very youngest days he had to fight for everything. I wonder if that has made a difference in terms of overall mindset, compared to the (relative) silver-spoon upbringings of Weir and Lysacek.

I never took Weir's nor Lysacek's comebacks seriously from the start. Just to begin with, obtaining a quad at this age/period of career when one never possessed it in the first place is not normally within the usual capabilities of even a very good skater.

Perhaps Lysacek knew he was facing the ingloriousness of not even getting a medal at Nationals, which was a distinct possibility IMO. If he's smart, this'll be the end of his competitive road (same with Weir). They're not contenders now and they won't be next year. Lysacek would be lucky to finish top five at the next Olympics, let alone defend his OGM.

The other thing about Plushy is that he was one of the best jumpers in the world when he was in his prime, and he can still land quads despite his "advanced" age. I never understood why Weir and Lysacek even talked about their "comeback" except for some media attention since they were never that technically strong (I'm specifically talking about their ability to land big jumps). Comebacks are hard even for technically strong skaters who can do big tricks that earn big points. They're impossible for people who were never that strong even in their prime.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The other thing about Plushy is that he was one of the best jumpers in the world when he was in his prime, and he can still land quads despite his "advanced" age. I never understood why Weir and Lysacek even talked about their "comeback" except for some media attention since they were never that technically strong (I'm specifically talking about their ability to land big jumps). Comebacks are hard even for technically strong skaters who can do big tricks that earn big points. They're impossible for people who were never that strong even in their prime.

I want to say I know it sounds mean, so negative to "doubt" these comebacks or have such skeptism. And I know there are ie. Evan fans, Sasha fans, Johnny fans and I have no idea truly the heart and minds of these skaters and really why they are doing it. We would love it for pure motives but realistically I agree with so many of the comments. Sure we can dream but so many of them are stalled for many reasons - the body is not what it used to be or has been punished too long, mental issues, time has passsed and motivaton wanes, you don't tell the media but you do have psycholoical doubts. the wear and tear on the body etc. In the old prehistoric days your yes was yes and no was no to competitive skating as the rules were much more clear pro versus amateur. I will be pounded and beaten by Evan lovers but for some reason and I have no evidence I always thought Evan's so called comeback and it still may come was not all that realistic or perhaps honest. I know pure speculation. Unless Evan has made huge artistic strives I really am not sure why he would want to "tarnish" - he is a OGM and WGM - go out on top. There are many Evan lovers and most will argue Evan deserved his win over Plushy but the scores speak themselves - it was hardly decisive. I really think he is not so much pushing his body but pushing his luck. I guess karma is in th eeye of the beholder or "justice" but he maybe pushing his luck because I could see him well off the podium at the world level and even Nationals. Yes, he is a competitior but if he skates with errors he doesn't have Tak, Chan or Hanyu skating skills or artistry. A nice Vera Wang costume is going to only go so far. Yes, he could skate cleanly but he never ever had the magic of a super personality on ice Joubert, Plushy or Candelero, classical beautiful skating like Yagudin, Umanov, Peterenko or the artistry of Orser, Buttle, Lambiel. Yes, i freely admit this is just a feeling. I don't wish him bad but I wish he was happy with what he has done and move on. But I do understand it is his life.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Same here, Deedee. You never know: Plushenko claimed he was coming back in 2010, and he certainly pulled it off. YuNa (fingers crossed) seems well on her way to an effective comeback. Of course I was hopeful for Evan. After all, it's not as if American skaters are so rich in champions right now. If Even rode in like a knight in armor and got us a spot on or even near the podium at Worlds, it would be more than any other U.S. man has done in this Olympic cycle.
I agree with Nadia - on top of everything karne mentioned, Plushenko also has vastly better jump technique than Lysacek, who never had a consistent quad and whose 3A was more like a 3S. Mishin jump technique is very helpful to a skater, and Evan doesn't have it.

In addition, there is no comparison between the current level of the men and either the current level of the ladies or the level of the men's competition circa 2009-10. The bar for the guys is insanely high at the moment.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I don't know if he will compete at Worlds but he needs any B event to get minimum score for it.