Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Senior Short Dance (Canadian Nats)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The start of the polka (music wise) seemed as abrupt as before to me--there might be a little more transitions from polka back to waltz it afterwards, but it's the sharp transition of going from depressed girl to polka girl that is gone now, and a very good thing that is IMO That might be what you're feeling. It's a much more coherent program than the first SD version they were doing at previous events. Again, IMO.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The start of the polka (music wise) seemed as abrupt as before to me--there might be a little more transitions from polka back to waltz it afterwards, but it's the sharp transition of going from depressed girl to polka girl that is gone now, and a very good thing that is IMO That might be what you're feeling. It's a much more coherent program than the first SD version they were doing at previous events. Again, IMO.
    I agree Doris. My impression of their earlier SDs was that it was really a waltz that was crammed in with a polka. Today, the polka does seem a lot more integrated.

Custom Title
    Thanks Doris and Mrs. P for your explanations - I can see what you are both saying, and really enjoy this dance oh so much more now.

Custom Title
    ITA. by making it all one mood vs troubled/happy!/troubled it smooths out the transition from waltz/polka/waltz. i like the sd before but i think i like it more now.

Also, i like the inclusion of the playful bit in the middle but the ending pose makes me a little worried that they could accidentally knock each others teeth out

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneur View Post
    ITA. by making it all one mood vs troubled/happy!/troubled it smooths out the transition from waltz/polka/waltz. i like the sd before but i think i like it more now.

Also, i like the inclusion of the playful bit in the middle but the ending pose makes me a little worried that they could accidentally knock each others teeth out
    LOL. I was thinking, they were close enough for one big smooch. (Yes, sometimes my inner 16 year old comes out.)

Custom Title
    Given the plethora of level 4s given for the YP, you've gotta assume that the panel was on the generous side, though V/M definitely had a great skate. As Mrs. P said, he looked like he actually enjoyed what he was doing, which adds to the polka feeling.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Oh no, such an unfortunate mistake for Ralph/Hill. And so costly too. :(

They are one of my favourite dance teams but being so far behind now, that's it. They are off the team. :(

Yes, unfortunately making up ground in dance is almost impossible, particularly when the tech panel is being very generous. I like Ralph & Hill, and will miss seeing them next year.

Custom Title
    Why do you think the tech panel was generous?

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    Yes, unfortunately making up ground in dance is almost impossible, particularly when the tech panel is being very generous. I like Ralph & Hill, and will miss seeing them next year.
    Did I miss something? I don't recall hearing that this was to be Ralph and Hill's last season... Please say it isn't so!

Quote Originally Posted by bellafurr View Post
    Why do you think the tech panel was generous?
    I can't answer for dorispulaski, but I think it has something to do with the amount of level 4 polka patterns seen - throughout the fall, even the top two teams in the world were struggling with achieving level 4's, so to have so many in one place seems odd. However, that would be in contrast to how strict the technical panel was last year, and that had turned out to be a good thing, so I'm not sure why they'd have become more lenient this year.

While I am ready to believe V&M deserved 2 level 4's on the YP, and a level 4 on the not touching step in the SD, the likelihood of P&G getting 2 level four YP segments, and Paul & Islam getting two level 4 YP segments and Orford & Williams geting one Level 4 YP segment, and Ralph & Hill getting 1 level four YP segment, and Paradis & Ouellette getting one YP level 4 segment, and Poulin & Servant getting 1 level 4 YP segment (in fact only the last two teams didn't get at least one level 4 Yankee Polka segment) is pretty striking. That's more level 4 YP segments than you'd see if you added all the level 4 YP segments that have been done so far this year. It looks like the tech panel was fairly lenient to me.

http://results.skatecanada.ca/2012-2...gesDetails.pdf

I would guess it is not the same panel as last year...some tech panels are rather lenient (think 2011 GPF, where practically every team had level 4 rhumba segments) and some tech panels are rather stringent (2012 Skate Canada, where Tessa & Scott did not receive the minimum TES for Worlds (not that they needed it, because they had already achieved and overachieved the TES needed at 2012 Worlds). That was one tough panel...

Why won't you see Ralph & Hill after this year, Doris? Are they done?

I'm afraid they are going to finish out of where they will be funded...

when that happens, a lot of skaters either can't afford to continue or decide not to continue.

I hope R&H stay with it.

I particularly liked their programs last year.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Also, when you look at the PCS, both in the SD and FD, Ralph/Hill were clearly sixth so the judges are sending them a not very subtle "YOU CAN LEAVE NOW" message. :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast