2013 Canadian Sr Ladies LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Canadian Sr Ladies LP

Scout

Final Flight
Looking at the protocols, most of Osmond's PCS fell in the 8 - 9.5 range. Not happening at Worlds, I'm afraid.

Definitely not, but I'm sure she's aware of that, as are all medalists. Scores are always inflated at a nationals competition, and, for some reason, especially so at Canadians.

rain

Record Breaker
I'm so impressed with Osmond. Her presentation of that program has improved tremendously from the beginning of the season. The artistic impression of it now is in a totally different league. The choreography is as sophisticated as anyone out there — and packed! She is just improving leaps and bounds, practically month to month. Such a bright future.

wallylutz

Medalist
Looking at the protocols, most of Osmond's PCS fell in the 8 - 9.5 range. Not happening at Worlds, I'm afraid.

What makes you so certain that will be the case? Is it because she is young? Lack of reputation? Or was that an actual assessment based on what you saw in her skating?

Historically, ladies are capable of winning World Championship at very young age. Lipinski at 14 on her 2nd World Championship. Oksana Baiul at 16 at her 1st World Championship.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so certain to have a crystal ball lined up to make such Napoleonic prediction.

wallylutz

Medalist
I wondered why that was counted as a sequence instead of a combo....thanks for the answer!

I saw her skate tonight so I can comment on that. From my angle, it felt as though Chartrand did a 3turn in between the two Triples as opposed to a half loop. In fact, she lost her balance a bit coming off the 3Lz and the 2nd Triple was really wonky, almost looked like 3 Toe in lieu of a 3 Salchow. Honest to god, I totally missed the half loop she did. See, I would have marked it as a sequence too. But, that was just from my angle and no replay. It went by so fast.

I'd love the check the replay on that because now I am very curious.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Worlds in canada! It's going to have an effect. maybe not in the 9's PCS but she is so in the mix for a medal or close to it.

wallylutz

Medalist
You're right. Even if it's going to be held in Canada, her PCS won't be high as Yuna, Caro, and Mao:)

That's what they said about Suzuki vs. Osmond. But if one accepts, that Suzuki, a current World Medalist, is in the same league as the 3 ladies you mentioned, then they need to be worried. Because Osmond matched Suzuki on PCS under an international panel and took advantage of technical mistakes made by Suzuki to defeat her overall. Caro and Mao have historicaly demonstrated that they are extremely capable of total self-destruction at World Championships under pressure. I'd say they don't need to self-destruct for Osmond to beat them. They will have some cushion for sure but not much, maybe room for one major and one minor but not more.

herios

Medalist
You're right. Even if it's going to be held in Canada, her PCS won't be high as Yuna, Caro, and Mao:)

Who is saying they will be? For God's sake, she will be a debutant at Worlds, those who are expecting her to contend for a medal are completely unrealistic.
A top 8 would be a good result, an evetual top 6 would be GREAT!.

wallylutz

Medalist
Who is saying they will be? For God's sake, she will be a debutant at Worlds, those who are expecting her to contend for a medal are completely unrealistic.
A top 8 would be a good result, an evetual top 6 would be GREAT!.

I think Top 10 finish would be considered a success. That said, with the sad state of ladies skating these days and a number of injuries affecting some of the top ladies, anything is possible and that would not be unrealistic. You only need to start looking around who are left standing now in the ladies world.

Japan: Asada just won her nationals with 3 clean triples and this is actually one of her better skate, meaning she could do worse than that.

USA : A big ? overall. Wagner is injured. Czisny is not even sure being able to come back. Gold is an unknown / dark horse. Nagasu has the potential but definitely in the league of Osmond.

Europe : Korpi, the top European lady this season is injured. All the Russian ladies who will be at Worlds have already been beaten by Osmond this season. Kostner is on the road of recovery but her technical content is thin, even if she repeats her content from last year, there are some questions whether that's enough to handle the onslaught of 3/3 and the more difficult Triples, like the Lutz, which she doesn't do anymore, especially if she is unable to even maintain last year's rather water-downed content.

All said and done, this leaves only Yu Na Kim. In her only outing this season, she struggled through her LP, with a fall and multiple errors. Definitely not the former Yu Na that we were used to quite yet. Still, she will be a favorite going in but that's only one person.

Looking at this overall picture, is it as unrealistic as you think that Osmond could medal at the World Championship?

Last edited:

Moment

Final Flight
She's a very good performer with a distinct character and I enjoyed it. That said, her FP is far from perfect, I think her step and choreographic sequences need a lot of improvement.

Can't wait to see what SC is going to with regards to naming the 4CC team her either.

I guess Osmond, Daleman and Chartrand should be sent but maybe they'll try to squeeze Lacoste in somehow? Although doubt it given as lovely as Amelie's skating is, she's never been consistent sadly.

figuristka

Medalist
The younger ladies are getting better. These junior ladies seem to be able to perform well and not skate cautious. Osmond was solid as usual and always has that sense of performance in her skating. Daleman also impressed me, such attack. Chartrand looks promising too.

figuristka

Medalist
She's a very good performer with a distinct character and I enjoyed it. That said, her FP is far from perfect, I think her step and choreographic sequences need a lot of improvement.

Great performer but that last footwork sequence is very slow near the end. Its one thing that stood out for me as something not yet as good at the top ladies in the world. She iam sure can improve that. She has come so far in just one year already.

figuristka

Medalist
Iam a bit surprise there are not more videos from Nationals available. Iam lucky this year iam in Canada to watch but when there are so many videos available so quickly for Japanese Nationals and Russian Nationals online but iam sorry to see not many for Canadian Nationals. Daleman's Free is a performance also worth watching as well and for the other disciplines the top 2 in Pairs, for men Reynolds free, Sandhu's short program was beautiful even if it did not rank high. Baby Nam'd free was fun to watch and Patrick both short and free as even with the 2 mistakes i found has improved so much artistically. Seemed alot more relaxed than GPF.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Great performer but that last footwork sequence is very slow near the end. Its one thing that stood out for me as something not yet as good at the top ladies in the world. She iam sure can improve that. She has come so far in just one year already.

I noticed that too, IIRC it happened in both the SP and FS, so hopefully they'll be working on it in the run up to Worlds. It really stood out since the rest of the performance had so much pizzazz.

Overall this was a really good event :biggrin: I'll admit I hadn't really paid attention to the junior ladies coming up, though I'd heard talk, but better late than never!

That step sequence at the end of Osmond's program was indeed slow and laboured. I think the unexpected fall (on the easiest element in her program) took the wind out of her sails.

Again, the number of transitions in the program is incredible. Just like in the short. So many connecting movements into and out of elements.

Also, the height Osmond gets on her jumps, especially the monster 3flips is fantastic.

Good choreography and she sold it incredibly well as she always does. Her back though... so stiff! It's one thing I'll keep nitpicking on.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think Top 10 finish would be considered a success. That said, with the sad state of ladies skating these days and a number of injuries affecting some of the top ladies, anything is possible and that would not be unrealistic. You only need to start looking around who are left standing now in the ladies world.

Japan: Asada just won her nationals with 3 clean triples and this is actually one of her better skate, meaning she could do worse than that.

USA : A big ? overall. Wagner is injured. Czisny is not even sure being able to come back. Gold is an unknown / dark horse. Nagasu has the potential but definitely in the league of Osmond.

Europe : Korpi, the top European lady this season is injured. All the Russian ladies who will be at Worlds have already been beaten by Osmond this season. Kostner is on the road of recovery but her technical content is thin, even if she repeats her content from last year, there are some questions whether that's enough to handle the onslaught of 3/3 and the more difficult Triples, like the Lutz, which she doesn't do anymore, especially if she is unable to even maintain last year's rather water-downed content.

All said and done, this leaves only Yu Na Kim. In her only outing this season, she struggled through her LP, with a fall and multiple errors. Definitely not the former Yu Na that we were used to quite yet. Still, she will be a favorite going in but that's only one person.

Looking at this overall picture, is it as unrealistic as you think that Osmond could medal at the World Championship?
Yeah! Osmond for the World Champion in home London! :party2: Way to go, Canada! :rock:

Oh my... smiles ran out... :hb: