2013 Canadian Sr Ladies LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 Canadian Sr Ladies LP

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wagner doesn't sound injured to me. Sounds like her hip pointer is all healed up.

Last edited:

SXTN

Final Flight
Europe : Korpi, the top European lady this season is injured. All the Russian ladies who will be at Worlds have already been beaten by Osmond this season. Kostner is on the road of recovery but her technical content is thin, even if she repeats her content from last year, there are some questions whether that's enough to handle the onslaught of 3/3 and the more difficult Triples, like the Lutz, which she doesn't do anymore, especially if she is unable to even maintain last year's rather water-downed content.

All said and done, this leaves only Yu Na Kim. In her only outing this season, she struggled through her LP, with a fall and multiple errors. Definitely not the former Yu Na that we were used to quite yet. Still, she will be a favorite going in but that's only one person.

Not quite!

Kostner plans 7 triples this season (including 3 Lutz and 3F-3T) and has already delivered a clean 6-triple performance (3F-2T instead of -3T) at her Nationals.

Also Yuna at her Nationals landed everything cleanly, including her 3Lz-3T at Korean Nationals.

Icey

Record Breaker
Yu-na skated a wonderful lp at her nationals. The fall was a freak fall in the short program. Unlikely this will occur at Worlds. Wagner has recovered from her injury.

Osmond does wonderfully attack her programs, but in both the short and the long programs the ending portions are noticeably weaker than what preceded. In the short, I expect the choreography is so frenetic that it looks slightly sloppy. She seemed to have run out of steam in the lp, probably the fall knocked the wind out of her.

To the poster who asked about Gilles, yes, she represents Canada now. If she thought she would have a better chance in Canada, things have certainly shifted there.

I wouldn't think a top ten finish at Worlds is impossible.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
[...]

All said and done, this leaves only Yu Na Kim. In her only outing this season, she struggled through her LP, with a fall and multiple errors. Definitely not the former Yu Na that we were used to quite yet. Still, she will be a favorite going in but that's only one person.

Looking at this overall picture, is it as unrealistic as you think that Osmond could medal at the World Championship?

A month after NRW, Yuna performned a clean LP at Korean Nationals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O59GUx8iJMI

Her condition has considerably improved.

nadster

Final Flight
Can't wait to see what SC is going to with regards to naming the 4CC team her either.

I guess Osmond, Daleman and Chartrand should be sent but maybe they'll try to squeeze Lacoste in somehow? Although doubt it given as lovely as Amelie's skating is, she's never been consistent sadly.

Daleman can't go to 4CC because she is too young. That means Lacoste will go to 4CC.

Daleman can do all international senior events next season. I would not be surprised if she gets the Skate Canada spot next season. She looks ready for that move. It would be nice to see her do JGP but the loop is the jump out of steps next year which would hurt Daleman ( the only triple she doesn't have yet).

Besides there are other ladies deserving of JGP slots next season.

I would be more hesistant to put Chartrand on the senior circuit next year. Her PCS needs a lot of work and her basic skating just is not strong enough for the senior level internationally yet.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Happy for Osmond - solid FS, but she skated it better at the Challenge in December (all jump elements clean better). Such a reliable competitor.

I think Daleman is a big talent - at only 15, I hope she's survived the worst of puberty.

I was disappointed by the marks that Chatrand received (and her bronze medal) - when I see her skate, I see awkward awkward awkward. Awkward posture, awkward/stiff jumps - how she received positive GOE on any of them is a shock.

Lacoste was still worthy of the bronze medal - even with that performance. Her ease of movement, speed and general flow far surpassed Chatrand and Daleman. Jump wise, she was on par with Chatrand if the judges hadn't rewarded those crappy stiff jumps.

jaylee

Medalist
That's what they said about Suzuki vs. Osmond. But if one accepts, that Suzuki, a current World Medalist, is in the same league as the 3 ladies you mentioned, then they need to be worried. Because Osmond matched Suzuki on PCS under an international panel and took advantage of technical mistakes made by Suzuki to defeat her overall. Caro and Mao have historicaly demonstrated that they are extremely capable of total self-destruction at World Championships under pressure. I'd say they don't need to self-destruct for Osmond to beat them. They will have some cushion for sure but not much, maybe room for one major and one minor but not more.

Suzuki is not in the same league as the three reigning/former world champions Kostner, Kim, and Asada. She's a one-time world bronze medalist who's never won a GPF, 4CCs, or her own Nationals, and only two GP wins over a lengthy career. So Osmond defeating Suzuki at Skate Canada is not a good reason for why the other ladies should be worried. (There's a huge difference between one-time world bronze medalist Artur Gachinski and, say, Patrick Chan, who won his first title at those same Worlds.)

Are there reasons and scenarios in which Osmond could beat other senior ladies? Absolutely. But Osmond having beaten Suzuki isn't a good reason, particularly when Suzuki is not having a great season...

What makes you so certain that will be the case? Is it because she is young? Lack of reputation? Or was that an actual assessment based on what you saw in her skating?

Historically, ladies are capable of winning World Championship at very young age. Lipinski at 14 on her 2nd World Championship. Oksana Baiul at 16 at her 1st World Championship.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so certain to have a crystal ball lined up to make such Napoleonic prediction.

Krislite didn't say anything about Osmond not being capable of winning Worlds at a young age, just the statement that Osmond wouldn't be getting 8-9.5 range at Worlds. I would agree with this--in doing a check of the last 4 World championships, zero 9.5s were given out to the ladies. Osmond is uber-talented and an exciting young skater, but it is not a put-down to say that she's not getting up to 9.5s at Worlds when neither Kostner, Asada, Kim, Ando, etc have ever gotten 9.5s there.

Osmond hasn't even skated a clean FS internationally yet this season, and wasn't able to do it at Nationals. That is not to say she can't skate a clean FS at Worlds, but it's not set in stone. She showed she's not immune to pressure/expectations and skating perfectly in both segments in an important competition is hard to do.

In any case, she did have a great overall performance at Nationals. Her transitions, speed, and performance ability are all standouts to me. However, sometimes she rushes through her transitions, and I'd like to see her sell each move a bit more. If you're just yanking your leg up above your head, as she does after her lutz and a spread eagle, it doesn't really add anything to the performance. That's actually the kind of move that Sasha Cohen sold very well and it really enhanced her performance.

As others have pointed out, her footwork was slow and she lost steam after the 2A. Nothing unfixable but while Osmond showed her potential here, she also showed some weaknesses as well (still getting a flutz call).

wallylutz

Medalist
Not quite!

Kostner plans 7 triples this season (including 3 Lutz and 3F-3T) and has already delivered a clean 6-triple performance (3F-2T instead of -3T) at her Nationals.

Let's see how she does at Europeans where she will actually have a proper competition with some real pressure.

wallylutz

Medalist
Suzuki is not in the same league as the three reigning/former world champions Kostner, Kim, and Asada. She's a one-time world bronze medalist who's never won a GPF, 4CCs, or her own Nationals, and only two GP wins over a lengthy career. So Osmond defeating Suzuki at Skate Canada is not a good reason for why the other ladies should be worried. (There's a huge difference between one-time world bronze medalist Artur Gachinski and, say, Patrick Chan, who won his first title at those same Worlds.)

Really? However, I seem to recall many people here suggesting that Suzuki should have beaten Asada at the 2012 NHK Trophy and subsequently, in the GPF prediction thread, far more people picked Suzuki over Asada. In addition, many people have cited how much Suzuki has improved artistically, irrespective of her jumps.

In any event, the 4CC in Osaka will give us a much clearer picture on where they stand.

Krislite didn't say anything about Osmond not being capable of winning Worlds at a young age, just the statement that Osmond wouldn't be getting 8-9.5 range at Worlds. I would agree with this--in doing a check of the last 4 World championships, zero 9.5s were given out to the ladies. Osmond is uber-talented and an exciting young skater, but it is not a put-down to say that she's not getting up to 9.5s at Worlds when neither Kostner, Asada, Kim, Ando, etc have ever gotten 9.5s there.

The 9.5 is a red herring more than anything else. Osmond's PCS didn't average at 9.5 - that score is merely an outlier. If Krislite's point is that Osmond will not get 9.5 at Worlds, that's hard to say and frankly, irrelevant, because there are always outliers within a panel but they don't mean much. Rather, it appears Krislite's point is that it is unlikely that Osmond's PCS score will be similar or almost equal at Worlds. That is actually hard to say because she only averaged in the 8s. Is getting 8s for PCS a realistic prospect based on the historical scores of the last 4 World Championships? I think you will have to agree the answer is yes. Therefore, not getting any 9.5, which will likely be thrown out anyway in the averaging process, will not have any significant impact on the likelihood of her duplicating a similar overall PCS score at World.

Osmond hasn't even skated a clean FS internationally yet this season, and wasn't able to do it at Nationals. That is not to say she can't skate a clean FS at Worlds, but it's not set in stone. She showed she's not immune to pressure/expectations and skating perfectly in both segments in an important competition is hard to do.

I don't think anyone is doubting whether she can do a Double Axel or not. Just the same as when Yu Na Kim fell on a Double Axel. For all intended purposes, she accomplished all her Triple jumps in the LP and yesterday was probably her most stressful event of the year. Everyone expected her to win yesterday, whereas at Worlds, the country is not going to expect her to win or even medal. In fact, if she were to place top 10 or 5, I think the media will report that as a resounding success. Her ability to handle stress was amazing to me. She looked so relax backstage yesterday, I am still in awe about that. Most other top skaters had some tension and you could see they were focusing. Osmond was like - this is fun, I am going to put down a show... I wouldn't worry about whether yesterday was technically a clean skate or not, with or without the Double Axel since her ability to land the 2A is not in doubt and unlikely to repeat again. Julianne Seguin who many thought could take Silver crumbled under pressure at the same event whereas she skated almost perfect at the Challenge as well. What's clear to me is Osmond is very gifted in handling pressure and the Canadian Championship was a very good test to show that - all one needs to do is contrasting her and Julianne Seguin, the before and after is crystal clear.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I couldn't believe the epic meltdown of Seguin.. images of Laetitia Hubert popped to mind.. I actually expected her to be behind DeSanctis with that skate, even though DeSanctis fell more than once too.

wallylutz

Medalist
I couldn't believe the epic meltdown of Seguin.. images of Laetitia Hubert popped to mind.. I actually expected her to be behind DeSanctis with that skate, even though DeSanctis fell more than once too.

I was surprised too last night. My money was on her to take Silver, even before Lacoste took the ice. I guess that's what makes Osmond special, her consistency in 4 competitions this year showed she isn't just a one-time deal.

Krislite

Medalist
What makes you so certain that will be the case? Is it because she is young? Lack of reputation? Or was that an actual assessment based on what you saw in her skating?

Historically, ladies are capable of winning World Championship at very young age. Lipinski at 14 on her 2nd World Championship. Oksana Baiul at 16 at her 1st World Championship.

If I were you, I wouldn't be so certain to have a crystal ball lined up to make such Napoleonic prediction.

If we are to assume ISU judges maintain any semblance of consistent judging across competitions, then there's no way Osmond is realistically getting PCS in the 8 - 9.5's. I can't see her improving so vastly in the next two months to surpass Yuna's Vancouver free program. (Even Yuna's Vancouver Free Skate got only two 9.5's.) No other lady in the past World Championships has gotten that kind of PCS range (besides Yuna at her very best). I see a more likely range of 7.5 to 8.5 if she skates relatively clean, and that's being generous in my opinion.

Now, of course, she can win the World Title--that I don't dispute. She is very talented and apart from her Flutz her jumps remind of Yuna (she even avoids the 3Loop!).

margiemo

Rinkside
A top ten finish for Katelyn at worlds is a very realistic goal.It was nice to watch the ladies last night and enjoy the performances.For the first time in many many years there is young girls who can perform and have the triples also.

cynthia24

On the Ice
Does anybody has the link for the SP and FS of Gabby. I couldn't see them cause i'm in Europe:-/
Thanks

jan

On the Ice
Actually I feel it is Lacoste who has awkward stiff jumps. Chatrand actually has good technique and a proper triple lutz. I think she has amazing potential.
Happy for Osmond - solid FS, but she skated it better at the Challenge in December (all jump elements clean better). Such a reliable competitor.

I think Daleman is a big talent - at only 15, I hope she's survived the worst of puberty.

I was disappointed by the marks that Chatrand received (and her bronze medal) - when I see her skate, I see awkward awkward awkward. Awkward posture, awkward/stiff jumps - how she received positive GOE on any of them is a shock.

Lacoste was still worthy of the bronze medal - even with that performance. Her ease of movement, speed and general flow far surpassed Chatrand and Daleman. Jump wise, she was on par with Chatrand if the judges hadn't rewarded those crappy stiff jumps.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems the Canadian girls have been flying under the radar, unlike the long hyped Russian Babes. I am very glad about this as they now burst on the scene at later ages of 15 and 16. Keep going, young Ladies!

I actually appreciated Amelie's skating much more this year but sadly it's too late for her as the young jumpers join the Senior competition.

Thanks Nadster, I didn't realise Daleman's birthday was before the cut-off date.

So I guess it will be:
4CC - Osmond, Chatrand, Lacoste
Junior Worlds - Daleman
Worlds - Osmond