Michelle Kwan marries Clay Pell | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan marries Clay Pell

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Except that Michelle has been smart enough to marry a guy whose own accomplishments will keep him from being overshadowed by her. Go, team!

:agree: I have been thinking the same thing, Olympia. The Kwan brother's joke made me laugh, but but I would venture to guess that in certain non-skating circles, Pell will be the bigger reason for instant respect and affection for them as a couple (no offense to Kwan or her family).

I did take note, for instance, that they married in Rhode Island. I'm not saying that it was a good location choice or a bad one. But the strong ties to RI clearly belong to the groom, not the bride.

(Wild speculation, but I've been wondering whether another factor in favor of a RI wedding was the state's proximity to Washington, DC. I would bet that a healthy number of guests happen also to be invited to Inauguration events today and/or tomorrow.)

That's a good point about the location of the wedding, Golden!--actually, two good points. I was also wondering whether anyone in the Kwan/Pell clan would be at Inauguration events. He's a White House staffer, after all. If so, what a weekend they're having!

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Wow, I haven't been here in years -- real life, health problems, and so on -- but I had to poke my head out of my cave when I heard that our Divine Miss K. is now the Divine Mrs. P.

So, what was Michelle doing exactly ten years ago on this date (January 19, 2003)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLetmEi6B2Y

Just think, it's been 20 years since I discovered little Michelle at Nationals. Seems like yesterday.

lcd

Match Penalty
My thoughts exactly. Guests too, I bet some of them are racing around between Rhode Island and DC getting in a lot of festivities this weekend.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An eye-popping photo courtesy of @BrianBoitano. His caption:
Beautiful wedding cake at Michelle Kwan and Clay Pell's wedding

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tweets from Phil Hersh ‏@olyphil:

More color commentary from Hersh (tweeted on Kwan's wedding day, but I'm catching up now):

- Kwan's brother in law, Peter Oppegard, missed wedding to be with skaters he coaches in Omaha. His daughers, Sophia and Olivia, flower girls

- Because I have never watched a second of American Idol, I did not recognize Paula Abdul at Michelle Kwan's wedding.

- Clay Pell's sister said she was always amazed at his comfort zone with being a nerd. #Kwanwedding

- Michelle Kwan cut the cake with the ceremonial sword her new husband wore with his Coast Guard dress blues (he was a lieutanant)

- First dance starts with "it's only just begun," goes into "Stand by me.". Pastor had called Clay's terpsichore a combo of dirty and ballroom

- Dance with dad is to the Beatles "michelle my belle." Natch

Hersh also had tweeted a link to this terrific photo of the new husband and wife:
[ If I missed this photo earlier in the thread, my apologies. It's worthy of a second look anyway, I'd say. ;) ]​

ETA:
For any Abdul fans, I see now that she was in one of the photos tweeted by @cbrennansports:
Legendary non-skaters Paula Abdul and @TimShriver join the sequined stars. pic.twitter.com/xy1EC4Sh
7:34 PM - 19 Jan 13
https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/292837442464133121

Last edited:
That photo is magnificent. Her long veil is lovely; look how it trails behind her. They walked under crossed swords! How romantic. The kind of wedding photo we all wish we had in our albums.

And how lovely that they danced (almost said skated) to "Stand By Me," one of the great love songs ever.

It sounds like a splendid wedding, and they seem to have a wonderful network of loved ones, which attests to the kind of people they seem to be. I love Boitano's comment. I wish them a long lifetime of happy, healthy years together.

"I could feel this energy, this sense of grace and movement and comfort..."

Energy, grace, movement, comfort. Lt. Pell spoke for all her fans as well.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
Karen Kwan got video from her honeymooning sister, Michelle, showing her new husband, Clay Pell, trying to skate in Switzerland.
2:29 PM - 24 Jan 13​

But Hersh did not tweet any link to the video. What happens in Switzerland stays in Switzerland, I guess??? ;)

heyang

Record Breaker
I saw the edition of People at Target today. It's a 2 page spread - the most prominent picture is the one we've already seen of the 2 of them leaving the church. Other picture is Michele with her bridesmaids, Clay and Michelle cutting the cake. Ran out of time to read the text.

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil
Karen Kwan got video from her honeymooning sister, Michelle, showing her new husband, Clay Pell, trying to skate in Switzerland.
2:29 PM - 24 Jan 13​

But Hersh did not tweet any link to the video. What happens in Switzerland stays in Switzerland, I guess??? ;)

What? They went sashaying off to Switzerland instead of attending the Presidential inauguration? That's mo way to become the number one new D.C. power couple! :)

That's so cool, Doris. (Thank Mr. Ski for me.)

Didn't Clay look great in his dress uniform for the wedding. Any man looks wonderful in a tux, but a military uniform trumps it every time. There's even a sword!

I wonder if Clay realizes that he now has a rather sizable fan club.

I saw the edition of People at Target today. It's a 2 page spread - the most prominent picture is the one we've already seen of the 2 of them leaving the church. Other picture is Michele with her bridesmaids, Clay and Michelle cutting the cake. Ran out of time to read the text.

There is also one of Michelle, Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano and Dick Button.

Obviously no one can outshine the bride, but Dorothy looked like a million dollars. :)