Thread: How Do You Like Vocals for Ice Dance?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

How Do You Like Vocals for Ice Dance?

It took me watching a couple of teams to get used to the vocal music for the short programs, but I think so far I like it. I thought at first it might be distracting. Tracy made the announcement that next year single skaters and pair skaters will also be using vocals with their music, but that the "pair teams are not liking it." I can see for them that it might be more distracting. Also pair teams usually skate to classical music so unless they skate to Opera or some pop or theatre music it might be a bit of a challenge. It will be interesting to see. I do like the new change in the short program and the music. It did make it fun! Fabulous skating tonight. Must run and watch the men's long program!

Last edited by Ladskater; 01-19-2013 at 10:59 PM.

Custom Title
    I think Tracy actually said 'the purists are not liking it,' unless you're referring to a different segment. Also, IIRC single and pair skaters will be allowed to use vocal music, but aren't required to. IMO the option of vocal music has been great for ice dance, and it'd be good for singles and pairs skaters too. Some of my favourite ice dance programs have featured vocals, ie. W/P's Je Suis Malade from last season.

Vocals have been allowed for years in Ice Dance... I'm confused.

Vocals for the other 3 disiplines is pointless IMO, but that's just me. I'm sure it will be just fine, so long as I don't have to listen to "Lady Gag Me" all night long.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    It took me watching a couple of teams to get used to the vocal music for the short programs, but I think so far I like it. I thought at first it might be distracting.
    I am surprised to read what you just said.
    Vocals have been around in ice dance, and not only in the SD, but also the pevious OD and FD as well, for more than a decade by now.

For example, one of the earliest FD to vocals which I liked in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoCrUkXQcw

IMO, the vocals broaden the spectrum of musical choices which the skaters could tackle, so there are not as epetitive.

Maybe Tracy did say purist - my hearing must be off! Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the single and pair skaters skate to.

I agree...."Lady Gag Me" Oh heaven forbid!!!