2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Paul/Islam's msg on Facebook (Jan 21)

Paul/Islam's brave/wrenching message on Facebook (Jan 21). (Made me reach for more than one tissue. Wish them all the best.)

Well, the sun came up this morning. What a roller coaster ride this weekend was. Yesterday was one of the most heart-breaking days either of us have ever been through. It's hard to reconcile why or how things like this can happen, how a dream can be yanked out right from in front of you. One thing we do know from all of this, however, is that we are surrounded by some of the best friends and fans in the world. All of your support, after the good and the bad, has truly been overwhelming. We can't express through this message how much it means to us and we want each and every one of you to know that we appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts. "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."

A & M

https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPaulMitchellIslam/posts/318809224896018

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Did their spin change from a Spin (Sp) to a Combination Spin? Because that's how the tech panel graded it.

I felt that the first two lifts would've been the ones called long, and because the first position wasn't held long enough, the drop of levels. I don't get the spin calling, though.
I think that Scott did accidentally 1/2 revolution on the right foot, so it was considered a CoSp but, since they obviously didn't perform any position on the right foot, it was a level 1... He should have waited untill Tessa had finished her spin to touch the ice with his right blade, because they were still spinning; I think it has been just a silly mistake, they will hopefully fix this for 4CC and Worlds and don't make it again.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I agree! :agree:
However, basing this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOopUxj1lNw) I tried to discover which lifts were too long:
1st lift-short lift (max 6 seconds): from 1:02 to 1:08 (I see her blade clearly touching the ice at 1:08, so it's exactly 6 seconds: the rules say that a short lift can be 6-seconds long, right?)
2nd lift-combo lift (max 12 seconds): from 2:55 to 3:05, the curve lift from 2:55 to 2:59, the rotational lift from 3:01 to 3:05 (there is a two-seconds gap when they change the position)
3rd lif-short lift: from 4:13 to 4:20 so too long
4rd lift-choreo lift (up to 10 seconds): from 4:24 to 4:32
I don't understand to other two deductions: did they consider the second lift too long and so (since it was a combo lift) considered two deductions because it was made of two different lifts?

At the risk of a redundant and/or irrelevant post, I am copying what Skate Canada said on its Facebook page:
The deductions were on three separate lifts for long lifts, however, the creative lift was incorrectly timed and has been adjusted.
(Although buried in the Comments on a photo, this sentence is from Skate Canada itself.)​

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Lovely message from P/I. Glad they were feeling the love in spite of everything.

I'm unclear as to what today's world team announcement means. They say the third spot is still undecided. I suppose that's pending Weaver/Poje's medical assessment, and that the spot will be O/W's if that assessment rules them out. Something occurred to me today that I didn't think of yesterday, though. The ISU has applied crazy high minimum score requirements to worlds this year. Do we know for sure that all teams in question have met them? Because that could shake somethings up regarding that last spot. Just wondering if anyone can confirm.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I strongly disagree that teams are overscored because they are skating on home ice. Home ice brings out the best in skaters. They're relaxed, they have the support of the audience, they're at home, and they just want to put on a good show. Gachinski is a good example: Has he ever skated anywhere as well as he did at Moscow Worlds?

I note that the "Gilles & Poirier are over-scored" folks are back. Give it a rest people. I am sick of coming to this forum and seeing people trash Gilles & Poirier at every opportunity. I get that P&I have fans here. Well so do Gilles & Poirier. P&I have had multiple opportunities, to beat G&P both at home and internationally and it hasn't happened. Yes, G&P are overscored at Canadians. So are the rest of the teams.

Congratulations to Gilles & Poirier for two great skates and their first trip to Worlds!

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I strongly disagree that teams are overscored because they are skating on home ice. Home ice brings out the best in skaters. They're relaxed, they have the support of the audience, they're at home, and they just want to put on a good show. Gachinski is a good example: Has he ever skated anywhere as well as he did at Moscow Worlds?

I note that the "Gilles & Poirier are over-scored" folks are back. Give it a rest people. I am sick of coming to this forum and seeing people trash Gilles & Poirier at every opportunity. I get that P&I have fans here. Well so do Gilles & Poirier. P&I have had multiple opportunities, to beat G&P both at home and internationally and it hasn't happened. Yes, G&P are overscored at Canadians. So are the rest of the teams.

Congratulations to Gilles & Poirier for two great skates and their first trip to Worlds!

I'm sorry, but the rest of us are entitled to our opinions just as much as you are. I don't think it's fair to say that people are trashing G/P because they dislike their skating. No one is saying anything disrespectful about them as athletes or as people, just expressing their views on how they skated. There's no need to make the rest of us look spiteful just because our opinions don't correspond with yours.

jan

On the Ice
I actually have no favourites. I watched G/P's free dance and Gilles lack of quality in her skating was glaring! I was making an informed observation. As well, they skated far apart at times.

figuristka

Medalist
Lol. All 10:00 for IN and CH. The first three judges gave all 10:00 for everything. Yeah, why to bother to "judge", i.e. to differentiate actually. :slink:

Those 10s were well deserved.:points::clap: I would have given Takahashi at Nationals 10s for performance /Execution and Interpretation too. :love:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I hope to see Gilles and Poirer's free dance somewhere, even if it was overscored. I actually love their free dance, if just for Christopher Dean's choreography and introducing me to the band Beirut. Gulag Orkestar is one of favorite songs now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJX0QpkhhU

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I'm sorry, but the rest of us are entitled to our opinions just as much as you are. I don't think it's fair to say that people are trashing G/P because they dislike their skating. No one is saying anything disrespectful about them as athletes or as people, just expressing their views on how they skated. There's no need to make the rest of us look spiteful just because our opinions don't correspond with yours.

While G/P look desorganized here and there and have less unison than P/I, no question about it, they have tons of speed and that has always beem highly regarded by judging panels across the world. And P/I lack in that department.

jan

On the Ice
They may have speed but it is also true that they do many elements far apart etc. I don't think their marks this year show that they are highly regarded by judging panels across the world.

While G/P look desorganized here and there and have less unison than P/I, no question about it, they have tons of speed and that has always beem highly regarded by judging panels across the world. And P/I lack in that department.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Paul Poirier has never been as highly regarded by international judges as nationals ones and he never will be (although at some point Nationals judges will probably clue into reality when it comes to him, god knows when that will be though).

herios

Medalist
Paul Poirier has never been as highly regarded by international judges as nationals ones and he never will be (although at some point Nationals judges will probably clue into reality when it comes to him, god knows when that will be though).

Common now, he was 7th at the worlds. I know, with a different partner, more skilled than his current one, but is not his fault that Giles is less equal technically to him than vanessa was.

herios

Medalist
They may have speed but it is also true that they do many elements far apart etc. I don't think their marks this year show that they are highly regarded by judging panels across the world.

No, but that gives them an edge, over some more skilled competitors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I see a huge improvement in V and M's SD but continuous problems on the lifs and spins in the long and I am concerned about their levels. They are running out of time. And I would not give them any additional credit or rather they are not getting help with their costumes. Tess continues to pick unflattering or not particularly helpful costumes. Usually the skirt is too long and the legs look heavy or such without nylons.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Common now, he was 7th at the worlds. I know, with a different partner, more skilled than his current one, but is not his fault that Giles is less equal technically to him than vanessa was.

7th at a post Olympic Worlds which is always much weaker. That is his only finish above 10th in any Olympics or Worlds with any partner (and probably will remain so at Worlds this year).

let`s talk

Match Penalty
And in defense of the judges, they can only grade PCS components in increments of 0.25. Internationally, Virtue and Moir have been graded at 9.0 to 10.0 by very nearly all judges at very nearly all events. It's nationals; inflation is expected; there's nowhere to go but 10.0. And if a judge had given Gilles & Poirier 8's or 9's for every component, then, frankly, that judge should given 10.0 to Tessa & Scott. For every component.
Maybe. Still there's too many 10 for almost everything from almost everyone. The 10 is somehow perfect since it's the maximum score. While they didn't show their perfect skating and cosiderably lost TES to the rivals of much lower rank. Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.

:laugh:Clearly that's what it means. The other basically perfect lifts in the program are just flukes.