Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD

Custom Title
    Did their spin change from a Spin (Sp) to a Combination Spin? Because that's how the tech panel graded it.

I felt that the first two lifts would've been the ones called long, and because the first position wasn't held long enough, the drop of levels. I don't get the spin calling, though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Did their spin change from a Spin (Sp) to a Combination Spin? Because that's how the tech panel graded it.

I felt that the first two lifts would've been the ones called long, and because the first position wasn't held long enough, the drop of levels. I don't get the spin calling, though.
    Hi IP - I think the spin calling has folks dupped on the majority of forums, including myself...

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Considering that Worlds is being held in V&M's hometown, literally, and close enough to Toronto that there will be a HUGE contingent of Central Ontario Section family and friends there as well, I think the roof will blow off the Labatt Centre every time V&M take the ice. I will be shocked if they don't win in London.
    On the other hand, from Virtue/Moir's perspective, competing in their own backyard is no guarantee of a cakewalk.
    As thankful as they are for the exhilarating hometown support, they have said also that they expect it to bring additional challenges.

For instance, the enthusiastic Vancouver crowd was so loud during their CD that V/M were struggling to hear the music adequately as they performed. That disadvantage really tested their powers of concentration, even as they were gratified by the deafening outpouring of loyalty, delight, and approval from fellow Canadians. (In a recent interview, V/M said that as part of their training, they are deliberately thrown into scenarios of less than ideal conditions: music at a volume that is too low or too high; people shouting at them; and I forget what else.)

And to keep off-ice distractions under control, the mental "bubble" that is their modus operandi during competitions will be more important than ever at London Worlds. That huge contingent of family and friends will mean greater pressure and/or temptation to spend personal "face time" (my phrase, not V/M's) with loved ones. Also roof-blowing will be the intensity of media interest and requests.

[Not to mention the whole 'nother subject of their formidable rivals Davis/White. ]

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    In other words, V&M will be overscored because they will be skating on home ice and will win a title they aren't necessarily entitled to?
    Pretty much. I'll be beyond shocked if V/M lose, even with minor bobbles and perfection from others.

I think Davis and White could still take the world title this year, but imagine the (negative) reaction of some of the crowd..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think Davis and White could still take the world title this year, but imagine the (negative) reaction of some of the crowd..
    I agree blue_idealist - it will be a nailbiter between D/W and V/M. I am hoping that the crowd will be respectful for all teams.

Paul/Islam's msg on Facebook (Jan 21)

Paul/Islam's brave/wrenching message on Facebook (Jan 21). (Made me reach for more than one tissue. Wish them all the best.)

Well, the sun came up this morning. What a roller coaster ride this weekend was. Yesterday was one of the most heart-breaking days either of us have ever been through. It's hard to reconcile why or how things like this can happen, how a dream can be yanked out right from in front of you. One thing we do know from all of this, however, is that we are surrounded by some of the best friends and fans in the world. All of your support, after the good and the bad, has truly been overwhelming. We can't express through this message how much it means to us and we want each and every one of you to know that we appreciate it from the bottom of our hearts. "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."

A & M

https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPa...18809224896018

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hope they continue to find the courage to continue

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post

I think that Scott did accidentally 1/2 revolution on the right foot, so it was considered a CoSp but, since they obviously didn't perform any position on the right foot, it was a level 1... He should have waited untill Tessa had finished her spin to touch the ice with his right blade, because they were still spinning; I think it has been just a silly mistake, they will hopefully fix this for 4CC and Worlds and don't make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I agree!
    However, basing this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOopUxj1lNw) I tried to discover which lifts were too long:
    1st lift-short lift (max 6 seconds): from 1:02 to 1:08 (I see her blade clearly touching the ice at 1:08, so it's exactly 6 seconds: the rules say that a short lift can be 6-seconds long, right?)
    2nd lift-combo lift (max 12 seconds): from 2:55 to 3:05, the curve lift from 2:55 to 2:59, the rotational lift from 3:01 to 3:05 (there is a two-seconds gap when they change the position)
    3rd lif-short lift: from 4:13 to 4:20 so too long
    4rd lift-choreo lift (up to 10 seconds): from 4:24 to 4:32
    I don't understand to other two deductions: did they consider the second lift too long and so (since it was a combo lift) considered two deductions because it was made of two different lifts?
    At the risk of a redundant and/or irrelevant post, I am copying what Skate Canada said on its Facebook page:
    The deductions were on three separate lifts for long lifts, however, the creative lift was incorrectly timed and has been adjusted.
    (Although buried in the Comments on a photo, this sentence is from Skate Canada itself.)

Custom Title
    Lovely message from P/I. Glad they were feeling the love in spite of everything.

I'm unclear as to what today's world team announcement means. They say the third spot is still undecided. I suppose that's pending Weaver/Poje's medical assessment, and that the spot will be O/W's if that assessment rules them out. Something occurred to me today that I didn't think of yesterday, though. The ISU has applied crazy high minimum score requirements to worlds this year. Do we know for sure that all teams in question have met them? Because that could shake somethings up regarding that last spot. Just wondering if anyone can confirm.

Custom Title
    I strongly disagree that teams are overscored because they are skating on home ice. Home ice brings out the best in skaters. They're relaxed, they have the support of the audience, they're at home, and they just want to put on a good show. Gachinski is a good example: Has he ever skated anywhere as well as he did at Moscow Worlds?

I note that the "Gilles & Poirier are over-scored" folks are back. Give it a rest people. I am sick of coming to this forum and seeing people trash Gilles & Poirier at every opportunity. I get that P&I have fans here. Well so do Gilles & Poirier. P&I have had multiple opportunities, to beat G&P both at home and internationally and it hasn't happened. Yes, G&P are overscored at Canadians. So are the rest of the teams.

Congratulations to Gilles & Poirier for two great skates and their first trip to Worlds!

Custom Title
    I strongly disagree that teams are overscored because they are skating on home ice. Home ice brings out the best in skaters. They're relaxed, they have the support of the audience, they're at home, and they just want to put on a good show. Gachinski is a good example: Has he ever skated anywhere as well as he did at Moscow Worlds?

I note that the "Gilles & Poirier are over-scored" folks are back. Give it a rest people. I am sick of coming to this forum and seeing people trash Gilles & Poirier at every opportunity. I get that P&I have fans here. Well so do Gilles & Poirier. P&I have had multiple opportunities, to beat G&P both at home and internationally and it hasn't happened. Yes, G&P are overscored at Canadians. So are the rest of the teams.

Congratulations to Gilles & Poirier for two great skates and their first trip to Worlds!
    I'm sorry, but the rest of us are entitled to our opinions just as much as you are. I don't think it's fair to say that people are trashing G/P because they dislike their skating. No one is saying anything disrespectful about them as athletes or as people, just expressing their views on how they skated. There's no need to make the rest of us look spiteful just because our opinions don't correspond with yours.

Custom Title
    I actually have no favourites. I watched G/P's free dance and Gilles lack of quality in her skating was glaring! I was making an informed observation. As well, they skated far apart at times.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Lol. All 10:00 for IN and CH. The first three judges gave all 10:00 for everything. Yeah, why to bother to "judge", i.e. to differentiate actually.
    Those 10s were well deserved. I would have given Takahashi at Nationals 10s for performance /Execution and Interpretation too.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast