Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Canadian Nats Senior FD

Custom Title
    I hope to see Gilles and Poirer's free dance somewhere, even if it was overscored. I actually love their free dance, if just for Christopher Dean's choreography and introducing me to the band Beirut. Gulag Orkestar is one of favorite songs now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJX0QpkhhU
    Last edited by draqq; 01-23-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    I hope to see Gilles and Poirer's free dance somewhere, even if it was overscured. I actually love their free dance, if just for Christopher Dean's choreography and introducing me to the band Beirut. Gulag Orkestar is one of favorite songs now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UJX0QpkhhU
    Yes, I have to admit, I admire them for picking some unconventional music. I love Beruit!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    I'm sorry, but the rest of us are entitled to our opinions just as much as you are. I don't think it's fair to say that people are trashing G/P because they dislike their skating. No one is saying anything disrespectful about them as athletes or as people, just expressing their views on how they skated. There's no need to make the rest of us look spiteful just because our opinions don't correspond with yours.

While G/P look desorganized here and there and have less unison than P/I, no question about it, they have tons of speed and that has always beem highly regarded by judging panels across the world. And P/I lack in that department.

Custom Title
    They may have speed but it is also true that they do many elements far apart etc. I don't think their marks this year show that they are highly regarded by judging panels across the world.

Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    While G/P look desorganized here and there and have less unison than P/I, no question about it, they have tons of speed and that has always beem highly regarded by judging panels across the world. And P/I lack in that department.

Banned
    Paul Poirier has never been as highly regarded by international judges as nationals ones and he never will be (although at some point Nationals judges will probably clue into reality when it comes to him, god knows when that will be though).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Paul Poirier has never been as highly regarded by international judges as nationals ones and he never will be (although at some point Nationals judges will probably clue into reality when it comes to him, god knows when that will be though).
    Common now, he was 7th at the worlds. I know, with a different partner, more skilled than his current one, but is not his fault that Giles is less equal technically to him than vanessa was.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    They may have speed but it is also true that they do many elements far apart etc. I don't think their marks this year show that they are highly regarded by judging panels across the world.
    No, but that gives them an edge, over some more skilled competitors.

Custom Title
    I see a huge improvement in V and M's SD but continuous problems on the lifs and spins in the long and I am concerned about their levels. They are running out of time. And I would not give them any additional credit or rather they are not getting help with their costumes. Tess continues to pick unflattering or not particularly helpful costumes. Usually the skirt is too long and the legs look heavy or such without nylons.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Common now, he was 7th at the worlds. I know, with a different partner, more skilled than his current one, but is not his fault that Giles is less equal technically to him than vanessa was.
    7th at a post Olympic Worlds which is always much weaker. That is his only finish above 10th in any Olympics or Worlds with any partner (and probably will remain so at Worlds this year).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And in defense of the judges, they can only grade PCS components in increments of 0.25. Internationally, Virtue and Moir have been graded at 9.0 to 10.0 by very nearly all judges at very nearly all events. It's nationals; inflation is expected; there's nowhere to go but 10.0. And if a judge had given Gilles & Poirier 8's or 9's for every component, then, frankly, that judge should given 10.0 to Tessa & Scott. For every component.
    Maybe. Still there's too many 10 for almost everything from almost everyone. The 10 is somehow perfect since it's the maximum score. While they didn't show their perfect skating and cosiderably lost TES to the rivals of much lower rank. Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.
    Clearly that's what it means. The other basically perfect lifts in the program are just flukes.

Rinkside
    Was very happy to see the end results being :
    Virtue/Moir
    - Gilles/Poirier
    - Orford Williams

In my opinion, the 3 better teams at the Canadians, but wished R&H would have also skated clean. I find Paul and Islam very boring and Blah..... and question their skating strengths.

I wish all 3 teams success at 4CC and a speedy recovery for W&P !

Go get them Team Canada !!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Really??? Crone & Poirier medalled in their first GP event, 7th at 2010 Worlds, and were 3rd at the GP Final in 2010/11, so yeah, I would say that international judging panels have always liked Paul Poirier.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Maybe. Still there's too many 10 for almost everything from almost everyone. The 10 is somehow perfect since it's the maximum score. While they didn't show their perfect skating and cosiderably lost TES to the rivals of much lower rank. Moreover, they removed their last lift whereTessa was standing on Scott's laps and changed it into much easier performed stuff. Which means that they still can't handle their lifts well enough.
    Your arguments make no sense: too many 10's from almost everyone. Where was their skating flawed, and not deserving of the 10? What TES did they lose?

Perhaps the lift was changed to make it flow into the program more. Perhaps the current incarnation is actually more difficult than the original lift. How do you know it was changed to make it less difficult?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Really??? Crone & Poirier medalled in their first GP event, 7th at 2010 Worlds, and were 3rd at the GP Final in 2010/11, so yeah, I would say that international judging panels have always liked Paul Poirier.
    7th at a post Olympic Worlds like I said, which are always the weaker. At the Olympics that same year they were someting like 14th. The GP final I will give you as a significant result (even though V&M and some others were missing, otherwise they wouldnt have ever had a medal shot there) but that was a really weak year for dance in general, the Shibutanis with juniorish presentation winning the World bronze that year ever, and even then Poirer was only 10th at Worlds.

Most importantly he has never received, nor will he ever receive IMO anywhere close to the same level of scores at a World Championship or any international event as he gets at Canadians. Funny how that is.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast