Teams for ISU championships | Golden Skate

Teams for ISU championships

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I wonder who they will send in the ladies for 4CC ? :confused2:

I would like to see this team for 4CC, I think it would be politically correct if we send everyone in the next ISU championships so,

I would suggest this :

Ladies
4CC : Kaetlyn Osmond, Amélie Lacoste and Veronik Mallet
Junior Worlds : Gabrielle Daleman and Alaine Chartrand
Worlds championships : Kaetlyn Osmond

For the men, I think they should send the boys 3 to 5 at 4CC and the one who will have the minimum technical score for the sp and lp should go to Worlds championships. (And if more than 2 boys success the minimum technical score at 4CC, they should take the one who have earn the best ranking at nationals)

So here is the team that I would like to see:

Men
4CC: Andrei Rogozine, Elladj Balde and Liam Firus
Junior Worlds: Nam Nguyen
Worlds championships: Patrick Chan, Kevin Reynolds and (one boys from 4CC)

What are your thought about that :)

Chatrand is too young for Senior competitions still?

I imagine Chan will pass on 4CC but Reynolds will definitely want to go. So the team will probably be Reynolds, Rogozine and Balde.

I think they should keep the third spot open and give it to whoever finishes higher in Sapporo (and Balde has to earn the minimum score as well).

I hope Orford/Williams get sent to 4CC.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Skate Canada announcement here:

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Osaka, Japan– February 6 – 11, 2013

Men
Kevin Reynolds, 22, Coquitlam, B.C.
Andrei Rogozine, 19, Richmond Hill, Ont.
Elladj Baldé, 22, Pierrefonds, Que.

Ice Dance
Tessa Virtue, 22, London, Ont. / Scott Moir, 24, Ilderton, Ont.
Piper Gilles, 20, Toronto, Ont. /Paul Poirier, 21, Unionville, Ont.
Nicole Orford, 20, Burnaby, B.C. / Thomas Williams, 21, Okotoks, Alta.

Pair
Meagan Duhamel, 27, Lively, Ont. / Eric Radford, 27, Balmertown, Ont.
Kirsten Moore-Towers, 20, St. Catharines, Ont. / Dylan Moscovitch, 28, Toronto, Ont.
Paige Lawrence, 22, Kennedy, Sask. / Rudi Swiegers, 25, Kipling, Sask.

Ladies
Kaetlyn Osmond, 17, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alberta
Amélie Lacoste, 24, Delson, Que.
Julianne Séguin, 16, Longueuil, Que

ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships, Milan, Italy, February 25 – March 3, 2013

Men
Nam Nguyen, 14, Toronto, Ont.
Mitchell Gordon, 16, Vancouver, B.C.

Pair
Brittany Jones 16, Toronto, Ont. / Ian Beharry, 21, Guelph, Ont.
Margaret Purdy, 17, Strathroy, Ont. / Michael Marinaro, 20, Sarnia, Ont.
Hayleigh Bell, 16, Acton, Ont. / Alistair Sylvester, 18, Stratford, Ont.

Ladies
Gabrielle Daleman, 15, Newmarket, Ont.
Alaine Chartrand, 16, Prescott, Ont.

Dance
Madeline Edwards, 16, Port Moody, B.C./ Zhao Kai Pang, 17, Burnaby, B.C.
Mackenzie Bent, 15, Uxbridge, Ont./ Garrett MacKeen, 18, Oshawa, Ont.

So it does look like they are waiting until 4CC to name the World team.

Interesting that no subs got named.

wallylutz

Medalist
I am not very familiar with either skater but why would Skate Canada send Seguin over Mallet to 4CC?

I am not surprised that they picked Seguin. Like I said in the ladies thread, many people privately stated that Seguin could very well be the #2 woman in Canada after the dusts were settled. Besides Osmond, Seguin has the best overall package in both technical merit and presentation. I for one certainly rooted for her to be the Silver Medalist. Unfortunately, Seguin shocked everyone last night by completely bombing her FS even though she kept her composure throughout the performance.

To answer your question, the national results isn't the only thing they look at to consider international assignments. In the case of Seguin, she is clearly the 2nd best woman in Canada on paper, or at least based on what we have seen of her this season. Sure, she had a rough night but it doesn't change the fact if she skated well, she would easily beat either the Silver or Bronze medalist.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
Ok, thanks for the responses! Going to dig up YouTube to see some performances...

It sure is an exciting time for Canada!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
There is no way Weaver & Poje would be ready in time for Worlds (even though I am sure if they were they would be given a bye in a heartbeat).

I'm being more hopeful than realistic, but I'd assert that that is the reason they won't announce who's going to Worlds yet.

lcd

Match Penalty
I would bet there the "sure things" know they will be going to worlds, but for those on the bubble, it will be interesting to see how this gets decided. Hard to keep training for an event one might not get to compete at, but I guess as a home Worlds in the year before the Olympics, it's important to make the right selections.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm being more hopeful than realistic, but I'd assert that that is the reason they won't announce who's going to Worlds yet.

I am not even entirely sure if I want them go to Worlds this year. If they do they will finish no higher than 5th and could finish as low as 7th all things considered. They might have a better chance to medal next year not going to Worlds this year actually. I think Gilles & Poirier will finish 10th or 11th anyway, just enough to keep Canada having 3 spots for next year, and if they dont I dont really care and I doubt W&P do either, as it merely their own spot (G&P's that is) they are losing.

nadster

Final Flight
Chatrand is too young for Senior competitions still?

No. She can go to senior competitions.

I think that SC's plan all along is to make sure that Seguin, Chartrand and Daleman all get an ISU championship to go to as 1 or 2 of them will permanently graduate to senior internationals. SC ( unless Chartrand or Daleman finish top 3 countries at JW ) will have to make room for other deserving young ladies for the JGP anyway

This way they will have a better idea who to nominate for the TBA slots at Skate Canada.

This is a good idea as it is likely one of these 3 ladies will be going to the Olympics ( assuming that Osmond finishes top 10 at worlds ). Also that ensures that all 3 get important ISU ranking points no matter who they choose to seniorize internationally.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Mallet doesn't have the minimum required for 4CC due to never having skated internationally, I'm pretty sure. Seguin had the minimum from the JGP

I was wondering too why Seguin was choose instead of Mallet. I fell sad for Veronik Mallet to not have a chance to compete internationaly this season, I would have like to see her getting the 4CC spot instead of Seguin.

At least Veronik Mallet is now in the Nationals team with her 5th place at nationals, good for her! :) And, I hope that Skate Canada will send her in a Senior internationnal B next season. She looks promising like Chartrand, Daleman and Seguin in my eyes.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
There is no way Weaver & Poje would be ready in time for Worlds (even though I am sure if they were they would be given a bye in a heartbeat).

Why would they be given a Bye in a heartbeat? Seems to me as if W&P feel entitled to a placement at Worlds even though they didn't skate at Nationals. I realize they are injured, but that's part of the life of a skater and it happens to other people all the time. It's not as if W&P are World Champions so I think the spots should go to those who earned them at Nationals.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I am not even entirely sure if I want them go to Worlds this year. If they do they will finish no higher than 5th and could finish as low as 7th all things considered. They might have a better chance to medal next year not going to Worlds this year actually. I think Gilles & Poirier will finish 10th or 11th anyway, just enough to keep Canada having 3 spots for next year, and if they dont I dont really care and I doubt W&P do either, as it merely their own spot (G&P's that is) they are losing.

This sounds somewhat selfish.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Why would they be given a Bye in a heartbeat? Seems to me as if W&P feel entitled to a placement at Worlds even though they didn't skate at Nationals. I realize they are injured, but that's part of the life of a skater and it happens to other people all the time. It's not as if W&P are World Champions so I think the spots should go to those who earned them at Nationals.

Can you post a comment that they made that gives you this impression?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Team Canada for Worlds is (in part) ...

‏@SkateCanada
We just announced part of our #fsworlds13 team at the CN Tower! pic.twitter.com/PsU8aVTg
8:19 AM - 21 Jan 13
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/293392360291835904

The photo shows:
- Virtue/Moir; Gilles/Poirier
- Chan, Reynolds
- Osmond
- Duhamel/Radford; Moore-Towers/Moscovitch

No surprises there.
Just making note that Skate Canada is leaving some of its options open before announcing the complete team.

ETA, quote from Skate Canada press release:
"Although Canada qualified spots for three men, three dance teams, two pair teams and one woman, at the 2013 event, additional athletes will be named to the team following the upcoming ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships in Osaka, Japan later in February."
http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2344/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Last edited: