Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CoyoteChris is at Nationals! (reports)

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I posted a general..."free ticket, anyone?" on Facebook and an old friend from college is going to come with me. So it will be fun to see her and some skating! No idea where these seats are, but they are free.
    Have a great time! I hope you can report back to us! I think it will be a great competition!

On the Ice
    On my way to Omaha. A day early. I will be there late at night, as I am taking the train from Chicago! I can't wait to see you all!

Custom Title
    Thanks I found it. She and her partner are in first!!! So excited.

If you are a cheese cake turtle at Upstream Brewing, you SHOULD be very afraid.....!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Chris, glad to see that you made it to Omaha safe and sound and I second the Welcome to Omaha!!! I just hope I don't see in the Omaha World Herald that there was a "Coyote Sighting" and everyone is scared. We have had a few mountain lion sightings but I think those people were smoking something.

Monday - checking in

Remember this guy.....Tomoki Hiwatashi...just had a birthday and earned a big birthday present... highlight of the day so far.....tonight, junior ladies! Tomarrow morning, senior ladies practice.....BTW, the schedule of this nats is pretty darned nice....there is time to sleep in mostly and have dinner mostly....

Custom Title
    My friend and I had a great time at junior ladies tonight. Wish I could see their free skate. I'm pretty sure I spotted you across the rink in the front row by the kiss and cry, Chris. Our seats tonight were exactly three rows above the seats my mom and I have for the weekend. Very good spot in section 119.

When we were leaving we saw Peter Oppegard and Karen Kwan sitting in the next section, so I spoke to Karen and told her Michelle's wedding looked beautiful. She was very gracious and friendly. I am totally stupidly fan girl excited over having that exchange! I called my mom to tell her about the night and told her about that. She laughed at me; I said, hey, you'd be stupid excited, too. She had to admit she would.

Can't wait until the weekend now!!

Tuesday

Ah, the joys of figure skating competition. A lady behind me says her older lady friend has been sick for two days but will come in today and sit four rows back, wearing a mask. The sick lady, comes in, comes down to her friend, takes off her mask and leans over her friend and starts chatting into her face! Then she puts her mask back on and goes to her seat. But she soon doesnt feel well and leaves. Then my seatmate for the competition, a nice older lady, shows up today, shakes my hand, and tells me she is recovering from the flu!... I wash my hand with hand sanitizer as she coughs into her sleeve and then she sees an old friend, who she gets up for and goes over to and gives him a hug and talks into his face, failing to tell the older gentlemen that she has influenza. No wonder 20,000 old folks die from the flu...I have had the shot but it doesnt work so well on us older folks and it is only 62 percent effective as it is....I think I will wear my HEPA mask tomarrow....you will really be able to see me then!
    Chris the old man with COPD as it is who is taking a break from Junior mens long......

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Stay well, Chris (and everyone in Omaha). Thx for everyone's eyewitness reports.

I posted the photo below earlier in the Sr. Dance Entries thread, but after reading your post, I think you will appreciate it more than anyone, Chris. Skaters understandably also are concerned about catching the flu.
    The caption from @AlexShibutani is:
    "Great / paranoid minds think alike! @maiashibutani @rossminer #Omaha2013 #flying #fluseason #stayinghealthy #notcontagiouswepromise"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Ah, the joys of figure skating competition. A lady behind me says her older lady friend has been sick for two days but will come in today and sit four rows back, wearing a mask. The sick lady, comes in, comes down to her friend, takes off her mask and leans over her friend and starts chatting into her face! Then she puts her mask back on and goes to her seat. But she soon doesnt feel well and leaves. Then my seatmate for the competition, a nice older lady, shows up today, shakes my hand, and tells me she is recovering from the flu!... I wash my hand with hand sanitizer as she coughs into her sleeve and then she sees an old friend, who she gets up for and goes over to and gives him a hug and talks into his face, failing to tell the older gentlemen that she has influenza. No wonder 20,000 old folks die from the flu...I have had the shot but it doesnt work so well on us older folks and it is only 62 percent effective as it is....I think I will wear my HEPA mask tomarrow....you will really be able to see me then!
    Chris the old man with COPD as it is who is taking a break from Junior mens long......
    Chris, better bathe in the sanitizer! I went to Cdn. Nationals and came home to a very nasty 24-hr. flu. I'd had my shot too so it could have been worse. Keep hydrated! Keep the reports coming; I'm enjoying them. You cna always write "Go Gracie" or "I love Meryl/charlie" or whatever on your mask! That will get you on tv!

My seat mate is better. Ashley Wagner caught the norovirus and wass off the ice for three days but is back to fighting form. I have had norovirus three times and I am so glad she is over it. Hope it doesnt go around the arena. Incubation period is six hours....It is so strange to see Amanda coach Mark and he doesnt look her in the eye but looks at his other coach...but Amanda has come alive! She is no longer the shy partner....I actually saw her bubbley!
    Easy day today....lots of rest and R and R and watching practices...but tonight will be loooooonngggggggg.

Rinkside
    Don't worry louisa05- I acted the same way when I met Karen Kwan two years ago at the Greensboro nationals. My children were playing in the fanfest area with Karen's children and I was geeking out thinking that my children were playing with Michelle's nieces! When Karen came to pick up her girls my husband asked if she would mind taking a picture with our girls.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpacker View Post
    Don't worry louisa05- I acted the same way when I met Karen Kwan two years ago at the Greensboro nationals. My children were playing in the fanfest area with Karen's children and I was geeking out thinking that my children were playing with Michelle's nieces! When Karen came to pick up her girls my husband asked if she would mind taking a picture with our girls.
    LOL. I was telling my mom and her stylist about it when I took mom to her hair appointment Tuesday morning and her stylist was about fall over in shock that skaters and coaches are just around the arena and not under security lock down of some sort. I have to say it is kind of a relaxed atmosphere that way compared to most things these days.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    My seat mate is better. Ashley Wagner caught the norovirus and wass off the ice for three days but is back to fighting form. I have had norovirus three times and I am so glad she is over it. Hope it doesnt go around the arena. Incubation period is six hours....It is so strange to see Amanda coach Mark and he doesnt look her in the eye but looks at his other coach...but Amanda has come alive! She is no longer the shy partner....I actually saw her bubbley!
    Easy day today....lots of rest and R and R and watching practices...but tonight will be loooooonngggggggg.
    "Hope it doesn't go around the arena" -- understatement of the year, no doubt , esp. given that you have had norovirus three times yourself, Chris. Glad that you are healthy to enjoy (and report on) everything in Omaha.

FWIW, IN says that last week Wagner had food poisoning (salmonella) ... as opposed to norovirus.
    Either way, no fun for her.
    But if IN is correct, the distinction would have made a difference for those around Wagner during her illness. The risk of norovirus contagion would have been much more worrisome (and potentially of increased consequence for a man of Mr. Nicks' age, for example).

It is so strange to see Amanda coach Mark and he doesnt look her in the eye but looks at his other coach...but Amanda has come alive! She is no longer the shy partner....
    Do you mean Lyndon Johnston? I LOVE Lyndon (and I've only met him twice). One of the nicest coaches EVER, especially for someone who's had a number of high level students.

Custom Title
    Chris, I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier. So glad you're in the rink and on the job as a reporter! As for everyone breathing illness onto you, maybe you should wear a mask. In my city I see a lot of people doing that. One young woman actually had a black velveteen mask cover to make it more of a fashion statement.

I'm glad you got your shot, though. I got mine in September. Maybe they're not perfect, but they're better than zero.

You are going to be practically next to Meryl and Charlie in the K&C. I am sooooo jealous.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-25-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast