Police break up fight in Mississauga | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Police break up fight in Mississauga

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Seriously? Yipes.

The readers' comments below the article were about what one would expect. I guess all those disbelieving Toronto Globe and Mail readers have never seen Lloyd Eisler or Elvis Stojko up close, if they think that figure skaters are wimpy.

I remember, with great delight, a poll in which fans chose Lloyd Eisler as the skater you'd most like to have on your side in a bar fight. Also heard that Totmianina was a great one for jumping in.
As to one poster's joke that maybe someone insulted Moskovitch, I just have to tell you that I saw him standing in the hall with Kristi Wirtz and he was dressed in sweat pants and a sleeveless shirt. Woah boy! Those muscles were a-bulging and a lot of eyes were poppin', mine included! He really is a big powerful guy and much better looking in the flesh. He could be in the running for the next psoty award. Okay, my moment of silly fangirl behaviour is now officially over.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hockey riots are cause by fans, not the players themselves. Not the best comparison. Hockey fans sometimes like to riot when they win, too. Montreal Canadiens' fans would be a prime example.

Hey Antilles, nice to see you post! :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Wow...all WE have is junior ice dancers setting off fire alarms at Greensboro so they can see Frank Carroll in his bathrobe! ....I want to feel safe in London walking the four miles back and forth to my hotel.....Oh, wait.. breaking news....there is going to be a riot at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast here in Omaha over the so called "program" here.....it will start with a food fight....Film at 11...

wallylutz

Medalist
Wow...all WE have is junior ice dancers setting off fire alarms at Greensboro so they can see Frank Carroll in his bathrobe! ....I want to feel safe in London walking the four miles back and forth to my hotel.....Oh, wait.. breaking news....there is going to be a riot at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast here in Omaha over the so called "program" here.....it will start with a food fight....Film at 11...

The Americans know how to party that's for sure. Canadian skaters have a lot to learn from their American counterparts!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Apparently the Canadian figure skaters are learning from the American (Olympic) hockey teams...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hockey riots are cause by fans, not the players themselves. Not the best comparison. Hockey fans sometimes like to riot when they win, too. Montreal Canadiens' fans would be a prime example.

Actually these days hockey riots are planned by goons and looters to take advantage of the high emotions of the fans, win or lose.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I thought it odd that Skate Canada went out of its way to say that K M-T was not involved, without naming any skaters that were.

Maybe they thought that total strangers to skating would automatically assume that some sprite about five feet tall would be the obvious suspect in a brouhaha requiring police intervention...nah!

rvi5

On the Ice
I thought it odd that Skate Canada went out of its way to say that K M-T was not involved, without naming any skaters that were.

The article said the rumor was denied, as if reporters had asked. Skate Canada only responded to a question, and may not have gone out of their way. Perhaps the question was meant to be a joke. Did anyone even seriously state any "pairs" skaters were involved? Keep in mind this article was written by DiManno.

rvi5

On the Ice
P.S. I know Chartrand has been credited for being the first Canadian lady to perform a triple lutz/triple toe. The article states she performed a triple lutz/triple salchow combination with a single loop between.

Kypma

Final Flight
P.S. I know Chartrand has been credited for being the first Canadian lady to perform a triple lutz/triple toe. The article states she performed a triple lutz/triple salchow combination with a single loop between.

She landed the 3Lz+3T in the short and 3Lz+1Lo(1/2Lo)+3S in the long.

rvi5

On the Ice
OK, thanks.

Although I had my DVR set to record the competition, the cable company had Figure Skating listed as a 2 hour broadcast. I later learned from watching an earlier recorded session, it was actually a 3 hour broadcast. Hence my recording stopped abruptly, and I have nothing from the ladies final group Long program. I should have set the DVR to continue recording at least an additional hour beyond the cable company scheduled end time. At least I got to see it live, but wished I could have rewatched it :(

I can't say I am surprised at their mistakes. Here is an example of the confusing cable company broadcast descriptions listed for these events...

"HD, Live, Canadian Championships women's final and original-dance competition in London, Ont. (Ice Skating (Competition))"

Although they have since corrected it, other listed broadcast sessions had the competition in Windsor, and yet another in Moncton.

P.S. didn't know they were bringing back the Original dance this year. :laugh:

Last edited:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I set my DVR to record all figure skating regardless of what day or time it's on. That way, it generally picked up scheduling changes. Yes, I have to discard a lot of repeats, but it also has saved me from losing stuff I didn't know was going to be on.

rvi5

On the Ice
I have mine setup the same. However, if the cable company does not reflect the schedule change in their listing before the competition, the DVR will not know and stops recording regardless of whether the competition is still being broadcasted. When recording Live broadcasts, the DVR gives you the option of extending the recording time in case it is running late. I had mine set to start 15 minutes early, and end 30 minutes late. Apparently I should have extended the recording time to at least an hour since this cable company does not always reflect schedule changes in their program listings.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's Canada. They have a riot and trash their own cities when their hockey team loses. Even figure skaters are not immune. ;)

Just imagine the scene when Chan loses to Takahashi at Worlds. :slink:

I'm wondering what would've happened if Canada lost the gold medal in hockey in Vancouver.