Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Junior Men SP

skating philosopher

2013 US Nationals Junior Men SP

For anyone who wants to comment.

Watching Vincent Zhou now. It looks like he's grown a bit taller since last year! But lovely program. Love the 3F with the tano!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-20-2013 at 09:16 PM.

skating philosopher
    And someone gave Vincent a cute Sorcerer's Apprentice hat!!

ETA:

He did 2A, 3Z-3T and 3F (with tano).

And he's into second.

(I miss Omori's performance; it must've been great!)
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-20-2013 at 09:19 PM.

skating philosopher
    Jordan Moeller was quite impressive! He trains with Jason Brown in Illinois. Love that he ended with a 2A! He's in fourth despite a botched combo.

skating philosopher
    Aw, Chen had a freak fall after footwork. I think the injury is still affecting him. Still a lovely program.

Unfortunately, Chan won't win.

However, I still think that he is the US men's best hope for Sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post

You are kidding right?

skating philosopher

I believe he's too young for Sochi. He was born in May 5, 1999. (You have to be 15 by July 1, 2013 to qualify, which means you have to have been born by June 30, 1998).

Which is just as well because if he has Osgood Schlatters, he's better off recovering for 2018.

skating philosopher
    But how about Shotaro Omori! He started out the competition first and held the lead throughout the whole competition. What a nice comeback for him after not making it to Nationals last year (and just getting the last spot this year).

I'm sorry I didn't get to see his program; will have to catch it on-demand.

ETA: And he beat his personal best at Nationals by about 9 points! Yay!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-20-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Rinkside
    Congrats to Omori! What a performance!
    But can I say that some comments about Nathan Chen I saw elsewhere just make me very uncomfortable - predicting that he will WD before LP, speculating whether he actually has flu, etc. - really, people?

skating philosopher
    Per Lynn Rutherford; Twitter.

Under-the-weather Nathan Chen did not come to the mix zone; he's been downing gatorade all day, fighting off flu symptoms. #Omaha2013
    What a competitor! Though it was not his best; he clearly fought for everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnet View Post
    Congrats to Omori! What a performance!
    But can I say that some comments about Nathan Chen I saw elsewhere just make me very uncomfortable - predicting that he will WD before LP, speculating whether he actually has flu, etc. - really, people?
    Yeah this. Honestly, he won't withdraw unless he's sick or injured, and if he's sick or injured and does withdraw, I have no doubt that it will be for real legitimate reasons, such as being too ill with the flu or his osgood-schlatter symptoms acting up. Kid is 13, has an incredible work ethic, and is coached by Raphael Artunian - he's not going to withdraw for some bogus/fake reason just because he might not win here. And also, he's only 6 points behind Omori who has been inconsistent this season so it's not a done deal anyways and we know he's capable of 3a whereas Zhou won't try one. Plus he looked visibly pale, tired, and puffy in the Kiss N Cry and there are reports saying he's puking, so come on now, faking the flu to compensate for a 3rd place SP? Give me a break. He got the highest PCS anyway, and a level 4 on his step sequence. Anyone calling Nathan a sore loser or speculating he's making excuses for himself is deluded or jealous of his talent, seriously..

skating philosopher
    Wow that's pretty nasty comments. Why are they picking on a 13 year old anyway? Nathan did not look good at all in the SP, but I respect him for fighting through every element. Considering I barely can get out of bed when I have the flu, the fact he did a short program and a bunch of jumps is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    You are kidding right?
    Meant Pyongchang.

skating philosopher
    Meant Pyongchang.
    Ah OK! Yes, I think he will be one to watch for Pyeongchang along with Brown, Farris and Co.

skating philosopher
    Congrats to all the junior men medalists.

Zhou! Wow what a guy. I agree with the others on Twitter that I thought Casablanca might be a bit too grown up for him, but he actually performed it quite well -- it was age appropriate but yet quite classy and mature as well.

Chen - What can I say. He's a brave one. I so wanted to give him a hug at the K&C -- he was clearly not 100 percent, so to still get on the podium and pull off that great performance was pretty awesome! He has all my respect!

I hope Chen recovers from his injury because I think Zhou and Chen will make for an excellent rivalry if they continue to progress and survive the puberty monster. They both have a lot to offer to the sport!

Good for Omori for fighting on despite the mistakes. And that fantastic short too!

I like Jordan Moeller's style too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast