2013 US Nationals Junior Men SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Junior Men SP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was wondering about Chen too. To me he still seems to be fighting injuries, but I don't know the story. Omori posted his highest score of the season at Nationals, and his FS wasn't exactly spectacular, so while he has loads of potential, Chen could be a smarter choice. I mean, Chen was injured at Sectionals and easily beat Omori there, and even his FS last night, where he was clearly under the weather and was obviously far from his best, the segment score was only 2 points lower than Shotaro, who wasn't perfect either but like I said, that was his personal best FS score. So if Chen really is not injured or seriously ill, he would be a strong candidate for JW and would probably do very well there, but if he's still fighting off nagging injuries, then it might just be smarter to stick to Nationals results, avoid potential controversy, and send Omori instead. I guess we'll know in a few days time anyways.

Also the Dornbush situation was a little different, that season the US senior men had really been struggling internationally that fall, Jeremy had the boot problems, Miner showed up to Nats vastly improved from his GPs, and Bradley didn't even compete in the fall, and remember Dornbush had that big win at the JGPF and after that a lot of people were talking about how he was really in the mix to go to Worlds. Farris was very strong at JGP Lake Placid and beat Han Yan the JWC in Slovenia, but he was only a distant second at the JGPF, granted, the result was most likely due to the allergic reaction he had, but I think if he had beaten Kovtun and posted a very convincing score, USFS might be considering him more strongly as a contender for senior worlds then they likely are at this point. None of the senior men were great on the GP this fall either, but Abbott, Miner, and Dornbush all did fairly well and Aaron, Messing, and Mahbanoozadeh have also had fairly successful seasons thus far as well. I doubt Farris places 2nd anyways so it's a moot point, he has the skills to do it, I just don't think the judges will be boosting up his PCS like they might do for some others just because I think they want Farris at JW, whereas in 2011, given the situation, I think they really were pulling for Dornbush to go to senior worlds just because he was skating so well and others weren't (he ended up being the top placed American guy there to boot).

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's not that much different in Senior men this year - Abbott has had a crappy fall (for him) with the back problems and Miner has posted the highest score internationally this fall and no one else has really had a good fall international season. I would not call Dornbush's results this fall "fairly well" as his scores have been pretty much buried and he's been totally unpredictable consistency wise (except you know he's good for a couple mistakes). I am pretty sure in 2011, USFS wanted to send Dornbush to JWs (lost out on a couple international JGP spots initially due to the highest finish only being like 8th and only got them back from the sub list) and really didn't expect Dornbush to finish 2nd overall (no one really expected Abbott to skate that poorly in the long). Let's say Farris pulls off something similar where he's just wonderful and Abbott still isn't fully healthy and struggles in the LP and the results look something like:
Miner
Farris
Messing
Abbott

If you think Farris isn't going to Senior Worlds in that scenario (which is kinda like what the 2011 scenario was), well, I got some swamp land in Arizona I could sell you...;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's not that much different in Senior men this year - Abbott has had a crappy fall (for him) with the back problems and Miner has posted the highest score internationally this fall and no one else has really had a good fall international season. I would not call Dornbush's results this fall "fairly well" as his scores have been pretty much buried and he's been totally unpredictable consistency wise (except you know he's good for a couple mistakes). I am pretty sure in 2011, USFS wanted to send Dornbush to JWs (lost out on a couple international JGP spots initially due to the highest finish only being like 8th and only got them back from the sub list) and really didn't expect Dornbush to finish 2nd overall (no one really expected Abbott to skate that poorly in the long). Let's say Farris pulls off something similar where he's just wonderful and Abbott still isn't fully healthy and struggles in the LP and the results look something like:
Miner
Farris
Messing
Abbott

If you think Farris isn't going to Senior Worlds in that scenario (which is kinda like what the 2011 scenario was), well, I got some swamp land in Arizona I could sell you...;)

Fair point and I hope you're right, I would love to see Josh go to Worlds or 4CC, I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up after what happened at Nationals last year. I think he's really great and capable of scoring very well if he does what he can, so I'm just hoping for the best and am anxious to see the results! Apparently he practiced well today.

Also it's worth noting Dornbush placed 2nd in 2011 without even having a great SP. He was okay, but didn't try a quad and all his jumps were nervy on the landing, so he was only in the penultimate warmup with a sub-70 score but then his FS was good enough to pull him up all the way to 2nd, ahead of Jeremy who had around 10 points on him after the SP. So, anything really can happen. Plus I think the SP outcome could be interesting, Josh won't try the quad there, a bunch of the others (Miner, Dornbush, Mahbanoozadeh, Aaron - not sure about Abbott, Messing, etc) will, but I tend to think a clean SP from someone like Josh would score ahead of a SP with a fall on the quad (or other mistakes) from most of these other guys. If the guys are succesful with the quads, then yeah that's a big advantage and the scores will likely be big, but add a mistake and all of a sudden it seems like the quad in the SP really isn't worth the risk unless it's rock solid.

Last edited:

rocketry

Rinkside
It looks like the Zhous uploaded some clips from Junior Nationals, including a really nice quality version of the LP! Really impressed by how he carries his choreography and finishes his jumps. Also, his outfit is impeccable. :p I hadn't watched the rest because I forgot you can watch it On Demand. I will soon XD

Vincent Zhou's SP

http://youtu.be/5QLzxSTpwSM

Vincent Zhou's LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTRnoX47qI

Nice clip of the podium too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzpynh1e4s&feature=share&list=UUETK8AOpqHuNeJIw0Fj464g