2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like Karen's coach. He seems to know how to work with her. I noticed at the K&C, he explained to her why she got the URs on the 3-3, then said. "Don't worry. Keep working on it. You'll get consistent."

icellist

On the Ice
So if a skater attempts a triple jump, but only rotates it 2.99 times, it is an under rotation.

If a skater attempts a triple jump, and only rotates it 2.74 times, it is a downgrade.

2.75+ is still a triple.
2.50-2.74 is an underrotation
2.49- is a downgrade

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Love the podium and so happy Polina won! I hope she continues to work on the URs because her skating has become so, so lovely. Impressed by Mariah too, great presence and her jumps actually look a lot better than last year. I like Barbie too even though she is a bit robotic, her toe jumps get great height and she has a nice, elegant look on the ice and a great layback spin, lots to build on and I do think eventually she could become graceful. Reminds me a little bit of Gao a few years back actually, solid technician, just kind of stiff and awkward, but Gao has come into her own and is now graceful and lovely so Barbie definitely has the potential to do that same if she just sticks with it.

delray1977

Rinkside
It was on ice network sp article Karen lost quite bit of time this season on practice due to hip injury so that explain why she got all those call. She just didn't have the time to work on them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, this is a sport and yes, URs matter...but I loved Polina s skate for the artistry. You go, girl!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, no need to worry bout Chen. She's young and driven. Barring injury, she'll be fine!

But actually she is old enough to compete in JGP in the upcoming season. She will turn 14 in August, the requirement is to be 13 by July 1 2013 for the 2013-2014 season.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Polina doesnt sound like an American name
is she Polish, Czech, Ukrainian or Russian descent ?

skatel80

On the Ice
I just finished watching the event, The top four were excellent, Karen chen was great even with the downgrades, Barbie has great high jumps, Mariah is just fabulous and polina edmunds reminds me of a young Carolina Kostner :). But outside the top four there were some skaters who really caught my eye, Madison Vinci is a beautiful skater and Amber glenn landed a rippon triple lutz and had a lot of fire in her presentation :) Well done to all the ladies!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Last year, I saw the top 3 competing in SJ. Then, I said Mariah is a star!!! Give her a few more years, she would be the top American. I wasn't that impressed with Polina, I thought she was ok. I didn't think too highly of Barbie. She was forgettable.

Hopefully Mariah will continue to do well.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I was really impressed with Polina's control and artistry! The jumps are still sometimes iffy, but her landings are nice and her presentation has improved tremendously over last season! I agree about the Kostner resemblences between her 3-3s, body type, and SPEED! That girl skates so fast. She might get the jumps more solid once she builds some more muscle, she obviously grew a lot recently and her body still seems to be in that gangly catch-up phase. Barbie is somewhat forgettable but I still really like her and think she could go far. Her jumps are just really solid, and she too has grown a lot in the past couple years, on the podium she was an inch or two taller than Polina, so her technical prowess considering her growth and now fairly tall stature is impressive, and she isn't really prone to the URs so much.

Oldtdm

Spectator
I think Polina's participation in the US Challenge skate in SLC that went on at the same time as the Senior B event qualifies her with the TES Mins as judged by an International Judging panel - at least I think they can send her to JW if they want to !

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Polina gets older and fills out she will get stronger. She already can do most of the triples. She's come a long way from that 12 year old two years ago who looked a bit out of place as skating against the older Juniors.