2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
I guess, unless you're an icenetwork subscriber, you're out of luck where videos are concerned...

Anyone watching?

Reginald

Match Penalty
I'm watching the numbers . . . not quite the same thing but this is life when you are a figure skating fan.

I'm watching the numbers on icenetwork too.

Here comes the heavy hitters group.

Can Karen Chen come through in the clutch?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Huh, Frank Carroll is in the K&C with Polina and her current coach? Coaching change? Co-coach?

ETA: Tweet from annmjenson: #frankcarrollrules Frank has been seeing Polina on Sundays in Palm Springs, BTW #omaha2013.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Polina Edmunds: Long program score 101.63. Total score: 159.80.

However, her score at sectionals was 166.62.

Her score at regionals was 158.18.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hm...Polina gets 101. Much better than last year, but well off Gracie's 118 from last year; I think Polina knew that.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
probably some underrotated jumps. Only thing i can think of with her score being that low for a mostly clean program.

icellist

On the Ice
What happened to Shpilband? I'm only going off the unofficial results but she went from the final group to last? Mid-skate injury?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What happened to Shpilband? I'm only going off the unofficial results but she went from the final group to last? Mid-skate injury?

She just fell apart--a few falls, a waltz jump (i.e. ZERO points).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocals:

Polina: 3 URs, 1 DG and edge call on the flip. So with out the URs -- 4 clean triples. That explains the relatively low score.
Barbie: One UR, -GOE on the flip, low level step sequence. But all level 4 spins. She actually wins in TES. 5 clean, non UR triples.
Mariah: edge callon the lutz (where she fell), -GOE on popped flip. But she got the highest PCS. 4 clean triples
Karen: Yikes, three DG. UR on another jump Edge call on the flip. Sad, not a single clean UR triple. :( Layback always lovely, though!
The rest of the final group sort of melted down....

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68390/results.html

Looks like Gracie gets to keep her record for another year.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Bummer, well below her best fs score, oh well something to work on. Got to hit those jumps. Skate last is never easy esp know it is within your grasp. Good learning experience.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
wow, just looked at the protocols and LOTS of cheated and downgraded jumps by several girls. karen had 3 jumps downgraded and 2 more with cheats. polina had one downgrade and 3 other cheats, and madison vinci had 3 downgrades also. the rest of the field had numerous cheats/downgrades too. they've got some work cut out for next year and polina at least for junior worlds.

i love polina's grace and maturity, and all her jumps were so easy for her. congrats on the win.
mariah deserves the silver for sure, she has improved so much since last year. her jumps are so much more solid and no cheats, and she is so fun to watch.
barbie skated great, it was good to see her come back after the short. although i do still find her boring, she also has improved since last year.
i am in LOVE with karen's skating. she is so mature for her age and takes total command of the ice. so happy she wound up with a medal despite the downgrades.
i also found a few of the other girls to be quite boring for their music choices, such as madison and katia.
although amanda gelb wound up in 11th, i really like her skating. she is a very pretty skater and skates to the music, not through it like some of the other girls. i hope she stays another year junior and gets some more triples under her belt and she will end up with a medal.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad Chen didn't win. Right now the other girls have more maturity to their skating and Karen is a bit of a jumping bean. It doesn't help that she's so tiny. Growing a few inches might help with her look next season. She has a lot of time to mature.

macy

Record Breaker
What is the difference between a downgrade and an under rotation?

a downgrade is when a skater cheats the landing more than 1/4 of a rotation and it gets downgraded to a double. a UR is less than 1/4 rotation and gets negative GOE.

Reginald

Match Penalty
a downgrade is when a skater cheats the landing more than 1/4 of a rotation and it gets downgraded to a double. a UR is less than 1/4 rotation and gets negative GOE.

So if a skater attempts a triple jump, but only rotates it 2.99 times, it is an under rotation.

If a skater attempts a triple jump, and only rotates it 2.74 times, it is a downgrade.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So if a skater attempts a triple jump, but only rotates it 2.99 times, it is an under rotation.

If a skater attempts a triple jump, and only rotates it 2.74 times, it is a downgrade.

In general, if it's that close (2.99), I don't really see the judges giving it a UR. Basically it's more of a matter if it's close to that .25 cheat.

ETA: What icellist said below.

Last edited: