Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Junior Ladies

What is the difference between a downgrade and an under rotation?

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=Reginald;700686]Karen Chen finishes in fourth place.[/QUOTE

Good. She's too young to be the next great one. Can she even skate in the Jr Grand Prix next year?

Protocals:

Polina: 3 URs, 1 DG and edge call on the flip. So with out the URs -- 4 clean triples. That explains the relatively low score.
    Barbie: One UR, -GOE on the flip, low level step sequence. But all level 4 spins. She actually wins in TES. 5 clean, non UR triples.
    Mariah: edge callon the lutz (where she fell), -GOE on popped flip. But she got the highest PCS. 4 clean triples
    Karen: Yikes, three DG. UR on another jump Edge call on the flip. Sad, not a single clean UR triple. :( Layback always lovely, though!
    The rest of the final group sort of melted down....

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...0/results.html

Looks like Gracie gets to keep her record for another year.

Custom Title
    Bummer, well below her best fs score, oh well something to work on. Got to hit those jumps. Skate last is never easy esp know it is within your grasp. Good learning experience.
    Last edited by os168; 01-23-2013 at 11:39 PM.

wow, just looked at the protocols and LOTS of cheated and downgraded jumps by several girls. karen had 3 jumps downgraded and 2 more with cheats. polina had one downgrade and 3 other cheats, and madison vinci had 3 downgrades also. the rest of the field had numerous cheats/downgrades too. they've got some work cut out for next year and polina at least for junior worlds.

i love polina's grace and maturity, and all her jumps were so easy for her. congrats on the win.
    mariah deserves the silver for sure, she has improved so much since last year. her jumps are so much more solid and no cheats, and she is so fun to watch.
    barbie skated great, it was good to see her come back after the short. although i do still find her boring, she also has improved since last year.
    i am in LOVE with karen's skating. she is so mature for her age and takes total command of the ice. so happy she wound up with a medal despite the downgrades.
    i also found a few of the other girls to be quite boring for their music choices, such as madison and katia.
    although amanda gelb wound up in 11th, i really like her skating. she is a very pretty skater and skates to the music, not through it like some of the other girls. i hope she stays another year junior and gets some more triples under her belt and she will end up with a medal.

Custom Title
    I'm glad Chen didn't win. Right now the other girls have more maturity to their skating and Karen is a bit of a jumping bean. It doesn't help that she's so tiny. Growing a few inches might help with her look next season. She has a lot of time to mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
    What is the difference between a downgrade and an under rotation?
    a downgrade is when a skater cheats the landing more than 1/4 of a rotation and it gets downgraded to a double. a UR is less than 1/4 rotation and gets negative GOE.

Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    a downgrade is when a skater cheats the landing more than 1/4 of a rotation and it gets downgraded to a double. a UR is less than 1/4 rotation and gets negative GOE.
    So if a skater attempts a triple jump, but only rotates it 2.99 times, it is an under rotation.

If a skater attempts a triple jump, and only rotates it 2.74 times, it is a downgrade.

[QUOTE=ucrgirl;700688]
    Karen Chen finishes in fourth place.[/QUOTE

Good. She's too young to be the next great one. Can she even skate in the Jr Grand Prix next year?
    No.

So if a skater attempts a triple jump, but only rotates it 2.99 times, it is an under rotation.

If a skater attempts a triple jump, and only rotates it 2.74 times, it is a downgrade.
    In general, if it's that close (2.99), I don't really see the judges giving it a UR. Basically it's more of a matter if it's close to that .25 cheat.

ETA: What icellist said below.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-23-2013 at 11:44 PM.

I like Karen's coach. He seems to know how to work with her. I noticed at the K&C, he explained to her why she got the URs on the 3-3, then said. "Don't worry. Keep working on it. You'll get consistent."

Custom Title

2.75+ is still a triple.
    2.50-2.74 is an underrotation
    2.49- is a downgrade

Custom Title
    Love the podium and so happy Polina won! I hope she continues to work on the URs because her skating has become so, so lovely. Impressed by Mariah too, great presence and her jumps actually look a lot better than last year. I like Barbie too even though she is a bit robotic, her toe jumps get great height and she has a nice, elegant look on the ice and a great layback spin, lots to build on and I do think eventually she could become graceful. Reminds me a little bit of Gao a few years back actually, solid technician, just kind of stiff and awkward, but Gao has come into her own and is now graceful and lovely so Barbie definitely has the potential to do that same if she just sticks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    2.75+ is still a triple.
    2.50-2.74 is an underrotation
    2.49- is a downgrade
    Thanks.

Tripping on the Podium
    It was on ice network sp article Karen lost quite bit of time this season on practice due to hip injury so that explain why she got all those call. She just didn't have the time to work on them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast