Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by katymay View Post
    All of which leads me to believe she was judged based on past performances/practice rather than the program that was actually skated. I did not see more then the allowable .25 on the loops...however, someone here says that the primary UR was on the take off. Maybe so, but I sure can't find it.
    But then look at last year. Same situation and she was right in the mix...I don't know what was up this time. I could have understood something like 54...but 49??? Lowball. And I'm not her fan.

Conspiracy theories are always floating around that USFS wants this result, or the judges want to send so-and-so, and initially you hope it's all crock...but sometimes when you see shady scoring like this, it can't be helped to wonder if there's actually something in those statements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    But then look at last year. Same situation and she was right in the mix...I don't know what was up this time. I could have understood something like 54...but 49??? Lowball. And I'm not her fan.

Conspiracy theories are always floating around that USFS wants this result, or the judges want to send so-and-so, and initially you hope it's all crock...but sometimes when you see shady scoring like this, it can't be helped to wonder if there's actually something in those statements.
    To give the judging some credit, Caroline was not the only skater who received an underrotation call.

Looking at the protocols, especially on triple-triples half of the skaters in the top 12 received underrotation calls including: Hicks (Triple Flip-Triple Toe), Siraj (Triple Toe-Triple Toe), Miller (Triple Loop), Gold (Triple Flip-Triple Toe), Cain (Triple Sal), and Zhang (Loop & Flip).

My qualm is more with the rulebook, rather than the judging.

Surprise, you may be 12th or 5th. No one knows for sure until scores show up -- you don't know, the audience at the rink and at home don't know, even other skaters watching and expert commentators don't know, and even some judges in the building might not know until the Technical Controller tells them!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    To give the judging some credit, Caroline was not the only skater who received an underrotation call.

Looking at the protocols, especially on triple-triples half of the skaters in the top 12 received underrotation calls including: Hicks (Triple Flip-Triple Toe), Siraj (Triple Toe-Triple Toe), Miller (Triple Loop), Gold (Triple Flip-Triple Toe), Cain (Triple Sal), and Zhang (Loop & Flip).
    Having not seen the videos of any of these skaters except for Zhang, I don't know how much I agree with any of those calls. They may have been obviously underrotated, or in the case of Zhang not obviously underrotated/downgraded.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    Surprise, you may be 12th or 5th. No one knows for sure until scores show up -- you don't know, the audience at the rink and at home don't know, even other skaters watching and expert commentators don't know, and even some judges in the building might not know until the Technical Controller tells them!
    Think it does FS any favors?

The commentators don't necessarily have to get it right 100% of the time but they should at least have an idea. If they don't, you've got a problem...if the scoring is stumping/confounding even NJS experts, you've REALLY got a problem

Rinkside
    I guess caroline may not attempt 3lo+3lo anymore, or any other ladies. She even got a better score at 4cc last year even with a fall on the combination. It must have been a shock since she was doing pretty well until the scores came up.

Custom Title
    Didn't recognize Hicks at first. She looks almost the same height but her size is different. Spins still amazing but she's lost some stretch which happens with puberty usually.

Custom Title
    This is interesting: Gracie Gold skates at the Wagon Wheels club, which I think is Janet Lynn's old club.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is interesting: Gracie Gold skates at the Wagon Wheels club, which I think is Janet Lynn's old club.
    Scott Hamilton skated there, too, and yes Lynn was one of their stars. Scott wrote about watching her skate there and having her give him advice that he blew off as a kid.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Scott Hamilton skated there, too, and yes Lynn was one of their stars. Scott wrote about watching her skate there and having her give him advice that he blew off as a kid.
    Thanks, Toni. That's funny about Scotty.

I like Gracie's skating. Her jumps are wonderfully springy. And I really love Christina. I hope she pulls herself up in the Long. By the way, I like Ashley's program. That jump where she lands and immediately does a leap--what an exit! And her spins are faster this year.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35