2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh, oh, oh. Now let's see Gracie's score. I wonder if they will be generous just to keep her in the running. I'm sorry she didn't have a good skate, because I expected her to do well. She seemed really nervous when she started just like she was at the opening of her first GP performance.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Oh, oh, oh. Now let's see Gracie's score. I wonder if they will be generous just to keep her in the running. I'm sorry she didn't have a good skate, because I expected her to do well. She seemed really nervous when she started just like she was at the opening of her first GP performance.

Oh, NO :( Did she fall?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Not a fan of Gold's SP... the smiles are all 5 year old cheese smiles, and she doesn't really have the character of the music IMO.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
At the 2010 Nationals, the fix was in for Rachel to win. I prefer Rachel's skating to Mirai, but NO WAY Rachel should have gotten over 200 points there.

Nah, Mirai had been getting so many UR calls that season (internationally), it was obvious that she was URing all over the place. Nationals isn't was not an exception. If I'm not mistaken, she had UR calls at the Olympics too.

Agree on the 200+ pt. mark though.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Argh Gracie. It was nerves for sure. She's a lovely performer. This is really unfortunate. It's up to her and her coaches to get it together for the FS because if she has a great FS and her first senior nationals she can still make a impression and be one to fear next year.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie doesn't become another Mirai or Alissa not being able to handle the pressure.

samson

Medalist
AAAH man. Gracie just couldn't pull it together for the sp. I have a feeling she'll come back in the free. The toe us under-rotated. She looked so good coming out of the flip. Shame. And the pop in the axel. It just wasn't her night.

emma

Record Breaker
Yikes...I feel bad for Gracie.

I hate the Zhang got downgrades and UR....but, speed aside, I still think she looks improved AND I really enjoyed her performance.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So since politics still enters into the scores, why are we bothering with this BS scoring system which disconnects the audience from the results and has injured skaters with legs flying out of their sockets? How about returning to 6.0 with NO anonymous judging, and institute a judging oversight committee.

I didn't think that US Nationals had anonymous judging. Can someone clarify?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Nah, Mirai had been getting so many UR calls that season (internationally), it was obvious that she was URing all over the place. Nationals isn't was not an exception. If I'm not mistaken, she had UR calls at the Olympics too.

Agree on the 200+ pt. mark though.

I seem to remember that Mirai didn't get UR call during the FS at the Olympics, or at least not many. Rachael got two, which many people deemed unfair after seeing the vids.

Art&Sport

Medalist
They definitely didn't have a choice but to keep Gracie down because of mistakes on important elements, plus she was too nervous to present to a better level. If Gold didn't have the name and rep (plus a good showing at one GP), she would have scored lower here for the same skate.

Gracie's score puts an even bigger spotlight on the fact that Zhang should have placed higher, Cesario should have been higher and even Hannah Miller should have placed higher.