2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

samson

Medalist
The start order for the senior ladies has been posted!
1 Samantha Cesario, SC of New York
2 Mirai Nagasu, Pasadena FSC
3 Angela Wang, Salt Lake Figure Skating
4 Hannah Miller, Lansing SC
5 Haley Dunne, University of Delaware FSC
6 Yasmin Siraj, SC Of Boston
7 Leah Keiser, All Year FSC
8 Courtney Hicks, All Year FSC
9 Amanda Hofmann, Portland ISC
10 Becky Bereswill, Detroit SC
11 Caroline Zhang, All Year FSC
12 Joelle Forte, SC of New York
13 Kiri Baga, FSC of Bloomington
14 Gracie Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC
15 Laney Diggs, St. Moritz ISC
16 Christina Gao, SC Of Boston
17 Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of Texas
18 Sophia Adams, All Year FSC
19 Morgan Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC
20 Ashley Wagner, SC of Wilmington
21 Agnes Zawadzki, Broadmoor SC

When I have a little more time I'll offer my thoughts and speculations! EXCITING

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
The start order for the senior ladies has been posted!
1 Samantha Cesario, SC of New York
2 Mirai Nagasu, Pasadena FSC
3 Angela Wang, Salt Lake Figure Skating
4 Hannah Miller, Lansing SC
5 Haley Dunne, University of Delaware FSC
6 Yasmin Siraj, SC Of Boston
7 Leah Keiser, All Year FSC
8 Courtney Hicks, All Year FSC
9 Amanda Hofmann, Portland ISC
10 Becky Bereswill, Detroit SC
11 Caroline Zhang, All Year FSC
12 Joelle Forte, SC of New York
13 Kiri Baga, FSC of Bloomington
14 Gracie Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC
15 Laney Diggs, St. Moritz ISC
16 Christina Gao, SC Of Boston
17 Ashley Cain, Stars FSC of Texas
18 Sophia Adams, All Year FSC
19 Morgan Bell, Rocky Mountain FSC
20 Ashley Wagner, SC of Wilmington
21 Agnes Zawadzki, Broadmoor SC

When I have a little more time I'll offer my thoughts and speculations! EXCITING

Ugh-VERY early draw for Mirai! :/

samson

Medalist
She seems to have a knack for early sp draws. Hopefully she can get out there and just bust out a great sp and set the standard high. It sounds like she's hitting clean triple/triples consistently in practice and with her new mentality hopefully she can translate that into a great routine.

The other one I find particularly interesting is Agnes skating last right after Ashley. If Ashley skates the way everyone is anticipating I think it will be really interesting to see Agnes' mindset. It will certainly be a good test to see how competitive she can be.

It also looks like Gracie and Christina will be in the same warm-up group. I don't necessarily see that bothering either of them but they both are definitely on contention for that second world spot.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It also looks like Gracie and Christina will be in the same warm-up group. I don't necessarily see that bothering either of them but they both are definitely on contention for that second world spot.

No, with 21 skaters the groups would be 5-5-5-6, so Gao will be in the final warmup group.

mskater93

Record Breaker
tough draw for Nagasu being early and in the same group as Cesario who has mature presentation but easier elements, Wang who can hit a big point-scorer 3+3, and Miller who has a lot of it factor (although Nagasu can do all of that when she's on). Czsiny put up a SP score 2 years ago that stood from the 2nd spot and there's less pressure that early because you have to go for everything you plan, no playing it safe.
Pretty good draw for Gold in that she's going to look like the class of the field in that warm up group from both a TES and PCS aspect (sorry, Zhang fans, it's true)
Great draw for Wagner - she'll know what she has to do and she's an awesome strategist. Zawadski I worry about if Wagner's electric going last (and right after her)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
tough draw for Nagasu being early and in the same group as Cesario who has mature presentation but easier elements, Wang who can hit a big point-scorer 3+3, and Miller who has a lot of it factor (although Nagasu can do all of that when she's on). Czsiny put up a SP score 2 years ago that stood from the 2nd spot and there's less pressure that early because you have to go for everything you plan, no playing it safe.
Pretty good draw for Gold in that she's going to look like the class of the field in that warm up group from both a TES and PCS aspect (sorry, Zhang fans, it's true)
Great draw for Wagner - she'll know what she has to do and she's an awesome strategist. Zawadski I worry about if Wagner's electric going last (and right after her)

And doesn't Agnes hate going last?

Reginald

Match Penalty
What's interesting here is that none of the skaters skated in a senior nationals before 2008. It's all newbies here.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Rachael Flatt also skated 2nd in the SP in 2010 when she won Nationals. It won't hurt Mirai unless she makes mistakes.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Okay, my mistake.

It is interesting that this is only her 3rd senior nationals.

Wasn't Forte skating for Australia for awhile?

For the record ;):

Omaha is Forte's fourth time at senior nationals (after she previously competed in 2009, 2011, and 2012).

Dunno the answer re Australia, but per her bio:
"In July 2009, she decided she would not skate for the United States in 2009-10 ... She ultimately attempted to compete for Azerbaijan, but she never appeared in an event as a representative of that country ... Decided to once again compete in the United States in 2010-11."

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think Mirai got a good spot (2nd). She'll have less time to think about what she has to do and with only one skater ahead of her, she doesn't have to focus on hitting a mark (in terms of score); she can just skate. If she does well I don't think the judges will hold back on her score. They know she's a top 5 skater and if she nails it I think they'll score her appropriately.

Same thing for Angela. She's a very good FS skater but her issue is usually with the SP. Maybe with less time to stress about it she'll be able to hit it out of the park...

Gracie's obviously the star of her group so hopefully that will help her relax.

That final group is pretty stacked: Christina and then Ashley and Agnes back to back. Ashley should be used to skating late so I'm not worried about her, but I agree with those who said Agnes may be at a disadvantage having to skate last. All of the top competitors will have gone which means she'll know what she needs to do...on one hand that's great but on the other, that could be pressure. Plus it's well-known she doesn't like to skate last.

I'm excited! :popcorn:

Trewyn

Medalist
Wow, seeing the starting order makes me realize it's really happening tomorrow! (Though technically it'll be Friday for me :p) Ashley is used to skating last and likes skating when the pressure's on. Go Ashley!!