2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If she performs the heck out of it and sticks all the elements, why not? The program's a lot more than just a jump combination and another jumping pass. You of all people should know that since you started the popular PCS thread. :p

Exactly. I love her SP.

What's with all the tangos tonight?! They're all starting to sound the same.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Does anybody know what the record is for lowest mean short program score at a Ladies US Nationals?

wallylutz

Medalist
Well, Wagner has a lutz (I think), but it's also a 3-2. And even if she falls, I expect her to be placed ahead of Mirai. Maybe even 70+ (which would be a relief, given the state of the field).

I don't think Wanger has a 3Lz planned in the SP, it's a 3Lo her solo jump.

willdu

On the Ice
If she performs the heck out of it, why not?

One thing I wished Mirai would do. Haven't seen her perform the heck out of anything since Worlds in 2010 for the SP. Maybe her Witches of eastwick? Mirai needs to channel her spunk again. But congrats on her achievement. Seems like the coach change was extremely beneficial. That spartacus program was boring.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yes, exactly. It's a similar situation with Adelina in Russia. I hope they both will learn from their experiences and be better for it.

Ah well, it's one bad SP at nats. But it would certainly do her a lot of a good if she nailed her FS. If she nails it and moves up in the standings I'm certain that people will still be talking about her as one to watch out for next year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah well, it's one bad SP at nats. But it would certainly do her a lot of a good if she nailed her FS. If she nails it and moves up in the standings I'm certain that people will still be talking about her as one to watch out for next year.

Yes.....I'm hoping she does a better FS as well. She can move up if she does well, she's only five points behind Courtney Hicks in the No. 2 spot.

ForeverFish

Medalist
In the interests of combating endemic nationals inflation, I hope not...

We'll have to see what the judges think, really...but whatever crowd is present will love her, and even with a 1.00 deduction, she shouldn't have any problem clearing the 70 mark.

Also, I already have the nagging suspicion that a clean or semi-clean Gold on Saturday will end up on the podium. The judges really tried to save her with that 54.08.

wallylutz

Medalist
If she performs the heck out of it and sticks all the elements, why not? The program's a lot more than just a jump combination and another jumping pass. You of all people should know that since you started the popular PCS thread. :p

O.K., you got me. ;) My concern is though given Mirai skated so early, and most likely got low-balled in terms of her PCS as a result of the skating order - would it be fair knowing this unfortunate fact of life in skating?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
One thing I wished Mirai would do. Haven't seen her perform the heck out of anything since Worlds in 2010 for the SP. Maybe her Witches of eastwick? Mirai needs to channel her spunk again. But congrats on her achievement. Seems like the coach change was extremely beneficial. That spartacus program was boring.

Yeah it is weird, Mirai's exhibitions have been better performed than her competition programs these past years. I prefer her exhibition this year for example than her competition programs.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Mirai can't seem to do her jumps and skate with freedom at the same time it seems. She looks like she's checking off the elements and it hurts her performance.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Mirai can't seem to do her jumps and skate with freedom at the same time it seems. She looks like she's checking off the elements and it doesn't look natural.

Mirai was excellent tonight. Best SP I've ever seen her skate. And that includes the one from the 2010 Worlds.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Welcome, and I agree. I don't understand the serious look Mirai had at the end of her SP tonight. She had nailed it! But then it sounds a bit mean of me to nitpick when she had such a great night. I blame it on the short program. I don't think it suits her and I think she has to think through the music and the steps of this type of music. she can move to it technically quite well but it doesn't seem natural.

willdu

On the Ice
Yeah it is weird, Mirai's exhibitions have been better performed than her competition programs these past years. I prefer her exhibition this year for example than her competition programs.

That's really weird. I never made that connection. Her exhibition programs always have the spark that we used to see from her. Maybe it's the pressure. I definitely prefer no spunk and no fall versus lots of spunk and lots of splat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
O.K., you got me. ;) My concern is though given Mirai skated so early, and most likely got low-balled in terms of her PCS as a result of the skating order - would it be fair knowing this unfortunate fact of life in skating?

FWIW, Mirai got 29.66 in PCS. vs 28.82 at NHK.