2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

mskater93

Record Breaker
Kwanatic - fairly is a buge Caroline Zhang fan and everyone else sucks in his/her estimation and feels that no one is treated as harshly by any judging panel as she is and it's not fair. ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW: Had Zhang not get those DG/UR and GOE was netural, she would have received a total score of 59.19, which is actually comparable to her score from last year. But her PCS is low relative to last year....more than two points lower this year.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Nagasu shorted her rotations in two of her feature to the location of the review camera on the CCoSp which is how she got a level 2. This is why MOST coaches work with their skaters to identify the location of the review camera while at practice and also why they (should) stress to hold the positions longer than they feel is "two revs". It's not a big conspiracy to hold Nagasu (or anyone else) down...:rolleye:

I looked at the combo spin again to see what was short, but everything seemed to be greater than 2 revolutions: the front camel, 3 illusions, sideways sit, back camel, catchfoot, and then I-spin. Which ones do you think they saw as short?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Kwanatic - fairly is a buge Caroline Zhang fan and everyone else sucks in his/her estimation and feels that no one is treated as harshly by any judging panel as she is and it's not fair. ;)

Oooooh...okay, I guess I get it now. I admire the improvements Caroline has made and her determination. Sadly, however, her skill level is not up to par with the top ladies.

But fairly shouldn't feel the need to trash everyone else just b/c Caroline isn't doing that well. I was proud of the performance she turned in last night, even with the URs. I hope she has a solid LP for her own satisfaction and personal goals. All she can do now is skate for herself...and there's nothing wrong with that.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I looked at the combo spin again to see what was short, but everything seemed to be greater than 2 revolutions: the front camel, 3 illusions, sideways sit, back camel, catchfoot, and then I-spin. Which ones do you think they saw as short?
Read my second post after I went and reviewed it - the initial camel spin dumps out of its rotational circle (you can see her kind of hitch around 1 3/4 revs) before the minimum number of revs to establish the base spin position was reached which negates ALL the features on that 1/2 of the spin.

Reginald

Match Penalty
I just watched Agnes's SP performance. The stands are still more than 1/2 empty and she was the last skater.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Read my second post after I went and reviewed it - the initial camel spin dumps out of its rotational circle (you can see her kind of hitch around 1 3/4 revs) before the minimum number of revs to establish the base spin position was reached which negates ALL the features on that 1/2 of the spin.

Oh, I see. Thanks! That makes sense, because before I noticed that when skaters wobbled on the entrance/first parts of the spin, it would frequently be called level 1 (or just a lower level).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow, Wagner definitely got a break there by not drawing last...

Nagasu is definitely in an interesting position for sure.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Oh, I see. Thanks! That makes sense, because before I noticed that when skaters wobbled on the entrance/first parts of the spin, it would frequently be called level 1 (or just a lower level).
No problem. I couldn't recall what I had seen last night that immediately struck me that yep, screwed on level, so I went and reviewed it when I had a moment. The rule was updated this year on that.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Agnes and Mirai both looked strong in their main elements. I just can't get excited about either of their short programs this season though.

Icey

Record Breaker
it was a later evening competition on a work/school night. not surprising.

Well, who made the smart decision to hold it then? lol

What Caroline did elsewhere has nothing to do, of course, with last night's skate, but I know she got no UR's for her short at Skate Canada---not on the flip or the loops. So I wonder if she really has the reputation of being an URer. I have never heard that before. Her hammer toe technique with the lutz and flip are the most widely discussed problem I have heard about.

burntBREAD

Medalist

What Caroline did elsewhere has nothing to do, of course, with last night's skate, but I know she got no UR's for her short at Skate Canada---not on the flip or the loops. So I wonder if she really has the reputation of being an URer. I have never heard that before. Her hammer toe technique with the lutz and flip are the most widely discussed problem I have heard about.

Once they started becoming harsher on URs in the 07-08 season, Caroline Zhang was called for a bunch of underrotations. If you go through her protocols from old competitions, < is a relatively common sight. She commonly appeared to skate clean but didn't receive very high scores due to downgrades.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Not that I'm an expert but even when the Kween was skating, the ladies SP had a lot of empty seats. 2005 I was able to sit front row instead of where my seats really were. My whole group did, in fact. We weren't as lucky for the LP, of course.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sigh, those scores for Caroline Zhang are heartbreaking. She should have gotten credit for 3Lo+3Lo< , with no -GOE. The -GOE on the Triple Flip was also too much. AND she also only got a Level 3 call on her Flying Camel when it was CLEARLY Level 4???

She was actually a bit overscored for the Layback spin, though. LOL.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai skating last could be good or bad. The only time i can remember her skating last and as a leader and skating great is at the 2010 Nationals. Of course she was great at the Olympics too but she really didn't have a chance to win there. How will she respond if the girls ahead of her knock it out of the park? At least she won't have a lead to protect so maybe she will go out and attack the ice.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I always prefer Mirai to Caroline but I'm so sorry for Caroline this time! That was really harsh! How could the judges just dump her like that? Ridiculous.

I like Ashley's SP this year. She did well and deserve to be first. I think the top three ranking is fine. Anges did have more flair this time. I don't like Mirai's hands movement, too much flex and too often. She needs to get some refinement and control over her hands.

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Jammers said:
Mirai skating last could be good or bad. The only time i can remember her skating last and as a leader and skating great is at the 2010 Nationals. Of course she was great at the Olympics too but she really didn't have a chance to win there. How will she respond if the girls ahead of her knock it out of the park? At least she won't have a lead to protect so maybe she will go out and attack the ice.

Eh, I say. Pile on the pressure. I'm very lukewarm when it comes to Mirai...I adore her, have always adored her, but these last few years have been nothing but a frustration. USAG cannot afford to keep their skaters comfortable and make everything a pleasant experience...that's how we've had some epic meltdowns at Worlds.

It is fairly safe to say that Ashley Wagner is now someone that USAG can be fairly confident in to pull off a respectable performance. For everyone else, though, it remains to be seen. If Mirai has got her act together enough to go to Worlds and not embarrass herself, then she might as well go knowing that she was able to handle the pressure of Nationals. If she can't pull it off here, she is NOT going to do it there. If her nerves are going do her in, it's better that it happens at Nationals when only a Worlds berth is on the line, rather at Worlds where an entire athlete's ticket to the Olympics rides on her shoulders.

Same goes for Gracie, Agnes, and yes, Ashley (although I'm more comfortable watching her skate, although I hesitate to say that in fear of jinxing her, haha!). If they can't handle the pressure of Nationals, then I've no interest in adding any more gray hairs to my head by watching them at Worlds. :p

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but as you can tell I'm a bit frustrated with my girls at the moment! USA has SO MANY beautiful, talented skaters that have every right to be the best in the world, but they CANNOT GET IT TOGETHER in competition. It's driving me insane.