Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Custom Title
    I think Mirai could possibly have a chance at second, os168, but I doubt first place.

~high art~
    Caroline's triple-triple combination was ridiculous. I thought the second jump was a double or something. Her score was deserved.

Doing a combo ending with a 3Lo, IMO, is a huge risk. Miki Ando had a beautiful 3Z-3Lo when she did it and she often got UR on them. And Ando was someone who had huge height on her jumps.

Caroline has never had huge height on her jumps, so it likely clouded the judges perception the rotation. It looked clean to me, but that's my take on what happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    yikes! Mirai skates last in the FS. Hope history doesn't repeat...
    If she skate like her Olympics Carmen, she is in for a chance for sure!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Doing a combo ending with a 3Lo, IMO, is a huge risk. Miki Ando had a beautiful 3Z-3Lo when she did it and she often got UR on them. And Ando was someone who had huge height on her jumps.

Caroline has never had huge height on her jumps, so it likely clouded the judges perception the rotation. It looked clean to me, but that's my take on what happened.
    I think this is the reason why so many skaters don't do the loop tagged on anymore. It's really easily to be called UR on. It's sade because it really is the only other jump than the toe that can just be tacked on. I'd take watching a jump + 3 loop combo over so x + halfloop + usually 3S anyday.

Custom Title
    I think Agnes was overscored on choreo and interpretation a bit. Even Ashley W could have been scored a bit more under 8.46 (more like 8.20 perhaps). In addition, I think Caroline, Samantha and Hannah were underscored in Interpretation (and likely other categories -- haven't gone through the numbers with a fine-tooth comb). As I said, very subjective and political. And for my taste, too point-gathering oriented to the point where the pieces become more important than the whole, but that's another debate.

Custom Title
    I love your optimism, os168! As it is, I'll be thrilled to bits if Mirai can make the Worlds team (I am assuming Ashley is pretty much a lock for first.)

Now this is how you interview a skater who just had a bad skate.

Good job, Tanith. She doesn't go straight to talking about the bad skate, but rather leads into it. I really like her interviewing style.

Also Gracie is quite classy in this interview as well.

Custom Title
    Of the top ten in the short program, only two skaters did not attempt a 3/3, among those two, of course, Ashley.
    Last edited by Icey; 01-25-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Of the top ten in the short program, only two skaters did not attempt a 3/3, among those two, of course, Ashley.
    I don't blame Ashley for not going for it. With the food poisoning (which can take a lot out of you, I've seen it happen) and the hip pointer, I don't blame her for focusing on doing what she can well.

Sometimes being a champion means playing smart. I certainly would not her to have long-term injuries because she was forcing her self to do things when her body wasn't ready for it.

Custom Title
    Can someone direct me to a link for results? the USFSA site isn't very friendly (IMO) and I don't want to scroll through 28 pages here to find it! TYIA

Custom Title
    Now this is how you interview a skater who just had a bad skate.

Good job, Tanith. She doesn't go straight to talking about the bad skate, but rather leads into it. I really like her interviewing style.

Also Gracie is quite classy in this interview as well.
    Absolutely wonderful by both Tanith and Gracie. I'm so impressed with Tanith's interviewing and commentating skills. She's got the right touch and should go very far in broadcasting if she wants to. I can just see Peter C doing a poor job and also that lady sports broadcaster (I forget which network, and I forget her name) who has done a lot of overly pushy crap question interviews with skaters (maybe it's NBC or ABC).
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 01-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Custom Title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    I think Agnes was overscored on choreo and interpretation a bit. Even Ashley W could have been scored a bit more under 8.46 (more like 8.20 perhaps). In addition, I think Caroline, Samantha and Hannah were underscored in Interpretation (and likely other categories -- haven't gone through the numbers with a fine-tooth comb). As I said, very subjective and political. And for my taste, too point-gathering oriented to the point where the pieces become more important than the whole, but that's another debate.
    What struck me most are how universally aligned these PCS components are per competitors ranking, which would indicate they are more likely used as placement holders rather than their stated purposes unique to each choreography and performance. Looking just on the stats alone, you'd be wondering if they are performing the same choreography!

Yeah Orange Cat I do agree 2nd place is more likely, she need a little luck. I just want Miria to get a chance for the world championships. She missed 2 years already, which is a complete waste for someone so talented! Though I would be if the FS is won by PCS rather than TES, hope that won't happen at FS.

Tripping on the Podium
    Mrs. P Protocal breakdown pt. 2 - PCS

PCS Overall:
    Ashley 32.83
    Agnes 30.37
    Mirai 29.66
    Christina 27.81
    Gracie 26.34
    Caroline 26.29
    Hannah 25.84
    Yasmin 25.74
    Courtney 25.65
    Ashley C. 25.55
    Samantha 25.00
    Angela 24.12

Skating Skills (SS)
    Ashley 8.00
    Agnes 7.75
    Mirai 7.46
    Christina 7.04
    Gracie 6.93
    Courtney 6.57
    Caroline 6.54
    Angela 6.36
    Ashley C. 6.36
    Yasmin 6.32
    Hannah 6.25
    Samantha 6.21

Transitions (TR)
    Ashley 7.86
    Agnes 7.25
    Mirai 7.07
    Christina 6.71
    Gracie 6.39
    Yasmin 6.32
    Hannah 6.32
    Ashley C. 6.07
    Caroline 6.07
    Courtney 5.96
    Samantha 5.93
    Angela 5.86

Performance/Execution (PE)
    Ashley 8.43
    Agnes 7.68
    Mirai 7.57
    Christina 6.86
    Caroline 6.71
    Courtney 6.64
    Gracie 6.57
    Hannah 6.57
    Samantha 6.43
    Yasmin 6.39
    Ashley C. 6.50
    Angela 5.89

Choreography (CH)
    Ashley 8.29
    Agnes 7.71
    Mirai 7.46
    Christina 7.07
    Gracie 7.71
    Caroline 6.79
    Yasmin 6.68
    Hannah 6.61
    Ashley C. 6.61
    Courtney 6.46
    Samantha 6.32
    Angela 6.18

Interpretation (IN)
    Ashley 8.46
    Agnes 7.57
    Mirai 7.50
    Christina 7.07
    Caroline 6.75
    Ashley C. 6.61
    Gracie 6.57
    Hannah 6.54
    Yasmin 6.46
    Courtney 6.43
    Samantha 6.36
    Angela 5.86

For all this talk about people getting dumped or boosted by PCS scores here, I'm not sure if I see it....

So Gao finished 4th in section of the PCS, so it has to be her technical marks that pushed her to fifth...and also her mistake on the spin, which she did receive some credit for but i'm sure was reflected in the PCS.

As someone else stated Zawadski had a great sp last year (1st after sp) but her fs was problematic. I'm not sure I ever remember seeing her skate two clean programs in one competition...although she could surprise, I would expect Nagasu to move up to 2nd with Wagner holding onto 1st (even with falls). Gold will move up with her fs but whether it is enough to secure a medal (i.e. 4th) finish...well...I would be slightly surprised but not shocked...I think she will make FCC team.

Interesting at the press conference Wagner was asked about a 3-3 combination and whether she would need it against the likes of Asada and Kim. Her response was typical but I think honest and suggestive of where her mind set is. Obviously the questioner was attempting to solicit whether Wagner believes she could beat Asada and/or Kim at worlds (probably put Kostner in there too). IMHO, I think Wagner, or anyone else for that matter, has no shot of beating Kim at Worlds unless Kim just makes too many mistakes or does not show up at all. Wagner has definitely improved her skating in the past couple of years and become a far more fierce competitor, but when Kim skates clean, she is in a league of her own. I think everyone else will be skating for second and third, which I believe Wagner has a shot if she adds a 3-3...but this might also depend on whether Asada adds her 3A, and doesn't Kostner have a 3-3.

This brings me to the world team. If the US is serious about gaining the 3rd spot for next year, they need to think seriously about who they send. I think Wagner is a lock but the second position is in the air, and that second position should not necessarily be given to the competitor that finishes 2nd at US Nationals but the best competitor who has the greatest chance of placing top 7 or 8. It'll be interesting to see who is granted the 2nd spot.

Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast