Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: 2013 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I feel awful for Caroline. Especialy after all the work she did to get back in contention last year. She gained some notice again last year, but it seems after a relatively poor fall, and the excitement over Ashley finally reaching the bigtime, Gold now a senior, Gao's good year, Nagasu looking rejuvenated, Agnes's potential, and a second tier up and comers starting to make their presence known, they were just happy to dump her completely for good, figuring she really has no place in the future plans for U.S women. I wonder if we will even see her back next season. She is one tough and determined girl if she comes back.
    Definitely felt like a "wuzrobbed" moment when she got her scores. I felt pretty bad for her. The tech panel should have been more lenient since the rotations were pretty borderline (to my eyes at least).

Custom Title
    Ashley appeared (to me) to have skated slower/nervous/cautious than her normal-self. A bit surprised at her high score.
    Mirai was a joy to watch! Glad she's back on track now.
    at Caroline's low score. The audience' reaction (booiing) tells it all. Why US tech panel so harsh ONLY on Caroline...
    Unfortunate fall on 2A for Agnes.

Nagasu should have won SP, imo.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Falls under CoP have always been less punitive than downgrades. It's perplexing because falls are so jarring and take away from the impression, while under-rotations are hardly noticeable except to the keen, trained eye. It's a tough balance but I do agree under-rotations shouldn't be so punitive relative to falls.
    Agreed. It's terrible that under-rotations are the worst mistake a skater can make. I'm fine with full downgrades for being a half-rotation short. But regular under-rotations should just be a -2 or -3 GOE without chopping the base value - otherwise, it's just double jeopardy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ View Post

Poor Gracie....but perhaps not the year to have her on a World Team when we need to get 3 spots back...and she has some nerve issues.
    Gracie is still young, she has a bit of nerve issue though not as severe as Adelinas
    I think Mirai is the safe bet to get 23 spots back for Olympics

Custom Title
    How come a wooden Ashley and Agnes with a fall are higher than gorgeous Mirai. Frankly, she and Gracie are my fav US skaters. Ashley is consistent but she's unpleasant to watch, she reminds of a wooden toy - stretch your arms, lift your arms...all her movements don't look nice to me. Agnes seems artificial to me.
    I think the placement reflects the intention of sending AW and AZ to the Worlds and secure 3 spots for the next year. Mirai is inconsistent.

Banned
    that was a bit of a splatfest
    hopefully FS will be better

Custom Title
    Zawadzki is not much faster than C. Zhang and not any more consistent than Nagasu. Why does USFSA love her so much? There is nothing about her that stands out? It isn't like she is cracking out 3lz-3ts either. Is it because she is blonde?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gioccia View Post
    How come a wooden Ashley and Agnes with a fall are higher than gorgeous Mirai. Frankly, she and Gracie are my fav US skaters. Ashley is consistent but she's unpleasant to watch, she reminds of a wooden toy - stretch your arms, lift your arms...all her movements don't look nice to me. Agnes seems artificial to me.
    I think the placement reflects the intention of sending AW and AZ to the Worlds and secure 3 spots for the next year. Mirai is inconsistent.
    Well it makes sense for the USFSA and U.S judges to go into Nationals with a "if she stands up most of the 2 programs she wins, period" attitude when it comes to Wagner. Whether her skating is everyones cup of tea or not fact is she has the most international street cred right now, she is by far their best hope for a high finish or possible medal at Worlds, and she has been their most consistent and reliable skater by a long ways the last 2 seasons.

How they scored Nagasu vs Agnes given Agnes having a fall was a surprise to me, and I do agree telling of the where the USFSA wants to go with this. Agnes still has to deliver a strong enough LP to preserve her spot though, since even if the judges would rather give it to her, if Nagasu outskates her by enough they would have no choice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    PCS:32.83 TES:34.74 Total:67.57

Good job, Ashley I'm surprised that there's no inflation on the scores.
    US nationals this year is very commendable
    the scores barely reflect any minimum inflation

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Agnes beats Mirai on PCS.

Interesting.
    which is just wrong
    I never get the Zawadzki overpromotion, she is a hot n cold skater
    as usually does terrible LPs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Zawadzki is not much faster than C. Zhang and not any more consistent than Nagasu. Why does USFSA love her so much? There is nothing about her that stands out? It isn't like she is cracking out 3lz-3ts either. Is it because she is blonde?
    I have noticed this for 2 seasons now with Zawadzki being overpromoted
    really ? she is unreliable and is prone to LP meltdowns her worst case she can score in 120-130+ overall in an international scorings

Custom Title
    I dont know why everyone is hating on agnes. The reason she is in second is because her two successful jumps were textbook perfection.Yes she had a fall, but it was on a very minor element that doesn't cost huge points. I dont think there has been any overpromotion. Yes she can be inconsistent but besides the 2A every other element was perfection and her marks showed it.

I thought mirai was great, she was really fast and attacked all her elements. On a bad note, she was a little iffy on some of her spins which would usually rack up big points which didnt today. Also with her music choice, she didnt have a suiting personality. It was almost like she was just focusing on the jumps and nothing for performance. Yes she skated great and she had a unlucky draw but her performance was not as good as agnes, therefore she had slightly lower components

Truthfully if anyone was overmarked it was Ashley. Her program was mediocre, boring and stiff. Her spins were bad and her jumps weren't so crash hot.

Caroline i believe had lower components than expected, even with her super slow skating. However i agree with the technical panel about the downgrades and under-rotations. When i look slow-motion i can see that she absolutely under-rotated and downgraded her 2 big jumping phases so her technical score reflected what i expected. But components were defs low. She should have scored maybe 28-29 for components instead of 26

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by draqq View Post
    Agreed. It's terrible that under-rotations are the worst mistake a skater can make. I'm fine with full downgrades for being a half-rotation short. But regular under-rotations should just be a -2 or -3 GOE without chopping the base value - otherwise, it's just double jeopardy.
    And don't forget how this fact has not only wrecked results, but also wrecked skaters' bodies and careers.

Custom Title
    Gracie has been working with a sports psychologist since her performance at Skate Canada.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    I dont know why everyone is hating on agnes. The reason she is in second is because her two successful jumps were textbook perfection.Yes she had a fall, but it was on a very minor element that doesn't cost huge points. I dont think there has been any overpromotion. Yes she can be inconsistent but besides the 2A every other element was perfection and her marks showed it.

I thought mirai was great, she was really fast and attacked all her elements. On a bad note, she was a little iffy on some of her spins which would usually rack up big points which didnt today. Also with her music choice, she didnt have a suiting personality. It was almost like she was just focusing on the jumps and nothing for performance. Yes she skated great and she had a unlucky draw but her performance was not as good as agnes, therefore she had slightly lower components

Truthfully if anyone was overmarked it was Ashley. Her program was mediocre, boring and stiff. Her spins were bad and her jumps weren't so crash hot.

Caroline i believe had lower components than expected, even with her super slow skating. However i agree with the technical panel about the downgrades and under-rotations. When i look slow-motion i can see that she absolutely under-rotated and downgraded her 2 big jumping phases so her technical score reflected what i expected. But components were defs low. She should have scored maybe 28-29 for components instead of 26
    I agree. Agnes's jumps were huge and perfection. Just WOW. She landed the most difficult jump and combination which Ashley even didn't attempt. She executed other elements well, so deserves to be the second place, IMO.
    Mirai was enjoyable to watch! I think this program suits her well.
    Ashley was impressive. What a competitor! All the jumps were solid, but she needs to work on footwork though.
    Poor Caroline. She did her best, but her jumps looked definitely underrotated and she was slow as usual. PCS was lower than I expected, but I wasn't that surprised by her score.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Gracie has been working with a sports psychologist since her performance at Skate Canada.
    It didn't work well yesterday. She looked super nervous from the beginning to the end. She has a lot of potential, but needs many experiences to be great. I wonder why she doesn't attempt 3Lz-3T in the SP. She gets an "e" on 3F, and it's an inconsistent jump for her. Her 3Lz is much better and consistent.

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast