ALEXEI the cover-story of fitness magazine | Golden Skate

ALEXEI the cover-story of fitness magazine

mismini

Spectator
ooh! shirtless!

Thanks for the link to these pictures! It's been so long since we've had a new shirtless photo. It's nice to see Alexei getting the *exposure* he deserves. He is a champion hottie, isn't he?

Kasey

Medalist
Whoo hoo, Sexy Alexei indeed! Although I like the second pic better. Too bad the article seems a little behind, since the next Olympics are not going to be a possibility for him...

Kasey

WhiteNights

Rinkside
Olympics and Alexei

But he will be making at appearance at the next Olympics - but as Joubert's coach, just not as competitor. I'm just happy he'll be there in any capacity!!!!!!:)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Again a Yagudin promotion article by Kathleen Bangs..., LOL. Has she been hired by him, I wonder?

Anyway, the writer does not seem to be very accurate as she mentions: "With a third Olympic appearance at the 2006 Winter Games not out of the question". Surely that is not supposed to mean that Yagudin will be there as a coach or sitting in the audience?

>Although only 23 years old, Alexei Yagudin dominates figure skating as the reigning Olympic Champion, four-time World Champion, three-time European Champion and the only skater to ever obtain the Triple Crown-an unprecedented win of all major titles in a single season.>

Yes, all those titles are true (congratulations to him!!!), but I would not say that Yagudin is dominating figure skating these days. Besides also (maybe some others too) Dick Button and John Curry have won the Triple Crown, and they also won their own Nationals, I think?

Marjaana

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw those pictures earlier this morning. What a way to wake up. ;) ;) I also had the opportunity to see him as Joubert's coach. It was funny to watch him on the sidelines. You could see the care and concern on his face and the funniest was to see him when Joubert would jump. He would move his body as if jumping himself.

Dee

berthes ghost

Final Flight
the only skater to ever obtain the Triple Crown-an unprecedented win of all major titles in a single season

What the heck is she talking about?

Other skater to win Euros, Olys and worlds in the same year include: Karl Schafer (1932 AND 1936 ), Dick Button (1948 ), Ondrej Nepal ( 1972 ), an John Curry (1976 ) and that just the men! I'm sure that there were ladies, pairs and dance too. Take into consideration that Euros were closed to non europeans after 1948, and it really becomes trivialized as 5 of the remaining mens Oly champs were from the US.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Raised in Russia, an only child of a single parent, Yagudin's skating talent was his family's only hope to escape poverty and an uncertain future in the harsh former Soviet Union.
Excuse me while I catch my breath before I move to strangle the author of this... article. "Escape the poverty"??? I have NEVER heard of anything suggesting Yagudin was raised "in poverty". Unless, of course, the author is suggesting that all of us in the USSR were somehow impoverished, which is just not true. I am not saying he came from a wealthy family. As I understand it, his father abandoned the family when Alexei was 11; after that he lived with his mother and grandmother in a communal appartment (that's when two or more families share an appartment; I realize it sounds terrible, but it is NOT POVERTY. Believe me -- I am speaking from experience.). His mother worked as a computer programmer. As I recall, in the 80's a programmer's salary was approximately 160 rubles a month. Certainly, it is not much, especially for a single mother, but once again -- it's NOT POVERTY.

I realize "from rags to riches" sells better than anything else, but this just sickens me!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Yagudin

Actually, it includes the Grand Prix title - this is from Yagudin's official bio:

"IN the 1999-2000 season, Alexei became the first male skater ever to capture the Triple Crown, taking the European, Grand Prix and World titles all in one season. In the 2001-2002 season he became the only skater to win all of the major competitions in one season: Grand Prix, Europeans, Worlds, and the Olympics. He is also the only amateur skater to win the World Professional Championships".

In interviews Yagudin says he grew up in poverty.
Especially by American standards, he was quite poor.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Actually, it includes the Grand Prix title

:laugh: That's too funny! The GPF only existed for 2 Olys!

Did you guys know that George Washington was the FIRST US president? That's a feat that no one has ever been able to beat! :laugh:

mismini

Spectator
berthes ghost said:
:laugh: That's too funny! The GPF only existed for 2 Olys!

Did you guys know that George Washington was the FIRST US president? That's a feat that no one has ever been able to beat! :laugh:

The article also mentions, "...Yagudin has broken the record books by earning more perfect scores than any other man in his sport," which is true.

Should we also negate this accomplishment because of the new code of points, where a "perfect score" is now impossible? Oh heck, while we're at it, lets take away Michelle's accomplishments too, those 35 6.0's don't mean anything anymore, right?

:rolleye:

All that Jazz

Rinkside
mismini said:
The article also mentions, "...Yagudin has broken the record books by earning more perfect scores than any other man in his sport," which is true.

Should we also negate this accomplishment because of the new code of points, where a "perfect score" is now impossible? Oh heck, while we're at it, lets take away Michelle's accomplishments too, those 35 6.0's don't mean anything anymore, right?

:rolleye:
In fact it's Plushenko who's the single skater with the most 6.0s so far. Not even including Nationals and Fluff comps he got 29 of them. Michelle Kwan instead got most of her 6.0s at Fluff comps and national championships, latter marks are usually biased and tremendously inflated, in ANY country, that's why they don't count in international comparison. At international competitions she got only eight 6.0s so far.

Yagudin achieved 19 Sixes during his career, but among them probably the most "memorable" one's, because he got them at major comps like Worlds and Olympics.

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Yagudin did break records "earning more perfect scores than any other man in his sport,".

Perhaps not overall but he's the male skater who received more 6.0 in Olympics and broke records in the SP in Worlds 2002 (where he got six 6.0).

mismini

Spectator
LET ME CLARIFY...

Yagudin has the most 6.0's for any male singles skater at the Olympics. And well deserved for a brilliant performance. His 6.0's at Worlds were equally memorable, you are correct. My apologies for not being specific enough.

But thanks for making my point by discounting Michelle's considerable accomplishments. You can't please all the people all the time, I guess.

dfj

On the Ice
All that Jazz said:
In fact it's Plushenko who's the single skater with the most 6.0s so far. Not even including Nationals and Fluff comps he got 29 of them.

Since 1998 and including all of his competitions, he has 54 6.0s.