Polina Edmunds has ambitious SP | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds has ambitious SP

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina Edmunds is ambitious. You could see it in her eyes the moment she took to the ice for her short program in the junior ladies competition at the 2013 Prudential U.S. National Figure Skating Championships.

Of all the US Junior Ladies, she is the only one that landed a triple Lutz-triple toe.

#ExecutedBaseGOE J1 J2 J3 J4 J5 J6 J7 J8 J9
ElementsValue
13Lz+3T10.10.7 1 1 -1 1 1 1 2 1 1
23F<<3.7-0.6 1 0 -2 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 -3
3FCSp43.21 3 2 2 2 1 2 1 3 2
42A3.63x0.57 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 2
5CCoSp43.50.64 2 0 1 1 1 1 1 2 2
6StSq33.30.71 2 1 1 2 2 2 1 1 1
7LSp42.70.93 2 1 0 2 2 2 2 2 2

mskater93

Record Breaker
Barbie Long also has a 3Lz+3T, unfortunately, she had issues on the landing of the Lutz and could only add on a 2T at Nationals...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would hope that Polina scales back her LP a bit because if she skates clean at the very least she win medal and perhaps win. I'd hate to see her bomb and find herself off the podium because she was over ambitious.

mskater93

Record Breaker
There was a clear line between the top 4 and the rest of the skaters at this event - at least in the SP. She probably has a 2 fall margin of error to stay in the top 3

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would hope that Polina scales back her LP a bit because if she skates clean at the very least she win medal and perhaps win. I'd hate to see her bomb and find herself off the podium because she was over ambitious.

Well she skates before any of the other medal contenders so she at least won't have to deal with the aftermath of having to follow someone who really hit it out of the park (even if someone in the first group were to do that, she's first in the second group right after warmup) and knowing she needs to be perfect. It seems to me that she goes for the two 3-3s if the first jumps of those planned combos are secure enough, and if she is capable of doing 3lz-3t and 3f-3t which she has shown this season she is, she may as well go for it. Even with one jump marked <, it's still worth a ton of points and more than a 3-2! I admire her ambition and her early draw is an advantage in terms of piling on the pressure. I mean there's always the pressure you put on yourself and nerves, but I always feel bad for the skaters who have to follow a standing O lights-out performance just because I imagine that's really tough and there's no way to prepare yourself for it. I'm really pulling for Polina and hope she skates well tonight. I really like the top 4 so if the podium ends up being those 4, in whatever order, I will be very happy!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina went for the two 3/3s, but unfortunately one 3t was UR and the other was <<.

Happily, she won anyway with 101.63 in the FS.

Mariah Bell and Barbie Long skated back-to-back West Side Story free skates.
Barbie Long did a 2a+3t but didn't go for the 3z+3t combo; she scored just 0.15 less than Polina in the FS but won bronze overall.
Mariah didn't try any 3/3s but she beat Barbie by nearly 5 points on PCS and with her 5.58 SP edge, that was enough for silver.

Karen Chen tried 3z+3lo, but it was scored as 3z<+3lo<<, and all her triples were UR or << as well. She was 4th overall.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
worth noting Karen really likes to attemps 3-3 loops in novice she has done 3lo-3lo
and in juniors she attempted 3lz-3lo and 2A-3lo

gmyers

Record Breaker
Bring on the American Polina!! Wouldn't it be something if American and Russian jr champs had the same first name? Hopefully some of the Russian polina's recover to some of their former glory and the world will have a battle of polina's from around the world.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Bring on the American Polina!! Wouldn't it be something if American and Russian jr champs had the same first name? Hopefully some of the Russian polina's recover to some of their former glory and the world will have a battle of polina's from around the world.

Polina Edmunds is going to junior Worlds ?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
worth noting Karen really likes to attemps 3-3 loops in novice she has done 3lo-3lo
and in juniors she attempted 3lz-3lo and 2A-3lo

Just curious just how many did she get them rectified. I must admit I only saw her Novice Championship videos and I just fell in love with her FS :) The most talented 12 years old if I ever saw one. I didn't know about the hip injury, which is the sad part of this beautiful sport. Really want to check out the other girls now.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Is it seriously that ambitious to challenge 3Lu-3T with underrotated 3F in Junior Ladies? Really?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Mariah gets a 3-3 soon. She takes command of the ice the moment she starts skating like very few US girls right now Junior or Senior. Hard to believe she's the tiny tot i first saw as a Novice two years ago at Nationals. She's all grown up not just physically but in her skating.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Depends on what happens in Senior Ladies, but usually the Junior National Champion goes with two Senior (National) level skaters to JWs, so probably.

ok, so it Polina E., Hannah , Hicks and Wang should be in the mix for junior worlds

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's ambitious to try ANY 3/3 in front of the USFS tech panels. They've been URing and <<ing 80-90% of ladies' attempts at both Junior and Senior levels.