Men - Short Program
Men - Free Skating

Ladies - Short Program
Ladies - Free Skating

Pairs - Short Program
Pairs - Free Skating

Ice Dance - Short Dance
Ice Dance - Free Dance

I hope you enjoy reading them. Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are very welcome. :)

I am not sure I'll have the time to cover all of the events but I will try.
ETA: I've managed to do them all. YAY, so chuffed!

Disclaimer:

Yep, I know I am very nitpicky (on triple twists in particular where the judges seem to be blind to numerous errors that usually happen :p). ;)

The GOE values listed next to the elements are the ones, I'd give if I was a judge. PCS would be even more fun to do but just no time to think about them given I have to type everything up.

The reports are based on a tv broadcast so certain things (like ice coverage, for example) I don't get as good a sense of as somebody watching live.

All I can think about now, I think. If in doubt, just ask. :)

Last edited:
2013 European Figure Skating Championships
Ice Dance – Short Dance

Detailed Classification
Judges Scores
http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2013/ec2013_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

Overall, it was a great event. Ice Dance has never been stronger. Even the lower placed teams delivered very decent performances and it made me wish that 24 teams would qualify to the final, just like in singles. Outstanding performances from most of the top teams. A special mention has to go to Agafonova/Ucar who delivered a fantastic performance far exceeding anybody's expectations, including their own judging from their reaction to the marks.

On another note, with few exceptions I've generally agreed with the judges (I'd have Zvorigina/Bernadowski qualify instead of Elsener/Roost and would place Shtork/Rand and Coomes/Buckland a couple places lower but that's pretty much it). This has never ever happened before and it is a very surprising turn of affairs. ;)

1. Ramona Elsener / Florian Roost /SUI/
Polka: Pie in the Face Polka by Henry Mancini
Waltz: Carnival de Venise Medley

waltz jump to twizzles: arm folded in front and catch into clockwise arms folded – slow and a little choppy [-1]
yankee polka – tentative, edges not held long [-1]
yankee polka – a little better but they lack flow [-1]
not touching circular step sequence – edges not very deep, they could use more speed [-1]
rotational lift: horizontal in catchfoot – positions could be better extended [0]

They seemed a little tentative throughout and didn't project very well. You just wanted them to push a little bit more. Basic skating weak for a dance team. Generic choreography. The waltz and polka parts seemed like two seperate programs.

2. Zsuzsanna Nagy / Mate Fejes /HUN/
Waltz
Polka

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms behind(his travelled a little and was a bit tentative) into arm above [0]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position [0]
not touching circular step sequence – quite good flow and quite deep edges throughout [1]
yankee polka [0]
yankee polka [0]

Their skating skills look improved. They got quite good glide and flow throughout and their edges were reasonably deep. Again, the waltz and polka parts looked like two different programs, however. They intepreted the waltz part quite well, capturing the mood of the music with their sweeping movements. The polka didn't work so well. A question about the timing on that part.

3. Sarah Coward / Georgi Kenchadze /BUL/
Waltz: Tennessee Waltz performed by The Dying Kicks
Polka: John Ryan's Polka (from "Titanic" soundtrack) by James Horner

not touching midline step sequence [0]
twizzles: arm above and catch(slow) into arms folded in front clockwise(he struggled and barely kept his balance) [-2]
yankee polka – he pretty much walked through it [-2]
yankee polka – again, shallow edges and poor control from him [-2]
one arm rotational lift – slow, positions not extended well [-1]

You could see he is very new to ice dancing. His movements were really awkward, posture and lines were poor and he struggled on most of the footwork. She is clearly a much stronger partner than him at this point. It looked a little like something out of a 'dancing on ice' tv show. The program did have a concept at least and the “hoedown” theme made the two parts work together as a whole.

4. Lesia Valadzenkava / Vitali Vakunov /BLR/
Waltz by Johann Strauss
Polka by Johann Strauss

circular not touching step sequence – weak, tentative footwork from him, he skated almost on flats, she had much better edges and flow [-1]
straight line lift: her standing on his boot in catchfoot – slow, positions could be better extended [-1]
yankee polka – foot placement not very precise, it looked a little chaotic [-1]
yankee polka – a little slow [-1]
twizzles: arm above and catch (a little off-synch) into clockwise arms behind into arms folded in front (him) and arms folded on hips (her) – really weird to see their positions not matched at all on the last twizzle [-1]

They didn't have a lot of speed. She is the stronger partner. His movements were quite stiff and he wasn't extending them. The waltz and polka parts had music that was very similar in nature and worked together very well. They did manage to capture the mood of the music reasonably well (she was selling it much better than him, though).

5. Federica Testa / Lukas Csolley /SVK/
March: Radetzky March by Johann Strauss
Waltz: Die schöne Galathee by Franz von Suppe
Polka by Johann Strauss

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arm above(he totally lost balance at the start and stepped out after one or two revs) into arms above [-2]
midline not touching step sequence [0]
yankee polka – nice lines and extensions, good tempo [1]
yankee polka [0]
catchfoot rotational lift – a little slow but nice position from her [0]

Decent speed, big movements with decent lines and extensions. Very good attack, they sold the program extremely well. They captured the character of the music quite well and the three pieces of music were similar in style and worked as a whole. Shame about the big mistake on the twizzles because other than that, this was overall the highest quality of skating presented so far.

6. Allison Reed / Vasili Rogov /ISR/
Waltz: Claudia's Waltz by The Dreadoughts
Polka: A Rambler's Life by The Dreadnoughts

They have withdrawn due to medical reasons.

7. Kira Geil / Tobias Eisenbauer /AUT/
Waltz: Heidi halt mi by Hubert von Goisern
Polka: Brenna tuats guat by Hubert von Goisern

midline not touching step sequence – quite slow, not much flow [-1]
yankee polka – music nicely expressed with their whole bodies, good tempo, edges could be deeper though [0]
yankee polka [0]
difficult entry to one foot straight line lift – changes of position were quite effortless but he wobbled slightly (always very hard to keep balance in those kind of lifts) [0]
waltz jump to twizzles: arm above and catch(off-synch) into clockwise arms above(she struggled and eventually put foot down) into arms on hips(exit off-synch) [-2]

A folky “Octorberfest”-esque dance. Their basic skating isn't very strong but the've shown fun choreography, very much in-character of the music and used their whole bodies to express it.

8. Olesia Karmi / Max Lindholm /FIN/
Polka: Säkkijärven Polka
Waltz: Kesäillan Valssi

yankee polka – good speed, quite precise foot placement, edges a little shallow though [0]
yankee polka – they lost speed and momentum a little bit [-1]
twizzles: arm above and catch into arm above clockwise(a little off-synch) into arms above(they got really close to the boards and she almost ran into them coming out) – decent rotation speed [0]
one arm rotational lift going to one foot – nice rotation speed increase towards the end [1]

Another folk program. It started well with good speed and character but then drifted away slightly and it looked like the choreographer has run out of ideas or they've run out of steam (or both). Still, their movement did relate to the music quite well and it was another program which worked quite well as a whole and had a clear concept.

Margaglio finally got rid of the fugly ponytail and it was the first time he looked decent. Quite dashing in a sharp suit. Good motivational speech by him in the k&c: 'You have done your best. I cannot ask for anything more. This is your first European Championships' He has done a good job developing Finnish ice dancing, hopefully there will be younger teams coming up soon as well.

9. Angelina Telegina / Otar Japaridze /GEO/
Polka: Schei-we-dei-wi-du by Die Mayrhofner

twizzles: arm above and catch(off-synch) into clockwise arms on hips – decent rotation speed but a little messy [-1]
yankee polka – decent glide, quite long sweeping edges [0]
yankee polka – lost speed slightly [0]
rotational catchfoot lift [0]

Another “Oktoberfest” hoedown. They were trying really hard with the OTT facial expressions and the whole shebang but for me it just didn't work and screamed trying too hard. Whilst the miming was Lv5, they could use a little more speed and attack. There was this weird dissociation between how OTT their facial expression was in comparison to the slightly more muted movement. And whilst it was meant to be a fun, folky program, to me it looked like a bad parody. I just don't think that they really felt and connected with the music. But maybe that's just me.

Anyways, enough about miming. :p Their skating ability is decent and she's a stronger partner than Allison Reed. It's very early days for them but I think that the potential is there.

10. Lucie Mysliveckova / Neil Brown /CZE/
Polka: Charlie Chaplin (soundtrack)
Waltz: The Artist (soundtrack) by Ludovic Bource
March: Kid (Charlie Chaplin soundtrack)

yankee polka – good speed, quite deep edges [1]
yankee polka [0]
twizzles: arm above and catch(she lost balance and fought hard to stay on one foot) to arms above to clockwise arm above – quite fast and well synchronised [0]
rotational lift with her between his legs in layback with catch – very nicely extended position, decent rotation speed [1]
midline not touching step sequence – could use a little more speed and flow [0]

A very nicely choreographed program. Their movement was nuanced throughout and reflected the character of the music very well. They sold the program well.

Other than for the slight mishap at the start of the twizzles, the elements were performed quite well (although I can't speak about the levels). Even on the twizzles, the second and first twizzle were very sharp so fortunately they managed to recover after the initial error.

Best overall quality of skating so far and deservedly in the lead.

11. Alexandra Zvorigina / Maciej Bernadowski /POL/
Polka: Gaite Parisienne by Jacques Offenbach
Waltz: Emperor Waltz (Kaiserwalzer) by Johann Strauss

yankee polka – decent edges and speed [0]
yankee polka – maintained the momentum, decent tempo [0]
twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded(he struggled to keep his balance) – first set was good but he lost balance and barely kept free foot off at the end of the second [-1]
not touching circular step sequence [0]
one arm rotational lift going to one foot – quite good rotation speed [1]

This was surprisingly decent, given their modest competition results so far. They showed a lot of expression throughout and sold the program very well. Nice lines and extensions from her. Quite a lot of improvement since last year.

Having said that, her basics are much better than his. His posture and lines were quite poor and there was quite a big contrast between them in this regard.

At the end of the event, it turned out that they've missed qualifying to the free dance by 0.04 points. They must be bitterly disappointed. :(

12. Charlotte Aiken / Josh Whidborne /GBR/
Polka: Devil Went Down to Georgia

not touching circular step sequence – quite nice speed and flow [1]
straight line lift with him sitting low and her standing on his boot in a split – very well extended positions [1]
twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms on hips(a little weak from him) into moving arms – decent rotation speed [1]
yankee polka – they seemed to be behind the music slightly, edges a little shallow [-1]
yankee polka – likewise [-1]

Great attack and character throughout. Sharp movements, a fun program, presented well from start to finish.

They are not the strongest skaters in terms of basic skating and it really showed on the yankee polka which was clearly the weakest part of the program. But their performance ability and decent choreography hid their flaws well. The program was quite open however. It was mostly skated apart or in open holds.

13. Alisa Agafonova / Alper Ucar /TUR/
Polka: Fairytale by Alexander Rybak

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded in front – quite fast, secure and very well synchronised [1]
yankee polka – decent speed but edges a little shallow [0]
yankee polka [0]
midline not touching step sequence – well synchronised, sharp [1]
sit straight line lift with him sitting very low and her laying back in a split – great positions, secure [1]
impressive hydroblade move towards the end

Wow. I don't think anybody has expected them to skate anywhere near this well. All elements were solid and they skated with ease, great unison and near perfect synchronisation throughout. It all looked simply effortless.

The choreography was a little generic and they could have shown a little more attack (although that would probably come at the expense of control). Still, it was a very strong performance.

Hats off to Zhulin and the whole team, their improvement is simply remarkable.

14. Siobhan Heekin-Canedy / Dmitri Dun /UKR/
Waltz: Marguerite Watlz by Charles Gounod
Polka: Irish Party in Third Class (John Ryan's Polka)

not touching circular step sequence [0]
twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arm above(off-synch) into clockwise arm above [0]
yankee polka – neat and precise foot placement [1]
yankee polka – likewise, it was all very tidy (although the edges could have been deeper) [1]
rotational lift with her in a split – solid and rotated quite fast [1]

Same as usual from them. Solid technically (altough not outstanding), quite neat and composed movement but they just fail to excite. Choreography was quite generic and the two different rhythms didn't blend together very well. Expression was a little lacking (especially on his part).

Interestingly, Dmitri Dun used to skate with Alisa Agafonova at the international Junior level (representing Ukraine which both of them come from).

15. Tanja Kolbe / Stefano Caruso /GER/
Waltz: La Foule by Edith Piaf
Polka: French Can Can (from Gaite Parisienne) by Jacques Offenbach

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms on hips into arms above – quite fast and well synchronised [1]
not touching circular step sequence – deep edges, good glide [1]
rotational lift with her in a split – solid and quite good rotation speed [1]
yankee polka – quite deep edges, decent flow [1]
yankee polka [0]

Another strong performance. They've shown quite deep edges and good flow throughout. Probably best basic skating so far. They moved with ease (both in terms of their skating anad their relaxed upper body movement). Solid elements as well.

16. Sara Hurtado / Adria Diaz /ESP/
Waltz: Jane's Waltz
Polka: Modern Times

she fell on her knee as they were skating in a closed hold at the start
not touching circular step sequence – decent speed and flow, quite well synchronised [1]
holding foot into twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms folded(she really struggled to keep her balance and rotated very slowly) into sit spin twizzles [-1]
yankee polka – edges a little shallow, foot placement a little messy [-1]
yankee polka – they just aren't getting enough glide or genereting enough speed from each push, their lack of basic technique is showing here [-1]
spread eagle curve lift with her in layback – could be a little sharper [0]

They've shown heaps of character and expression. Their performance ability is fantastic. But once again their lack of basic technique proved their achilles heel. A mistake on the twizzles (which happens quite often for them) but it was the yankee polka which exposed that they struggle to generate speed from steps and turns if no cross-overs or progressives are allowed, with their edges being quite shallow and scratchy

This team seems stuck in a rut, if not regressing, in terms of competition results but I do hope they continue working on their technique and turn the tide around in the end because they are fantastic performers. Always enjoyable to watch and showing plenty of character.

17. Penny Coomes / Nicholas Buckland /GBR/
Polka: Scalliwag by Galic Storm
Waltz
Polka: Rhythms of the Fall

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arms on hips into arms folded in front – first and second set were very fast but they were slightly off-synch on the first set, she rotated slowly on the third set [0]
yankee polka – no major issues but they were quite far apart [0]
yankee polka [0]
not touching circular step sequence – quite fast footwork, decent speed [1]
difficult entry into rotational lift with changes of position – secure with fast and effortless rotation and changes of position but it could have covered more ice [1]

Whenever I watch them, I have SLIVER's 'speed skaters on crack' comment in my head. ;) They are very fast and very expressive but I can't help but think 'this isn't ice dancing'. They skate quite far apart and whilst their routines are always entertaining, it looks more like show skating than sport. There's a lot of pizzaz and since she's so slightly built, he throws her around with ease but ice dancing is supposed to be (at least for me) about skating closely together, showing deep edges and mastery of the blade. And that's not something that you can really get from them. Just my two and a half cents.

Having said all that, it was a very sharp performance. They were fast, they showed tons of attack and there was absolutely no hesitation or holding back. They just tore through the program.

An as aside, I don't see how their (hideous) generic skating costumes – especially her mango and blue dress (who puts those two colours together...) - related to the music.

18. Pernelle Carron / Lloyd Jones /GBR/
Polka: Cotton Eyed Joe
Waltz: Tenessee Waltz

yankee polka [0]
yankee polka [0]
unexpected entry into twizzles: arm extended into clockwise arms behind into arms folded on chest [0]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position [0]
not touching midline step sequence [0]

Elements were ok. No major mistakes but nothing outstanding either.

The program was quite fun but it was something that would be much better suited to a novice team. Seeing two adults doing lasso movements and 'punching somebody in the face' was quite ridiculous. They skated mostly apart and it was another performance which looked much more like a show routine than a competitive program.

Still, given how dull their performances used to be in the past most of the time, at least they've shown some character here. They do seem stuck and not really going anywhere in terms of their competition results, though. I do think that she deserves a stronger partner but it's not like any are available. They are now in their third season together and I still get the impression he's being dragged around the ice and barely keeping up, 'dancing on ice' style.

19. Ekaterina Riazanova / Ilia Tkachenko /RUS/
My Fair Lady by Frederick Loewe

not touching circular step sequence – quite deep edges, big precise turns, flow could be a little bit better, though, some snow coming from under her blades [1]
waltz jump to twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise moving arms into arms on hips – quite fast [1]
yankee polka – good speed, decent edges, precise footwork [2]
yankee polka [1]
rotational lift with her in catchfoot – secure, decent rotation speed [1]

Elegant, big and sweeping movements, quite good flow. Slightly old fashioned choreography but in a good way. A vintage, sophisticated program which worked well for them.

They don't have the basic skating of some of the top teams but they did a very good job tonight.

20. Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov /RUS/
Andijan Polka

twizzles: arm bent in front of face and catch into clockwise arm above into arms above – fast and sharp [2]
not touching circular step sequence – good edges, decent flow [1]
yankee polka – close together, deep edges [2]
yankee polka – sharp [1]
difficult entry into catchfoot rotational lift – solid, good position from her, fast rotation speed [2]

Fantastic basic skating. The whole package: music, theme, choreography and even the costumes, made the program stand out from the crowd. They sold it well and the elements were very strong.

21. Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev /RUS/
Polka: Put in a Good Word for the Poor Hussar (soundtrack)
Waltz: The Crew (soundtrack)

yankee polka – fast, effortless [2]
yankee polka – likewise [2]
waltz jump to twizzles: arms folded in front(she lost balance at one moment but managed to get back into it and maintain her speed) into clockwise arm above – fast [1]
spread eagle straight line lift with changes of position [1]
midline not touching step sequence – deep, smooth edges, clean turns [2]

Fantastic speed and attack throughout. Rich and detailed choreography with constant upper body movement as well as transitions, with a substantial part of the program being skated in closed holds. And they sold it really well. Everything just looked effortless.

I loved how the twizzles were integrated with the yankee polka sequences, with transitions (in closed holds) in between and a very short entry, especially given most teams tend to telegraph them nowadays. The first twizzle could have gone really pear-shaped for her but she showed nerves of steel and quickly recovered the balance.

The make-over Zhulin has given them is quite remarkable. They look better, happier and carry it across in their skating. Kustarova and Alexeeva used to weigh them down with boring, unimaginative programs that clearly breached the uplifting rule. It's quite a turnaround. Zhulin is just an excellent polishing coach.

I am a little surprised the judges thought this was only 0.44 better than Ilinykh/Katsalapov (the base value of the top two teams was equal). I would have had this clearly in the lead.

22. Irina Shtork / Taavi Rand /EST/
Waltz: Old Country Waltz

twizzles: arm above and catch(quite fast but a little off-synch) into clockwise arms extended in front(not a lot of speed, hers not very secure) [0]
yankee polka – pattern seemed quite small, not getting a lot of speed off each push [-1]
yankee polka – edges a little shallow [0]
midline not touching step sequence – quite laboured footwork from her [-1]
catchfoot rotational lift [0]

Their basic skating is quite sub-standard for an ice dance couple and their ice coverage wasn't great. He still seems to be a much stronger partner.

They had fun music and choreography but they didn't play it out very well. The performance needed stronger expression and they seemed quite bored.

They seemed really out of place in this group and I think that skating so late helped them with the marks. I would have placed them a couple places lower (definitely behind Hurtado/Diaz).

23. Julia Zlobina / Alexei Sitnikov /AZE/
Waltz: Valse Violente performed by Caravan Palace
Polka: Dolly Song by Holly Dolly

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arm above [1]
midline not touching step sequence – decent flow, solid footwork [1]
yankee polka – good speed, edges could be more pronounced [1]
yankee polka [0]
catchfoot rotational lift [0]

A fun, quirky program sold very well. Tons of attack and expression from start to finish. But it was more than a show routine. They skated closely together, mostly in closed holds and the connecting footwork was quite detailed. And managed to maintain very good speed despite that. Quite strong on the elements as well.

24. Nelli Zhiganshina / Alexander Gazsi /GER/
March
Polka by Alfred Schnittke
Waltz: Admiral (soundtrack)

waltz jump to twizzles: catch(speed not bad but turns a little choppy) into clockwise arms above [0]
yankee polka – good speed, edges not bad [1]
yankee polka [1]
midline not touching step sequence – deep edges, decent flow [2]
difficult entry into sit straight line lift [1]

Very solid on the elements, quite strong basic skating and good expression throughout but the choreography fell short for me. If you took the OTT facial expressions away, it was basically a generic ballroom dance.

25. Anna Cappellini / Luca LaNotte /ITA/
Polka: Barn Dance (from "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" soundtrack)
Waltz: Bless Your Beautiful Hide and Wonderful, Wonderful Day (from "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" soundtrack)
Polka: Main Theme (from "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" soundtrack)

twizzles: arm bent in front and catch into clockwise arm above into moving arms – fast [1]
yankee polka [1]
yankee polka [0]
circular not touching step sequence [1]
rotational catchfoot lift – decent position and rotation speed [1]

A lot of character throughout, the different pieces of music worked very well together as a whole. There was a consistent theme, presented really well. Technically, however they weren't as strong as the Russian teams.

The main issue that has always held them back is still there. They skate on quite shallow edges and it really showed on the polka where they just wouldn't get as much glide from each push as other top teams which made the footwork look a little choppy.

Them being 4th on TES is right on the money, in my opinion. As far as PCS go, you could definitely argue for them getting 2nd highest (on everything other than SS anyways) but overall I believe that placing them behind both B/S and I/K was the right result. Overall those two teams just showed a higher standard of skating.

26. Charlene Guignard / Marco Fabbri /ITA/
Waltz: Buongiorno A Te performed by Luciano Pavarotti
Polka: Tritsch Tratsch Polka by Johann Strauss

twizzles: arm above and catch into clockwise arm folded in front into arms on hips – very fast [2]
not touching circular step sequence – good speed, decent edges [1]
catchfoot rotational lift – solid, good rotation speed [1]
yankee polka – good speed, decent edges [1]
yankee polka [1]

Very good speed and flow throughout, strong on all of the elements. In the past the lack of character and expression held them back slightly but this was a decently choreographed routine with a playful theme, which they've presented quite well. I would still like them to push a little more on the expression but technically they are very strong.

Their improvement over the last two seasons has been remarkable.

Last edited:
Pairs – Short Program

Detailed Classification
Judges Scores
http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2013/ec2013_Pairs_SP_Scores.pdf

It's a shame that only 15 teams took part but the level of skating was generally high and a number of teams have noticably improved since last season. European pair skating is in a decent place right now.

Again, the judges have mostly got this one right (I can't believe I am saying this ;)). Volosozhar/Trankov were outstanding and whilst Savchenko/Szolkowy skated well, they didn't skate to their full potential and their program looked like it has been cobbled together by Steuer in 15 minutes (it's still good but they deserve better).

1. Maria Paliakova / Nikita Bochkov /BLR/
Toccata
Salut D'Amour

2flip – high and quite solid but off-synch on the three-turns going in [0]
throw 3salchow – telegraphed, shaky landing with hand down, she was slightly off-axis in the air and didn't cover a lot of ice [-2]
Y spiral into bods – poor position [-1]
spirals into 3twist – not really much of a catch, she pretty much landed on her own, heavily two-footed landing from him [-3]
back spirals into hand-to-hand lift to change of position and reverse rotation to difficult dismount – they've really struggled and stopped for a moment changing position and rotation direction, two-footed [-2]
step sequence – quite weak, scratchy footwork [-1]
flying camel/sit/up holding foot/change sit holding foot(off-synch, weak positions) [-1]

They are a new team and you can see it's early days for them. They seemed really happy with their performance and skated well for their standard but the quality of the elements was poor. Not a lot of speed and their skating didn't really seem to have any relation to the music.

They were short of a small fraction of the point on the FS minimum score but fortunately ISU has decided to allow them to compete.

Nikita has pretty much his whole (slightly hairy) chest on show for us to admire. Quite a hunk so a PCS bonus is in order. ;)

2. Julia Lavrentieva / Yuri Rudyk /UKR/
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer

2 split twist – quite effortless [1]
throw 3salchow – solid with strong landing edge and a nice extension on the landing [1]
2flip – landing a little shaky for him but that's nitpicking [0]
hand-to-hand lift to one hand hold and dismount – solid with nice extensions from her but two-footed landing from him [0]
shoot-the-duck into bods – poor position, slow rotation [-2]
flying camel/sit/up var/change sit broken leg – decently synchronised but slow rotation and far apart [-1]
straight line step sequence – quite slow and laboured [-1]

A strong performance for their standard. Solid on all the big elements and the start, quite nice lines and extensions from her. They could have made better use of the music (which had a strong beat and accents) though.

A new personal best for them, by almost 2 points.

3. Stina Martini / Severin Kiefer /AUT/
Selection of Music by Parov Stelar

2twist – very poor height, two-footed from him [-1]
throw 3salchow – strongly pitched forward on the landing and put hand down, not a lot of height or distance [-2]
spiral to hand-to-hand lift to change of position and one hand to difficult dismount in spread eagle – laboured [-1]
2flip with hand above from him but not her [0]
flying camel/sit/up var/change butt out(not very well extended) – rotation quite slow, a little off-synch coming out [-1]
straight line step sequence – a little slow and laboured [-1]
Y spiral into bods – tentative entry, really weak position, barely made one revolution if that [-2]

Everything looked laboured. They seemed quite tentative and didn't sell the program very well.

A new personal best for them, by 0.15 points.

I have to say I am surprised that they keep on going. She's almost has high as him and neither she has a slight built, nor he is a muscly hunk. The odds are stacked against them.

4. Nicole Della Monica / Matteo Guarise /ITA/
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

3twist – decent height but late, weak catch, two-footed landing from him [-2]
3salchow [0]
throw 3salchow – landed with good flow and a nice extension but she went to deeply on the outside edge and unexpectedly fell [-2]
hand-to-hand lift to one hand to change of position – strong, decent extensions from her [1]
straight line step sequence [1]
Y spiral to bods – rotation speed and position not bad [0]
flying camel/sit/up var(he wobbled)/change sit/up L – their positions didn't match very well [-1]

A totally different standard of skating. Quite elegant, decent flow throughout.

He is just stunning. You can definitely tell he's a model.

5. Stacey Kemp / David King /GBR/
Doctor Zhivago (soundtrack) by Maurice Jarre

3twist – poor height, under-rotated, two-footed landing from him [-3]
2axels – take-off slightly off-synch, she landed forwards and stepped out with hand down [-3]
throw 3flip – high and solid [1]
bods with change of hold – could use a little more speed [0]
straight line step sequence – edges not very strong, quite slow [-1]
flying camel/sit/up/change sit broken leg – off-synch until the change of foot [-1]
spiral and spread eagle into hand-to-hand lift to change of position and one hand – quite strong [1]

They really lacked speed and attack (given this is their first performance this season, having been out with an injury, they probably still are far from being in top shape). Generic choreography.

This was probably the first time they've performed the throw3flip cleanly in competition (they stopped attempting it after switching to Siudeks).

6. Magdalena Klatka / Radoslaw Chruscinski /POL/
Chopin by Edvin Marton

2twist – not much height but solid [0]
throw 2loop [0]
2axel – messy landing from him (he made a mistake but didn't notice exactly what as I was looking at her) cheated over 1/2 revolution by her [-3]
sit(off-synch)/up Y/change sit to cannonball(he went into a different position than her and then almost stopped rotating and in the end just stood there barely moving, must have lost his balance) [-2]
hand-to-hand lift to one hand to change of position to one hand(slow) to difficult dismount [-1]
catch spiral to bods with change of hold – weak position from her, no arch of the back [-1]
straight line step sequence – a little slow, finished slightly behind the music [-1]

They lacked attack and expression. She in particular looked like she wanted to be anywhere else but on the ice.

Their first competition since 2012 Junior Worlds almost a year ago (I assume they were out with injury) and I don't see very much improvement, I'm afraid.

7. Elizaveta Makarova / Leri Kenchadze /BUL/
Tango Amore by Edvin Marton

2twist with arms above – decent height and catch but two-footed from him [0]
throw 3loop – painful fall [-3]
steps to 2loop with arms above [1]
hand-to-hand lift to change of rotation direction and change of position to difficult dismount – very laboured [-1]
Y spirals to bods – weak position [-1]
flying camel/sit/up/change sit/up butt out – off-synch at the start and coming out [-1]
straight line step sequence - slow [-1]

Elements were a struggle but the choreography was actually quite decent (or maybe it's almost a whole length or rink of steps into the solo jump that has left such a memorable impression) and she has a nice posture and lines.

They skated a clean performance at the Mentor Nestle Nesquick Cup in Poland very recently to finally earn their minimum scores and it's a shame they weren't able to replicate it here.

8. Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov /RUS/
The Blue Danube by Johann Strauss

dance lift to 3twist – crash and touch down with free foot on landing from her [-3]
3toe – he fell [-3]
spread eagle dance lift towards throw 3loop – scratchy landing and then a step out [-2]
bods – position not very good, she struggled on the exit and almost fell [-2]
flying camel/sit/up var/change up L – decent synchronisation but could use some more rotation speed [0]
spread eagle to hand-to-hand lift to one hand to change of position to one hand to difficult dismount – decent extension from her, quite strong [1]
straight line step sequence – a little tentative [0]

This is a well choreographed program with long, sweeping edges, good glide and elegant movements all of which capture the mood of the music very well. And after all these years, Kavaguti has finally improved her posture and lines and was pointing her toes and looked very neat throughout. The technical elements, however were a completely different story tonight.

9. Daria Popova / Bruno Massot /FRA/
La Belle Histoire (soundtrack) arranged by Gablé

3twist – high with decent catch but heavily two-footed by him, she slightly touched down with free foot on the landing as well [-1]
3toe – decent height, quite solid landings with decent flow, a little telegraphed though [1]
counterbalance dance lift to hand-to-hand lift to change of position and one hand to difficult dismount – quite strong, difficult positions from her in the air [1]
throw 3loop – telegraphed, step out with hand down, good height though [-3]
Y spiral (from him) into bods – position not great but edge and rotation speed decent [0]
straight line step sequence – a little tentative at the start but picked up later on [0]
flying camel/sit/up L/change sit holding foot(a little off-synch) [0]

Decent job on the elements but they lacked expression and didn't show much relation to the music.

Nathalie Pechalat was sitting in the K&C with them! Maybe she helped on the choreography. Or maybe I've gone mad and I'm seeing things? :p

10. Vanessa James / Morgan Cipres /FRA/
Rhumba d'Amour
Safri Duo

3twist – very bizarre, messy catch; it was overrotated by almost half a revolution and she flipped out [-3]
3toe – quite high with decent landings (although hers a tiny little bit scratchy) but quite far apart [1]
throw 3flip – good height, decent landing edge (although she wobbled very slightly on landing but that's the case with most thrown flips) [1]
Y spiral to bods with change of hold – position could be a little stronger, foot down coming out [-1]
straight line step sequence – one of those GOES ON FOREVER step sequences that have tons of footwork to try to make the levels but not a lot of speed and flow [0]
unexpected entry into hand-to-hand lift to change of position and one hand to difficult dismount [1]
flying camel/up camel var to up var/change sit broken leg(he travelled) [0]

Decent speed, postures and lines. Good attack, they presented the program well.

The two pieces of music don't seem to have much in common and I don't feel that they work together very well, though.

A new personal best by around 3.5 points. They've really come far as a team.

Nathalie Pechalat (unless I've gone mad) in the K&C again. Maybe she's the French team's team leader?

11. Mari Vartmann / Aaron Van Cleave /GER/
The Messiah Will Come Again by Gary Moore

2twist – high and quite effortless [1]
3toe – well synchronised and very solid [2]
hand-to-hand lift to one hand to difficult swung around dismount – strong at the start but a little hesitation going into the dismount, she possibly brushed with free foot on the landing as well [0]
transitions into throw 3salchow – solid with good flow out and a nice extension from her on the landing [2]
circular step sequence – decent speed and flow [1]
Y spiral into bods – a bizarrely twisted position that again left a lot to be desired, speed and edge seemed ok though [0]
flying camel/sit/up/change sit broken leg – decent synchronisation but rotation could be a little faster and positions better extended [0]

Quite good flow and speed throughout and their program was decently choreographed with a fair amount of transitions and they've manage to capture the mood of the music well.

A surprisingly strong performance, given they've been out with (his) injury for most of the season so far and their first performance (at NRW Trophy in December) was very disappointing.

On another note, he's so hunky, it's unreal. Lumberjack hotness.

12. Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy /GER/
Kismet by Bond

throw 3flip – incredible height and distance, solid landing (she could have better speed and flow coming out but given the monstrous height, it's understandable, you can't have everything) [2]
3toe – high, very solid and in perfect unison [2]
dance lift to 3twist – decent height, catch less crashy than usual [1]
Y spiral to bods with change of hold [1]
turns to flying sit(he travelled slightly)/up camel/up/change sit(a little off-synch) cannonball(a little off-synch)/up – good positions and rotation speed but little mistakes here and there [0]
circular step sequence – good flow, they could use a little more speed and attack [1]
counterbalance dance lift to hand-to-hand lift to change of position to one hand to difficult dismount – solid, they are capable of performing it even better though [1] (very difficult “charlotte” like position in the air from her)

This program is not very flashy but all their strengths were on show. Transitions in between the elements, most of which have quite short entries (and they never just telegraph stuff), very good speed and flow. Their basic skating, postures and lines are all very strong. Everything looks neat and is beautifully presented.

Technically, they are capable of better though. Whilst there were no major errors and the jumps were very strong, most of the other elements were not executed as well as they are capable of. And I do wish the program was more interesting or would try to tell a story. It's nowhere near the best work (like “Clowns”), sadly.

13. Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov /RUS/
Love Theme from "The Godfather" by Nino Rota

3twist – incredible height, strong catch [2]
transitions to 3salchow – both had very slightly skiddy landings (especially Maxim) but clean, difficult entry [1]
throw 3loop – very high, soft and solid landing with good flow out and a very good extension [3]
shoot-the-duck into bods with change of hold [1]
spread eagle to hand-to-hand lift to change of position to one hand – very solid, nice extensions from her [2]
straight line step sequence – good speed, flow and expression [2]
flying camel/sit holding foot/up/change camel/sit/up Y – very well extended positions, well synchronised (it could be a little bit faster) [2]

All the elements were very strong, their movement was precise and composed and the whole program was skated from start to finish with good flow and no hesitation whatsoever. It was an incredible performance.

There are very few times I found an element strong enough to give it a +3 but that throw loop was just perfect (and the twist was close to a +3 as well, IMO).

The overall impression, without getting mathy and looking at the levels in detail, is that Volosozhar/Trankov were much stronger than Savchenko/Szolkowy, as much as I hate to admit it.

14. Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov /RUS/
Interview with the Vampire (soundtrack) by Elliot Goldenthal

3twist – underrotated, crash [-3]
short entry into throw 3flip – step out [-2]
straight line step sequence – could use a little more speed [0]
unexpected entry into hand-to-hand lift to change of position to one hand – strong, decent extension from her [1]
3toe – he fell [-3]
spread eagle to shoot-the-duck to bods with change of hold – slow rotation, not a good position from her [-1]
flying camel/up L/change sit broken leg holding foot – decent rotation speed and synchroniation [1]

This is one of the better choreographed programs of the season. A very unusual and difficult element layout with solo jump coming late in the program and quite a lot of transitions. Unfortunately now that they have upgraded the throw from salchow to flip/lutz, it doesn't come as the last element anymore, nevertheless the program is still impressive.

I wish they'd have done more with the music, however, shown more expression and brought the theme out better.

It's extremely frustrating how when you look at their PCS breakdown, their judges did not reward the strengths of this program at all.

15. Stefania Berton / Ondrej Hotarek /ITA/
Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones

3toe – high and very solid with good flow out [2]
3twist – not a lot of height, slightly underrotated and two-footed (by him) [-2]
throw 3loop – very slight hesitation at first but then a soft landing with a nice extension [1]
hand-to-hand lift to one hand to change of position to change of position to one hand – strong, nice extensions from her [1]
straight line step sequence – very good flow, clean turns [2]
Y spiral to bods with change of hold – high position from her but quite good rotation speed and deep edge [1]
flying camel to up camel var/change sit holding foot to cannonball(a little off-synch at the start but quickly got it together) – good positions and rotation speed [1]

A beautiful, elegant and sophisticated program, presented really well with nice lines and good flow.

They've beaten their personal best by almost 4 points.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow, what a thorough report. You took great notes. Thanks for sharing!

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you, Ziggy! I hope you keep up the good work - soon the men - can''t wait! :)

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for a great read Ziggy. Look forward to the rest. :cool:

And much appreciated that you took the time and effort to share your impressions. :clap:

Men – Short Program

Detailed Classification
Judges Scores
http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2013/ec2013_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Another interesting and well skated event.

Excellent performances from the top three and a number of personal bests beaten. Majorov has finally held it all together to deliver the best skate of his career to date but the prize for the most incredible performance of the afternoon award has to go to Viktor Pfeifer who delivered a near perfect, beautifully presented and executed routine to place 10th. Harry Mattick who has made some costly errors and failed to qualify but who still gave an enjoyable, entertaining performance deserves a special mention.

Despite his age and multiple injuries Plushenko continued to be a formidable competitor but is his body finally saying 'No'? He was very lucky to end up skating in the final group (both Kovtun and Majorov should have easily beaten him, in my opinion) and given his chances of medalling are very slim and his chances of winning are pretty much zero at this point, I wonder whether he's going to withdraw now (ETA: shortly after I've posted this, he has anounced his withdrawal due to injury).

So after being positively surprised with the judging being relatively decent yesterday, we're back to the usual crap now.

Not a single judge noticed that Fernandez's combination spin was off-centred throughout or that Brezina had no steps preceding the quad (and he got five -2s for missing a combo which is an automatic -3). Only one judge gave -3 to Plushenko's 3lutz which was meant to be the combination and had no preceding footwork (and was barely landed on top of that). Yakov Godorozha received six -2s for a 3axel with a step out (-2 to -3) and a hand down (-1). Deductions are cumulative. I guess it's nitpicking on details but still.

Whilst judges would (correctly or incorrectly) penalise skaters for mistakes, they didn't seem to make use of the whole GOE in order to not only reward high quality but also penalise for low quality of execution.

And another thing is PCS. As usual, there was very little variation despite skaters having different strengths and weaknesses. And the marks seemed connected with both the jumps that a skater performed and his starting order, even though those are not the things that are included in the judging criteria, are they?

/rant over

1. Ali Demirboga /TUR/
Schindler's List (soundtrack) by John Williams

3lutz(hand down)/2toe – weird timing on the lutz take-off (it looked rushed) and he didn't get a lot of distance and was off-axis in the air as a result [-2]
3flip – fall [-3]
sit holding foot/change sit(off-centred)/jump to sit – positions not extended well [-2]
2axel – flow out could be a little better [0]
camel/intermediate camel var/sit/change sit broken leg/up var – again positions not extended very well and rotation a little slow [-1]
circular step sequence [0]
flying camel - very poor extension [-1]

His movement was quite awkward and he skated with rounded shoulders. His edges weren't that bad (quite deep actually) for a skater of his standard.

I'm sorry but Rana Belkis Gocmen doesn't seem to be able to teach her skaters good technique. All her skaters I can remember really struggle on the triple jumps. I think that if Turkish skating is to develop properly, the federation really should hire some outside coaches to train not only their skaters but more importantly the coaches.

2. Manol Atanassov /BUL/
Oblivion by Astor Piazzolla

3toe/3toe – nice and solid on the first one, the second (after a little hesitation) was a little tight on the landing and very slightly cheated [0]
camel coe/jump to change camel to catch [0]
camel/sit var/up/change sit broken leg/up butt out(poor extension) – rotation quite slow, weak camel position [-1]
3lutz – really fought for the landing, free foot almost touched but he managed to keep it off and stay upright [-1]
straight line step sequence – flow not bad, could use more speed though [0]
steps into 2axel – solid, connected directly to the straight line step sequence [1]
sit/jump to sit to side twist to var – rotation quite slow, positions could be better extended [-1]

He maintained quite decent flow throughout the program but the speed was lacking. His lines looked messy and could be better extended. Expression was lacking. A question mark over the choice of music, which was slow and constant throughout, lacking both rhythm and highlights.

I loved how he continued to perform footwork after completing his step sequence and then did 2axel right out of steps (having skated more than a whole length of rink of footwork!).

His improvement since last season (when he wasn't really able to land any jumps) is quite remarkable. He has improved his personal best by over 22 points!!! Moving to the US for better training conditions has definitely paid off.

3. Valtter Virtanen /FIN/
Ain't No Sunshine
Harlem Nocturne

3lutz – slightly over the toe on the landing, not a lot of flow out, long break after steps [-2]
3loop(step out)/2toe(won't count) [-3]
2axel [0]
scratch butterflies to flying camel to side twist to catch – a little slow, positions poorly extended [-1]
camel/sit/up var/change camel/sit leg behind/up [0]
straight line step sequence – edges very decent, speed and flow not bad [1]
sit to coe to forward tuck to var to side twist [0]

Choreography reflected the character of the music quite well but he lacked expression and skated with very stiff shoulders throughout.

4. Saulius Ambrulevicius /LTU/
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (soundtrack)

3loop/2toe [0]
3toe – overrotated heavily [-3]
camel/up L/change sit to forward tuck [0]
sit holding foot to broken leg/jump to sit to side twist [0]
2axel – landing a little insecure [0]
flying camel to catch(took him a while to grab the leg, poorly extended) – rotation a little slow [-1]
straight line step sequence - decent flow and expression [1]

Good expression throughout, he seemed to really pay attention presenting the program. Flow not bad. PCS in general not very bad for a skater with such a limited jump arsenal.

This was the best I've ever seen him skate. He's improved quite a lot. Not a bad performance for his standards (although obviously a shame about the toe-loop). A new personal best for him (by around 1.5 points).

5. Viktor Romanenkov /EST/
Tango Amore by Edvin Marton

3axel – long entry and slightly scratchy landing but landed it [-1]
3lutz/3toe [0]
flying camel to donut and upside twist to catch – weak positions, not a lot of speed [-1]
3flip – short break after steps, free leg touched down slightly on the landing [-2]
to sit cannonball/change sit/jump to sit to forward tuck – some of the positions a little weak, rotation quite slow by the end [-1]
straight line step sequence [0]
camel(poor position)/up(very off-centred)/change sit broken leg/up butt out – positions not extended very well, could use more speed [-2]

He was quite stiff, skated with rounded shoulders and lacked expression. His basics are quite weak for a skated with his jump arsenal.

The quality of execution of his elements wasn't good but good for him landing all his jumps. A new personal best for him (by almost 1.5 points).

Anna Levandi had a very nice makeover, her new haircut suits her really well.

6. Stephane Walker /SUI/
Melodia del Rio by Ruben Gonzalez
La Lluvia by Ruben Gonzalez

3axel – underrotated over a quarter, fall [-3]
3lutz/3toe – entry a little long but both jumps executed quite well [0]
scratch butterflies into flying camel to coe to donut – extension good but could use a little more speed [0]
3lip – landing not very strong, seemed that free foot touched slightly on the landing [-3]
back sit to leg behind/change sit cannonball to broken leg – decent positions and rotation speed [1]
camel to upward catch/sit tuck/change sit/jump to sit/upright [0]
circular step sequence – could use some more speed [0]

He could use a little more speed. The music really didn't work for him. It was Latin, it was playful but he didn't make good use of it, seemed quite withdrawn and didn't show a lot of expression and didn't make good use for it. He is quite elegant with a decent posture and lines and classical music or soundtracks (that he skated to during his last Euros outing) suit him much better.

7. Harry Mattick /GBR/
Latin Selection

2salchow/3toe [0]
scratch butterflies into flying camel – fell out, putting both hands down, right after landing (so the element will receive no value)
sit cannonball to broken leg/change sit to var – decent positions, very good rotation speed [2]
circular step sequence – decent speed, quite sharp footwork [1]
three-turns into 3loop [0]
2axel [0]
camel(extension not great)/up var/change sit(off-centred)/up butt out to up L – good rotation speed [0]

It's his first European Championships and it looks like the nerves got the best of him. A real shame because he showed very good expression throughout, his movement was quite detailed and composed and he's a very good spinner. The potential is definitely there.

Nice to see the judges reward him on the PCS somewhat, despite the technical score being so low, definitely well deserved.

8. Maciej Cieplucha /POL/
Blues

3lutz/3toe – neither jump (toe especially) had very good flow out [0]
2loop [-3]
footwork to flying camel to upside twist to catch(weak, slow and barely held) [-1]
footwork to spread eagle to 2axel [1]
sit holding foot/jump to change sit broken leg [0]
camel/sit/up L/change up cannonball/sit forward tuck/up [0]

A decently choreographed program with quite a lot transitions. His movement reflected the languid bluesy music well but he seemed very tense.

He looked really nervous at the start and you could anticipate mistakes would creep in.

Seeing him hold a plastic cup of water with his teeth in the kiss and cry (and speak – or rather mumble – to his coach while doing it ;)) was very amusing.

9. Paul Bonifacio Parkinson /ITA/
Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

4salchow – underrotated, two-footed, fall [-3]
2axel – meant to be a triple but opened up early, popped into a wild double, underrotated and fell [-3]
flying camel to donut to catch – quite good rotation speed [1]
1lutz [-3]
sit pancake/jump to sit to forward tuck – quite good rotation speed [1]
straight line step sequence – good speed and decent edges [1]
camel/jump to sit var/up var/change up Y(extension not great) – good rotation speed [1]

A total disaster on the jumps but his overall skating ability was clearly best so far. Very good speed throughout, quite clean edges and very strong spins. He was quite elegant as well (although his shoulders were rounded).

Looking through his past competition results, it seems that maintaining focus is a serious issue for him. I hope he is working with a sport psychologist because there's a lot of ability there and it would be a shame if it could never be realised to full potential. He has the goods and just needs to work on delivering them under pressure.

10. Yakov Godorozha /UKR/
Factor by Angelo Badalmento

3axel – step out with hand down [-3]
3lutz/3toe – not a lot of flow out off either jump [0]
3loop [0]
scratch butterflies into flying camel to catch to upward catch – slow [-1]
sit coe/change sit/jump to sit to var – slow [-1]
circular step sequence – could use more speed, edges a little scratchy [-1]
camel/sit/up cross-foot/change sit broken leg holding foot/up L – quite slow [-1]

He was really slow and lacked expression. Spins were slow as well. A decent job on the jumps but everything else needs work.

I'm surprised the judges gave him PCS in the 5s but I guess that's as a result of showing a good jump content.

A new personal best, by almost 5.50 points.

Marina Amirkhanova has also had an incredible makeover. Gone from terribly cut black hair to a blonde bob with a fringe. Definitely a much better look.

11. Javier Raya /ESP/
Como Siento Yo
Hip Hip Chin Chin

3axel – step out [-2]
3toe(poor flow out)/2toe(opened up early but managed to complete two revolutions just about) [-1]
camel to upside twist(good positions)/change camel catch [0]
3flip – step out [-2]
flying sit pancake to forward tuck [0]
circular step sequence – could use more attack [0]
camel coe/change L/jump to sit/up butt out to up [0]

Decent basic skating and a lot of upper body movement throughout but he lacked expression and seemed to be going through the motions (maybe he was nervous and tense as a result?).

12. Pavel Ignatenko /BLR/
Ragtime Vabanque

3axel – landed but not much flow out and a really telegraphed entry [-1]
3lutz/2toe – not a lot of flow out [0]
flying camel to coe to donut to upward catch – poor positions, slow [-1]
3lip – landing a little shaky, poor flow out [-2]
sit to side twist/change sit/jump to sit to side twist [0]
camel/sit holding foot/up butt out/change camel(weak)/sit forward tuck/up cross-foot – rotation a little slow [-1]

His basics aren't very strong. He skated with stiff shoulders and his movements were messy and unfinished. Edges were quite shallow and he needed a lot of pushes to generate speed.

Again, I feel that the PCS he's received were more related to the jumps that he landed than what he actually showed on the ice.

A new personal best for him by almost 3.50.

13. Pavel Kaska /CZE/
The Addams Family by M. Leontovich and Peter Wilhousky

3lutz/2toe [-1] - he rushed the lutz take-off and struggled to maintain his balance on the (scratchy) landing
three-turns into 3loop – solid, nice flow out [2]
2axel [0]
camel to catch/change camel to coe(slow) [0]
circular step sequence – good flow [1]
flying sit cannonball to forward tuck [0]
camel to catch/sit leg behind/camel(weak position)/sit broken leg/up – slow after change of foot [-1]

His basics are decent but he's capable of performing this program (that he's kept after last season) much better. Choreography isn't bad but he wasn't selling it at all and just seemed to be going through the motions.

14. Alexei Bychenko /ISR/
Party Sailor by Wilson Picket
John Rango by James Brown

3lutz/3toe – high and solid [1]
3flip – decent height, nice flow out [1]
flying sit/jump to sit side twist – totally off-centred [-2]
camel/sit/up/change camel(weak position)/sit broken leg/up – totally off-centred [-2]
2axel – difficult entry off transitions but over the toe on the landing, no flow out [0]
straight line step sequence – good energy, fast footwork [1]
turns into camel(extension not great)/jump to change camel to upside twist var(off-centred) [-1]

A lot of speed throughout and a fun, decently choreographed program featuring a fair amount of transitions. He blew all of his spins though (I wonder whether the judges will notice - ETA: checking the protocols after the event, they did notice :)).

15. Justus Strid /DEN/
Pinball Cha Cha by Senor Coconut

3axel – overrotated [-2]
3flip(high and solid)/2toe [1]
3lutz – take-off went all wrong, wild in the air, step out with hand down [-3]
camel coe/change camel to catch – extension not great, slow [-1]
straight line step sequence – sold it well, quite fast footwork [1]
flying sit/jump to sit to arms behind [0]
camel/sit broken leg/up butt out/change sit/up Y/up cross-foot – slow after change of foot [0]

He's a very voidy and entertaining performer but his posture is quite appalling (Hunchback of Notre-Dame) and his movements are really messy and unfinished. Choreography fell short for me and didn't bring his strengths out enough (not enough goofing around, basically ;)).

His super hunky brother has really let himself go, I hate to say.

16. Kim Lucine /MON/
Moanin' by Art Blakey

3flip/3toe [0]
2axel – decent height but could use some more flow out [0]
flying sit pancake/jump to sit forward tuck – well extended positions, decent rotation speed [1]
3lutz – landing a little weak [0]
camel upside twist/chagne camel to catch – quite slow, positions not great [-1]
straight line step sequence – good energy [1]
scratch butterflies to camel/sit leg behind to coe to var/up/change camel(slow)/sit/up cross-foot – very good rotation speed at the start but slow after change of foot [0]

Speaking of appalling postures, Lucine takes the crown. Decent choreography, great energy and a lot of expression throughout but his basics are weak.

He's improved his personal best by 3.26 points.

17. Evgeni Plushenko /RUS/
Storm by Yanni arranged by Edvin Marton

3lutz – over the toe, scratchy landing, no preceding steps (was meant to be the combo) [-3]
3axel – fall [-3]
3loop/3toe [1]
flying camel(fantastic extension) to catch(could use more speed) [1]
sit pancake/change sit broken leg to forward tuck(a little slow) – good positions and speed (until the last one) [1]
straight line step sequence – great attack but edges a little scratchy and the speed wasn't there [1]
camel(great extension) coe/sit var/up var/change camel/sit leg behind/up cross-foot – could use more speed [0]

The speed, the basic skating, posture and lines, immediately set him apart from the rest. But technically, he was very far from his best. Choreography was very generic. The program lacked transitions or any interesting highlights.

Given his age and his never-ending battle with injuries that just keep piling up, the Sochi gold seems more and more of a distant dream. He's an incredible performer that proved time and time again that he can deliver under pressure but his body can only take so much. It might be the time to bow out.

18. Viktor Pfeifer /AUT/
Moonlight Sonata by Ludwig van Beethoven

3salchow/3toe [2] – both jumps solid with good flow out (surprising given he was off-axis in the air on the toe but no problems with the landing whatsoever)
camel var/change camel coe – quite good rotation speed, decent extension [1]
circular step sequence – deep edges, good flow [2]
hydroblade towards 3lutz with arm above – solid [1]
2axel [0]
flying sit pancake to forward tuck [0]
camel/sit broken leg(great position)/up/change camel var/sit var(another original string position)/up holding foot(and another one) – good positions, rotation speed not bad [1]

Wow. The kind of performance that gives you chills.

Stunning posture and lines. All of his movements were beautifully extended and accentuated. The program flowed very well from start to finish and all of the technical elements were executed to a high standard.

He's beaten his personal best by almost 4 points.

19. Zoltan Kelemen /ROU/
Rich Man's Frug from "Sweet Charity" (musical soundtrack)

3axel – landing not very strong but clean [0]
3flip(slightly underrotated, no flow out)/3toe(cheated almost 1/2 revolution, step out) [-3]
3lutz – solid [1]
flying sit holding foot to broken leg to forward tuck [0]
camel/change camel(lost balance and had to abort the spin after changing foot – the element will receive no value)
straight line step sequence – decent speed [1]
camel(wobbly)/sit/up butt out to var/change camel/sit/up L – slow after the change of foot, off-centred throughout [-2]

His basic skating isn't bad but the choreography was lackluster. The program didn't have a lot of character and Zoltan's expression was lacking somewhat (as usual).

20. Javier Fernandez /ESP/
The Mask of Zorro (soundtrack) by James Horner

three-turns into 4salchow – clean and solid but landing a little bit scratchy (slightly over the toe) [0]
transitions to 3axel – solid [2]
flying upright cannonball to cross-foot – quite good rotation speed [1]
3lutz/2toe [0]
turns to back sit/jump to sit/change sit holding foot to broken leg [0]
circular step sequence – good flow, quite fast footwork [1]
camel coe/up var/change sit leg behind/up cross-foot – good positions and rotation speed but off-centred throughout [-1]

Quit elegant and composed movement throughout. Whilst elements seemed to flow together well and the layout didn't seem bad, the program wasn't very interesting or memorable. The choreography lacked highlights.

His edges are quite smooth but he needs a lot of cross-overs in order to generate speed.

He's improved his personal best by over 2.50 points.

21. Tomas Verner /CZE/
Dracula (soundtrack)

4toe – fall [-3]
3axel – slightly scratchy landing with poor flow out, entry quite long [-1]
flying sit cannonball(position could be better extended) to cross-foot [0]
2lutz/2toe [-3]
camel/jump to sit leg behind/another jump/change up var [0]
straight line step sequence – good edges and flow but could use more energy [1]
sit to side twist/change cannonball coe to forward tuck – decent rotation speed [1]

Verner's continued inability to deliver under pressure is extremely frustrating, given what he's capable of. Today not only the jumps didn't work but he also seemed to make no effort presenting the program, lacking expression and just going through the motions. A not like this trademark Nichol snoozefest is a good program to begin with (it's very generic).

He was light over the ice, as usual, but other than that this was a very disappointing performance.

22. Peter Liebers /GER/
Excerpts from "Alexander" (soundtrack) by Vangelis

4toe – underrotated around a quarter, fell out with hands down [-3]
3axel – telegraphed but very solid with a soft landing and good flow out [1]
sit to var/jump to change sit pancake – decent rotation speed [1]
2lutz – wild scratchy landing, had to put foot down [-3]
scratch butterflies to flying camel to coe donut to catch – slow [-1]
circular step sequence – two small stumbles [-1]
camel/jump to sit to forward tuck/up/change camel(slow)/sit var(off-centred)/up cross-foot [-1]

Liebers's basics aren't bad (his skating skills in particular are quite decent) and this program works quite well for him, reflecting the music decently and containing a few memorable highlights. I just wish he would push more on the expression and really sell his routines. He always seems quite distant.

23. Chafik Besseghier /FRA/
Piano in Concerto by Maksim Mrvica

3toe/3toe – high and solid [1] (was meant to be 4/3)
3axel – weak landing but hung on [-1]
steps to 3lutz – a very short break after steps, not a lot of flow out [-1]
flying camel to upside twist to upward catch – positions poorly extended, a little slow [-1]
circular step sequence [0]
camel/sit/up L/change sit forward tuck/up – not a lot of speed [0]
sit cannonball/change sit leg behind to jump to sit to side twist – quite slow [-1]

He's a very strong jumper but everything else is lacking, I'm afraid. He skated through the music most of the time, with rounded shoulders and the spins were weak.

She might not be competing but at least we can watch Pechalat in the K&C. :)

24. Alexander Majorov /SWE/
Ray's Blues by Dave Grusin

3lutz/3toe – high and quite solid but not a lot of flow out, a little hesitation between the two jumps [0]
3axel – high and solid, soft landing [2]
camel/sit broken leg/up butt out/change camel(extension not great)/jump to sit/up var [0]
3lip – soft landing, nice flow out but a slight change of edge [0]
scratch butterflies to flying camel coe to catch(a little slow) – his camel positions were not extended well [-1]
circular step sequence – quite fast footwork, sold quite well [1]
sit to side twist/jump to change sit to forward tuck [0]

He seemed to skate to the music most of the time but his posture and movements were quite messy. A very good job on the jumps. He gets quite impressive height on them.

He's improved his personal best by almost 6 points.

He still looks ridiculously out of shape for a competitive athlete. There's a lot of weight he could lose. Given the height he gets on his jumps, it's a lot of pressure to put on his joints.

25. Brian Joubert /FRA/
Genesis by Justice
Aerodynamic by Daft Punk

4toe/turn/3toe(solid) [-1] – good height and distance
3axel – not a lot of flow out [0]
flying up var to L to var – decent positions and rotation speed [1]
3lutz – high and solid, flow out could be a little better [1]
camel/sit pancake coe/jump to sit/up var to cross-foot – quite good rotation speed [1]
sit/jump to sit/change sit side twist to forward tuck(a little slow) [0]
circular step sequence – good expression, fast footwork, a little scratchy though and edges could be more pronounced [1]

Joubert is finally back in good shape. Strong basic skating, good speed and whilst the program was a little short on the transition front (as usual), it didn't lack character. Joubert was expressive and skated to the music well, managed to capture its mood with his movements and the choreography fitted his chosen tracks well also.

26. Michal Brezina /CZE/
In the Hall of a Mountain King by Edvard Grieg performed by Epica

4salchow – landing a little skiddy but he held it, no preceding footwork though (he does one turn, then there's a break and then comes the jump) [-2]
3flip(high but overrotated)/2toe(won't count) [-3]
3axel – high and solid [1]
camel to upside twist/change camel to catch – could use a little more speed but the positions were well extended [1]
flying sit to cannonball to forward tuck – could use some more speed [0]
straight line step sequence – quite deep edges, fast footwork, a lot of attack [2]
camel/jump to sit/up pancake/chagne camel/sit/up var – quite slow [-1]

His skating skills are good (quite deep and smooth edges) and he did seem to move in time with the music most of the time but the choreography was really basic. He skated around the rink into the first jump, the around into the second, around into the third, then did two spins, steps and another spin.

The spins didn't work very well for him today. The flip was overcooked. He got incredible height on it, making it hard to control.

27. Maxim Kovtun /RUS/
Lawrence of Arabia (soundtrack) by Maurice Jarre

4toe/3toe – solid [1]
2axel – it was meant to be a triple but he opened up early [0]
sit side twist/change sit forward tuck – decent positions, speed not bad [1]
scratch butterfly into flying camel to donut(slow) [-1]
3lutz – hand down [-1]
straight line step sequence – deep edges, fast footwork [1]
camel/sit var to coe(off-centred)/up butt out/change sit/jump to sit/up cross-foot [0]

There's clearly potential there. He seems to be a very strong jumper his posture is quite good, he has beautiful, elegant lines and he can be quite expressive. Choreography lacking however and the program didn't have any character.

28. Sergei Voronov /RUS/
Yablochko (Russian Sailor Dance) by Reinhold Gliere

4toe(solid)/3toe(weak landing with half a turn out and not a lot of flow out) [0]
3axel – landing not very strong, telegraphed [-1]
flying camel to donut [1]
circular step sequence – footwork quite fast but edges weren't well pronounced, energy was decent but his upper body movement seemed quite messy [0]
3loop – solid with good flow out but break after steps [0]
camel coe/sit/up butt out/change camel/sit/up L – decent rotation speed [1]
sit/jump to sit/change sit holding foot to forward tuck – good rotation speed, positions could be better extended though [1]

A decent job on the elements and his speed was quite good but the program seemed like an afterthought. Not much relation to the music and not much going on in between the elements. And his movement was quite messy.

29. Florent Amodio /FRA/
Memories of Sobral by Sebastien Damiani

4salchow – solid with good flow out [2]
3axel – clean but landing not very strong [0]
flying camel to upside twist to catch(extension could be better) – decent rotation speed [1]
circular step sequence – deep, smooth edges, fast footwork [2]
3lutz(solid)/3toe(not much flow out) [0]
sit/jump to sit/change sit cannonball to forward tuck – good rotation speed [1]
camel/sit var/up var to var/change camel/sit leg behind/up cross-foot – quite good positions and rotation speed [1]

Another performance where the elements were strong but the program seemed to be incidental. Not a lot of relation to the music and not much happening in between the elements. And again, the posing. Which is a shame because Amodio's basics are very strong. He has deep, smooth edges, quite a lot of speed and nice posture and lines. He can be very expressive as well. Unfortunately, Morozov keeps giving him terrible choreography. I guess you can't really blame him given the judges don't care. It means it's easier for him to land the jumps.

He has improved his personal best by almost 8 points.

It's weird how Pechalat/Bourzat had to leave Zhulin and some other international skaters had to stop training in Russia as well but Morozov is still allowed to train a skater who is a potential threat to Russian men.

30. Paolo Bacchini /ITA/
Music by Dmitri Shostakovich

1axel – popped, did less than one-and-a-half revolutions and fell [-3]
3lutz – painful fall [-3]
camel/sit/up var(a little weak)/change sit broken leg/up var – changed rotation centre quite considerably on change of foot [0]
3loop/2toe [0]
camel coe/change camel to catch – not a lot of speed [0]
flying sit/jump to sit to side twist(off-centred) to forward tuck(very weak and barely held) [-2]

His basic skating is quite good with fairly deep edges and decent speed and his movement reflected the music quite well. He seemed tense throughout, however.

Bacchini has often crumbled under pressure in the past and skating last after so many „big names” as well, seems to have been too much to handle.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your kind words, people. Men's SP report is posted now. :)

Great reports, Ziggy! Thanks!! Sounds like you should be a judge. :)

I would really love to. But I should have thought about it before pissing off pretty much every single important person in the Polish fed with rather outspoken and bitchy reports (I try to be a bit less agressive and a bit more constructive nowadays) and numerous criticisms. :p

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Great summary! Can I just say how much I like your nitpicking? That's a great thing I think because you only pick on things that are valid, and there is nothing wrong with that.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I would really love to. But I should have thought about it before pissing off pretty much every single important person in the Polish fed with rather outspoken and bitchy reports (I try to be a bit less agressive and a bit more constructive nowadays) and numerous criticisms. :p

Come back and be a Judge for us Ziggy! :cool:

Keep on hammering the Judges for blindly dishing out higher PCS scores depending on jumps landed.

You're a true Skating lover and longtime enthusiast, any Fed the world over should be grateful to have you. :)

Come back and be a Judge for us Ziggy! :cool:

Wouldn't work either. In order to be a judge in the UK, you have to be a former skater who landed at least 1axel and 2salchow.

Whilst I do a little adult skating every now and then, there's no way I'll ever get to this level. :p