Europeans Coverage by T. Flade | Golden Skate

Europeans Coverage by T. Flade

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks for a great SD article, with very interesting quotes from the skaters. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
What is so great about these articles, and what I love, is their thoroughness - and that we get quotes and news not only for the top three, as is usually the case. I'm looking forward to the men's article now especially...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Aliona Savchenko: “We did a mistake in our spin that never happens actually, but it did happen.”

:rofl: seriously? They nearly missed a world medal in France thanks to their spins not to mention their infamous 2011 European title where she completely missed a spin and just stayed there not knowing what to do for a while

senatormls

On the Ice
JAVI! JAVI!!! Yeah! A historisk first!!! What a great confidence boost! I wonder what his old coach (Amodio's) thinks of Javi now! Keep up the momentum for Worlds, Javi!

senatormls

On the Ice
I saw S/S from Germany live and while their technical components were good, the program lacked a 'program.' It was like they were going through the motions without much choreography.

I'm sooooo glad a young woman from Norway made it into the final!! In fact, there are 2 from Sweden ( sisters), one from Denmark and one from Finland! Go Norden!!!

TarAncalime

On the Ice
A great resumee of the Europeans:

http://soniabianchetti.com/writings_2013euro.html

"The 2013 European Championships
by Sonia Bianchetti
January 2013

The 2013 European Championships were held in the Dom Sportova in Zagreb, Croatia, from January 21 to 27. The arena was quite filled and the audience was very supportive and enthusiastic for the skaters.

I had a great time in Zagreb and, as an Italian, I am happy and proud for accomplishments of the Italian skaters.

Still, after sitting in the arena more or less 10 hours a day, I am fighting between two opposing feelings.

We practically witnessed two different events: one very exciting event among the four medal contenders in all categories, with some really outstanding programs, and another one that I would define as a second-class international competition among all the other competitors. The joy and the emotion that I experienced watching a few fantastic skaters is counterbalanced by the distress of seeing most of the skaters mess up their programs. The technical standard as well as the quality of the skating, especially in the ladies' and the pairs' events, was the lowest I can remember in the last decade, not to speak of the number of errors and falls that marred practically all the programs both in short and free. What concerns me is that these competitors are the national champions and represent the best skaters of their countries. What is happening to skating in Europe? Behind a few really marvellous athletes, there is emptiness. Perhaps the time has come for the ISU to sit around a table and try to understand the reasons for this. Are the programs too demanding? Or are the rules pushing the skaters to try elements beyond their capabilities just to get points?...."

[continues at the link]