Thread: Photojournalist Barry Mittan has passed

News Photojournalist Barry Mittan has passed

Barry Mittan passed away after a serious automobile accident that took place 22 Jan. He never regained consciousness, and was declared brain dead and removed from life support on 23 Jan. He died peacefully surrounded by family and friends.

Barry Mittan was one of the world's top photojournalists of figure skating for many years. He will be sorely missed.

Custom Title
    That's a terrible tragedy.

Oh no! My heart goes out to his family. He will be greatly missed.

Custom Title
    Sad news, I've seen his name a lot and his photographs were beautiful. But I'm not sure to know who he was, was he at canadians just last week-end? If so, I might know who he was, a guy who seemed to really enjoy skating and talked a lot to the skaters!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Barry Mittan contributed many fine articles to Golden Skate. I will always remember his work and his photographs fondly. What a tragedy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi View Post
    Sad news, I've seen his name a lot and his photographs were beautiful. But I'm not sure to know who he was, was he at canadians just last week-end? If so, I might know who he was, a guy who seemed to really enjoy skating and talked a lot to the skaters!
    oops, I think I mistaked him with David W Carmichael..

Very shocked to read this. He was definitely someone I looked up to as a photographer. He was very good to work with when I did skater websites, too. He had been encouraging me a lot lately on my sports photography. He will be missed. Praying for his family and friends during this time. :cry:

This is terrible news. He had so many gorgeous photos. My prayers and condolences to his family & friends.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    very sad. His photos were amazing!

Custom Title
    So sorry to hear of Barry's untimely passing. I knew him and his excellent skating photography over the past 15 years. He retired from skating photography a couple of years ago.