Injured Plushenko Pulls Out of Euros | Golden Skate

Injured Plushenko Pulls Out of Euros

Icey

Record Breaker
Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose. (Houseman, To an Athlete Dying Young)

I really think it would be best for Plush to end his quest. This pattern will probably repeat itself again and again.

I knew this was going to happen.

He was so far behind, medalling was extremely unlikely and winning was pretty much impossible.

I think it might be time for him to bow out. The injuries just keep piling up and his body can only take as much.

It's a shame that ISU doesn't have a fill-up rule and won't allow Paolo Bacchini to compete in the free skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose. (Houseman, To an Athlete Dying Young)

I really think it would be best for Plush to end his quest. This pattern will probably repeat itself again and again.

Over dramatize much?? "dying" "again and again" he may rethink going to Sochi but he is saying that is it. After that retirement. Next season would be really short - grueling and tough and maybe he won't make it to Sochi but he's said why not try. No one else has a shot to do much better!

wallylutz

Medalist

He was so far behind, medalling was extremely unlikely and winning was pretty much impossible.

I think it might be time for him to bow out. The injuries just keep piling up and his body can only take as much.

It's a shame that ISU doesn't have a fill-up rule and won't allow Paolo Bacchini to compete in the free skating.

So do you think he would have stayed in the competition then if he had landed his Triple Axel, therefore, presumably still within contention for the podium?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
That is to bad. I hope he takes some time to heal properly. Wishing him a quick recovery.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Ugh, Paolo can't compete? That sucks!!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Terrible news, but for the best. I would sooner see him skip everything but Nationals in the leadup to Sochi, if that's what it takes to keep his body together.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
a speedy recovery to Zhenya
hope he takes a full rest, 2014 year is the most important

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Plu had bad days in his career earlier too- in Budapest, then in Moscow. And now in Zagreb. Three bad days in the longest career which most of the current kids wouldn't even dare to dream of, not saying to achieve the same results. Moreover, when he had a bad day he went down in the chart. In other words he never won what he didn't deserve unlike those whose names shall not be named. Therefore all the assumptions that I read here have no merit.

As for his future I wouldn't be in a hurry to bury him alive.

Icey

Record Breaker
Over dramatize much?? "dying" "again and again" he may rethink going to Sochi but he is saying that is it. After that retirement. Next season would be really short - grueling and tough and maybe he won't make it to Sochi but he's said why not try. No one else has a shot to do much better!
I meant injury again and again that makes competing up to his standards impossible. You took things too literally. How many injuries has he had in the past year? Seems not too many months ago he was having the nerves in this back seared again. And now he is injured again. Since 2011 he has had four medical procedures on his knee/back.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
he could have pulled out earlier and let Menshov go
Its not like he is the prime of russian fs either. i like him much more than Voronov and Kobtun but Menshov could have beaten him in nationals, Plushenko earned his spot while he could have had a bye from RF. and it's not like Menshov didn't go because of Plush, he didn't go because of Kovtun.

Plu had bad days in his career earlier too- in Budapest, then in Moscow. And now in Zagreb. Three bad days in the longest career which most of the current kids wouldn't even dare to dream of, not saying to achieve the same results. Moreover, when he had a bad day he went down in the chart. In other words he never won what he didn't deserve unlike those whose names shall not be named. Therefore all the assumptions that I read here have no merit.

He wasn't 30 back then.

he could have pulled out earlier and let Menshov go

Yes. :(

But I think he believed he could still win.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But I think he believed he could still win.

Or that it wasn't as bad as everyone was making out. At least, that was likely his facade; I'm sure inside he knew was going to struggle bigtime.