2013 Europeans Pairs LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Europeans Pairs LP

And it's not just the program. Whilst in the SP, V/T were near perfect and everything was effortless, in the FS their elements were hard work throughout. No major errors outside the two throws but the elements were just not particularly high quality this time.

Either way, the germans just skated from element to element.

Pretty much every single element had connecting movements coming in and out.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
And it's not just the program. Whilst in the SP, V/T were near perfect and everything was effortless, in the FS their elements were hard work throughout. No major errors outside the two throws but the elements were just not particularly high quality this time.

Pretty much every single element had connecting movements coming in and out.

aaaaand?..I must love their fp because of that? I talk about emotions) Does it touch or not...So the germans are GREAT in terms of elements, but I didn't like it:scratch:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Neither top 2 pair skated perfect, but I agree with the results. Whilst S/S have the more complex program, I feel V/T have better flow which I prefer in pairs.

Technically: S/S made a big mistake on the sbs triple salchows (doubles) which only garnered them 0.83 point. With the fall deduction they actually lost point on that element. V/T made mistakes on the throws, but -GOE isn't as severe.

Overall I'm quite disappointed with both pair's programs. I hope they come up with something better next season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Congrats to Tanya/Maxim, you did your father proud !
disappointed by K/S they are regressing in each competition

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
S/S have boring programs this season so their gap with V/T will get even bigger
plus its not like they have better technical contents, they made mistakes

B/L should be the silver favorite for Worlds
with the aging Germans , P/T for bronze medals

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Good to see V&T have such an emotional win under the most dificult circumstances. What a brave and courageous individual Maxim Trankov is. Also good to see them finally beat S&S after being robbed of both the GP Final and World golds last year by poor judging. Hopefully they will get the World and Olympic golds they deserve this and next year now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Agreed. I found the program lackluster, particularly near the end of the program where it seems like Trankov just ran out of steam and didn't care anymore. I just found the program uninteresting compared to S/S.

hmm. skating from element to element isnt anyway marvelous, its S/S who have empty programs
they dont even feel their programs

S/S should be thankful to B/L withdrawal that they got silver
had B/L competed and skated clean S/S would have placed no higher than bronze !

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Good to see V&T have such an emotional win under the most dificult circumstances. What a brave and courageous individual Maxim Trankov is. Also good to see them finally beat S&S after being robbed of both the GP Final and World golds last year by poor judging. Hopefully they will get the World and Olympic golds they deserve this and next year now.

agreed. congrats to V/T
Iam sure he did his father proud

TelmoFe

Rinkside
I LOVE ALIONA AND ROBIN. They are amazing to me and they skated very well, inspite of salchow and sbs spins, such a quality in the 2 first elements. And I like the FP, with a stunning end position!

Volosozhar and Trankov skated very well, but not perfect, like always. Big scores to a performance with some big errors. In this way they will win Worlds. Maybe the "preparation" to Olympics.

Berton and Hotarek had big scores too, but I'm happy for them, they deserve.

A nice pairs night, could be better.

jamie

On the Ice
I generally spend Euros glued to the TV posting by the bucket load in a live PBP, but barely had the enthusiasm to watch the final group this year. This competition is indicative of the state of the sport in my opinion and I've just about lost all interest.

It's genuinely hilarious that the CH, SS, TR of Kavaguti and Smirnov is marked pretty much even with Frenchies and Italians. I mean, they are frustrating in the technical and in dire need of consistency but, it's been apparent for a year now that even if they go clean, they are being Pettiked and dumped ASAP. I await Smirnov and Bazarova in the wake of Sochi. I'm sick for Yuko who has dedicated her adult life to the sport and lament the fact that they will never again be marked on the merit of their performance but are bound to the inconsistencies of their past few years and the lack of support (read: thrown under a bus) by from the Russian fed.

The simple fact that you need "support" is pathetic, but that's the reason the Frenchies and Italians are suddenly worth 7's and 120's for the LP when neither team has properly crafted programs. I like both teams but am frustrated with Berton's lack of of CH or TR in the FP since I know they have potential, but how long is it going to take to live up to that?

I'm betting Berton's bronze was bought by selling Caplans potential gold. 2 medals instead of 1. Meh

James and Cipres, still a lot to learn but, they are relatively new and I look forward to the progression. They have something fresh, but it's not choreography.

V&T - dated, incredible elements, incredible skills...but I can't believe they still haven't had THAT killer program. It's so disappointing. CH does matter, dated, "Seen it before" should not score 9 - it just shouldn't!

S&S - I get what they are trying, it doesn't read wow, but as always, it does read different/fresh and innovative. Honestly, I hope they draw on successes of the past for their programs next year, but either way, the writing is on the wall. The gold won;t happen.

It's so freaking predictable.

Now bring on worlds where Duhamel's medal has already been bought by the cannucks!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I await Smirnov and Bazarova in the wake of Sochi. I'm sick for Yuko who has dedicated her adult life to the sport and lament the fact that they will never again be marked on the merit of their performance but are bound to the inconsistencies of their past few years and the lack of support (read: thrown under a bus) by from the Russian fed.

Smirnov might still find a new partner after Sochi after Yuko retires
but I dont think Bazarova/Larionov will split barring major injuries

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I LOVE ALIONA AND ROBIN. They are amazing to me and they skated very well, inspite of salchow and sbs spins, such a quality in the 2 first elements. And I like the FP, with a stunning end position!

Volosozhar and Trankov skated very well, but not perfect, like always. Big scores to a performance with some big errors. In this way they will win Worlds. Maybe the "preparation" to Olympics.

and yet S/S had even major mistakes with a fall
so I don't get how they should have "won" ? :laugh:

S/S can thank B/L for their silver medal :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Smirnov might still find a new partner after Sochi after Yuko retires
but I dont think Bazarova/Larionov will split barring major injuries

Yeah. They are a confirmed couple IRL and she has openly stated she knew from a young age she did not ever want to skate with anyone else separate from that.

Irina89

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere that Vera and Yuri are in a relation soo...no chances for them to change parteners

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS LONG PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR & Maxim TRANKOV (RUS) - 212.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, Interview
2. Aliona SAVCHENKO & Robin SZOLKOWY (GER) - 205.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Stefania BERTON & Ondrej HOTAREK (ITA) - 187.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Vanessa JAMES & Morgan CIPRES (FRA) - 178.81 Free Skate
5. Yuko KAVAGUTI & Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS) - 175.48 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Ksenia STOLBOVA & Fedor KLIMOV (RUS) - 167.23
7. Daria POPOVA & Bruno MASSOT (FRA) - 157.12
8. Mari VARTMANN & Aaron VAN CLEAVE (GER) - 141.79
9. Nicole DELLA MONICA & Matteo GUARISE (ITA) - 140.89
10. Stacey KEMP & David KING (GBR) - 131.51
11. Julia LAVRENTIEVA & Yuri RUDYK (UKR) - 128.79
12. Elizaveta MAKAROVA & Leri KENCHADZE (BUL) - 115.96
13. Stina MARTINI & Severin KIEFER (AUT) - 112.29
14. Maria PALIAKOVA & Nikita BOCHKOV (BLR) - 103.13
15. Magdalena KLATKA & Radoslaw CHRUSCINSKI (POL) - 99.65

Medal Ceremony

Last edited:

aniela

On the Ice
aaaaand?..I must love their fp because of that? I talk about emotions) Does it touch or not...So the germans are GREAT in terms of elements, but I didn't like it:scratch:
after all, figure skating is still a sport. It SHOULD be about the elements. You really don’t need to love any program or skater.

seniorita

Record Breaker
S/S program is different and has some interesting choreo but honestly live the music was repetitive with no highlights, they looked slower than usual and the program itself doesnt have flow. Maybe its just this version of Bolero that took away from their performance.
V/T program is boring and predictable but they sold it, the score was huge though. I wish the French team was third, but the Italian couple were really crowd favorites.
I think Kavaguti Smirnov had the best program and I loved her costume. The best choreo was from K/S, this Adams family is really amazing live.
This is the tears day, the medal ceremony was really touching and after the tour of Champions Trankov gave me his flag. :love: Now I have a Russian flag to cheer next days!

waltzjump

Rinkside
Congrats to Stefania and Ondrej & Team Italia! This is a well deserved medal. I especially like how Ondrej seems to be the life of this pair, he carried Stefania through even though she clearly is not as good as him. Hopefully, people would now fully accept him as part of the Italian team as opposed to where he was born/raised.

So happy for the first medal ever for Italy in Pairs at an ISU Championship.
Didn't expect it was coming! Just a silent hope...

Maybe few people know that they worked with Lambiel for some time, taking some advices for their Poeta free program.

Ondrej is much more consistent than Stefania, but I don't think he is necessarily better overall, especially when it comes to skating skills. Actually, when they started their pair, she had noticeably better skating skills than him. As time went by, he really upped his game as a skater, with smooth edges, speed, coverage etc.
On the other hand, he has better stamina.

Great work as a pair, thanks to their whole team. I'm so proud!

Last edited: