Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

Custom Title
    I take no joy in watching his considerable gifts curtailed by injuries. He is always an asset to skating, and it will be a lesser sport without him. I'd love for him to spare his body, but it doesn't seem as though he is able to call it quits. It's not our call, of course, but I do hope he figures out the best path for himself.

I went through this with Michelle. It's a sad truth about most sports that someone can be old in his or her late twenties...an age when most of us were still babies in our chosen professions.
    Last edited by Olympia; 01-24-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Even if Plushenko was clean today, he still wouldn't have been in the top 3 after the SP without a Quad. So at best, his SP ranking would have risen by two and a still about 10 points behind the #1 and 2 after the SP. In other words, his chance of winning this year's Euro is slim to begin with.
    How can anyone know that and where is the logic in it? First, if he were not injuried, he would skate with quad or more likely a quad combo in SP which neither Javi nor Amodio performed. Second, no one knows how the competition would go if Plu was at his best. Remember Shefield. Maybe again they all got "boo-ed" like it happen last season. Pretty much the same can be said about Worlds- the outcome is unknown. Nothing is more hillarious than to read the stuff like "the skater will land, skate, do, etc. this and that." Because no one can know that untill the competition comes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    How can anyone know that and where is the logic in it? First, if he were not injuried, he would skate with quad or more likely a quad combo in SP which neither Javi nor Amodio performed. Second, no one knows how the competition would go if Plu was at his best. Remember Shefield. Maybe again they all got "boo-ed" like it happen last season. Pretty much the same can be said about Worlds- the outcome is unknown. Nothing is more hillarious than to read the stuff like "the skater will land, skate, do, etc. this and that." Because no one can know that untill the competition comes.
    I think that's a big "If". It's same as saying if Plushenko can return to his body at 22 year old, then none of these guys can touch him. Plus, I was told that Plushenko is not exactly injured because his back problem has always been there - it's an old problem that was never properly healed. Then, despite everything, he didn't have trouble - I was told - with Quad at the Russian Nationals. So given that this is not a new injury and his condition is more or less the same as a month ago, then I don't understand why you are blaming his lack of a Quad on an old problem that he has been living with for quite some time?

But more importantly, he didn't plan on a Quad combo today so let's try not to change the history and said he would have. Why didn't he plan a Quad combo, we will never know. Presumably, he did the same thing last year at Euros so it may simply be a strategic choice - not because he is unable to do the Quad.

In light of his planned elements, even if he had executed everything accordingly as planned minus the fall on the Triple Axel, one can extrapolate his approximate TES by adding back the points he would likely have earned without the fall and adjust for other factors to reach a fairly tight and narrow band of marks and conclude he will still not be higher than 4th. That's what I did in my head. You do a little math and you get to a range. If the higher end of the range is still below the marks received by the 3rd place finisher, then yep, it's safe to presume he will be no higher than 4th at a very good probability.

You were told - by whom? You keep suggesting that Plushy is malingering. "If indeed he is injured" - IF?

Okay, let's find out shall we? Contrary to what wallylutz may or may not have "been told" - how many here think that Plushy is NOT injured?

And this is a genuine question - let's put an end to it once and for all.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Its not just about age. He skated fairly well the last season he competed and even Russian Nationals this year. He still has the drive and has always been strong mentally. If his body can hold up and he has time to prepare i think he will still be in Sochi and will be top 5. If he has serious injures i think he shouldn't risk it. Got to respect him for trying though i worry he does himself some damage.
    The injuries are directly related to age and this long competing at top level amateur competition, and this long attempting and doing quads though. You cant make them exclusive of the other.

Banned
    Zhenya already took a gamble by continuing competing and he was reluctant with his form to compete at Euros since Nationals as he mentioned is his interviews doctors advised him further rest but he rushed back to training, hope he takes a full rest, its next year that is the most crucial, I think he will be fine.

Custom Title
    The mind is strong. But the body is having trouble keeping up.

If Plushy's body was as strong as his determination, no-one would stand a chance against him. But it's not. I think, while it is always his call when to end it, it might be time to quietly reasses a little, and maybe make sure the mind is not being decieved as to the capabilities of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    You were told - by whom? You keep suggesting that Plushy is malingering. "If indeed he is injured" - IF?

Okay, let's find out shall we? Contrary to what wallylutz may or may not have "been told" - how many here think that Plushy is NOT injured?

And this is a genuine question - let's put an end to it once and for all.
    If anybody knows him, knows his soul, knows his will, knows his honesty don't says such a ridiculous assumption. He is injured. But he said in an interview he did some unforgivable mistakes. Couple of fans had a brief meeting with Plu and Yana at the airport, Plu told them that he canceled all shows "Art on Ice", to be healed in Russia. Next season planned is his appearance at one Grand Prix (probably Cup of Russia), then Russian and European Championship 2014 ... so for now. It seems he is not over.

Dear wallylutz!Look at this video, maybe you'll get some answers to why he is doing the FS even now, and what is his soul. I'm crying, because it's so current....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw
    Last edited by plushyfan; 01-25-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Is his injury this time back or knee?

Back. There are more details in the Injuries & Other Ills thread, but basically, he had a back surgery at the end of last year, rushed back to training - against doctors' orders - to be ready for Russian Nationals, and he said now in a recent interview he's thinking of returning to Germany to consult the doctors again. This time, at least, he will have time to let things heal properly.

Rinkside
    It should always be an athlete's choice when to retire but sometimes enough is enough. Plushenko's body has been screaming at him for years to give up. The fact that he skated as well as he did in Vancouver was amazing but that should have been the end of it. I don't understand why he insists on competing. I know the love for something that has encompassed your whole life is strong but it shouldn't come at the risk of health.

Banned
    That said, to compare this year to last year's Euro would be a mistake. The standards of men skating have risen rapidly.
    How exactly I wonder. They now jump 4Lu with 4T or solo 4A? In fact the level of difficulty is decreasing thanks to CoP. Quad combos will soon become non-existent, especially in SP. Moreover, some guys now stick with Ladies' combos of 3T-3T or 3-2. Or don't even bother to put 3A in FS.
    This still feels just a like national championship to him, where he made two major errors but only one was properly punished (the fall) but the other one (solo jump not preceding by connecting steps) was unjustifiably ignored by 8 of the 9 judges.
    Plus, I was told that Plushenko is not exactly injured because his back problem has always been there - it's an old problem that was never properly healed. Then, despite everything, he didn't have trouble - I was told - with Quad at the Russian Nationals.
    I don't follow. First you commented RN but then you said you were told. So, did you watch RN? Never mind. Because that doesn't matter. The point is it's quite stupid at the age of Internet to provide false information if you want to be taken seriously. What's the point indeed if any the least unknowledgable one can easily find protocols, vids, ISU rules, etc. online. Plu didn't make any of two major errors at RNs that you descibe. He skated both progs with no fall and in SP he had 3Lu with prec. steps. So, you paralleling with RN has no merit.

You are told by Munich clinic doctors about his body conditions? Oh please. That's too silly to bother to comment.

Custom Title
    Chronologically, no; biologically, probably.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by onyxrose81 View Post
    It should always be an athlete's choice when to retire but sometimes enough is enough. Plushenko's body has been screaming at him for years to give up. The fact that he skated as well as he did in Vancouver was amazing but that should have been the end of it. I don't understand why he insists on competing. I know the love for something that has encompassed your whole life is strong but it shouldn't come at the risk of health.
    That's what I worry about as well. At this point, he's won absolutely everything, and he will have lasting fame in Russia and among skate fans worldwide. I just don't want him to cripple himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That's what I worry about as well. At this point, he's won absolutely everything, and he will have lasting fame in Russia and among skate fans worldwide. I just don't want him to cripple himself.
    Agreed! I worry about him continously, I would like to see him on many-many shows, and like a coach. But he has decisions, what can I do? I support him.

http://ow.ly/i/1qtuc
    Last edited by plushyfan; 01-26-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast