Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
No, what Jammers is saying is that Yagudin was an all-rounded skater, which the CoP system rewards. So theoretically, had he skated in CoP he would have done well because he had no major weaknesses.
Plush won silver under the COP at Vancouver, and gold in last year on ECH. Do you remember ? You talked about a skater, who retired 11 years ago, when Plush was only 19.:laugh:

LRK

Record Breaker
When did I say I have zero interest in it? I've said before that I hope he recovers for the Sochi Olympics. Just because I'm not gushing over him doesn't mean I'm not interested in seeing the guy do well. The comment I was going to make is of course Mishin will say the surgery went well, even if it didn't, so we should take it with a grain of salt.

I do apologise then, as I missed that comment.

(Must remind myself: Don't be hasty, Master Meriadoc!)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yagudin's skills were made for COP i think. He didn't have a major weakness.

No, what Jammers is saying is that Yagudin was an all-rounded skater, which the CoP system rewards. So theoretically, had he skated in CoP he would have done well because he had no major weaknesses.
It's impossible to say how Yagudin would have fared under the IJS. When he retired, he was more polished than Plushenko, but in terms of IJS-relevant skills, I don't know. We don't know how he would have dealt with the spin variations, the step sequence requirements, if he'd have been able to incorporate more difficulty into the linking movements in his programs and have the same consistency on the jumps while doing more difficult entries. We just don't know. It's pointless to speculate.

What we do know is that Kurt Browning, whose skills really were made for the IJS, said around the time of the Medal Winners Open that making the adjustment is hard. And while it's true that Kurt is older and had been out of competition for years, I think adjusting to the current system was challenging for the 6.0 skaters, which makes it all the more impressive that Plushenko was able to do so relatively well.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Wasn't Cop applied in 2003-2004 for the Gps? So this is its tenth season now. So under Cop Plush has won gps, gpf, 4 out of his 7 European golds, 2 out of his 3 Olympic medals.
I would say he adjusted pretty well.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Plush won silver under the COP at Vancouver, and gold in last year on ECH. Do you remember ? You talked about a skater, who retired 11 years ago, when Plush was only 19.:laugh:

I said that Yagudin would have theoretically done well. There is no way of knowing for certain, obviously. There's no telling if Michelle Kwan could have flourished under CoP, and in fact, she only came 4th at 2005 Worlds under it, which was her PB before retiring. In that 2005 FS, she got level 2 spins, footwork and spirals. Though one could extrapolate that she is capable of level 4's. Given time to tailor her spins, footwork, etc. one could argue that with her skating skills and generally decent spins, etc. Michelle could have adapted. I'm saying the same about Yagudin because he has good spins, footwork (which could lend itself, for e.g., to good transitions), artistry, etc. he is capable of level 4 spins and footwork under CoP.

Geez, I am not bashing Plushenko when I praise Yagudin. I didn't even mention him. I know you're a diehard Plushenko fan, but trust me, you'll know when I'm criticizing him and then you can accordingly give a rebuttal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wasn't Cop applied in 2003-2004 for the Gps? So this is its tenth season now. So under Cop Plush has won gps, gpf, 4 out of his 7 European golds, 2 out of his 3 Olympic medals.
I would say he adjusted pretty well.

He's adjusted well, except for that small time he lost the 2010 Olympics because he front-loaded his jumps and didn't capitalise on his 3-jump sequence, costing him the gold medal. ;)

(Oh, and losing to Sandhu at the GPF because he didn't think he needed to do a 3S.)

seniorita

Record Breaker
He lost to Sandhu basically cause he did a 3rd combo there instead of two. That was 9 years ago.

gmyers

Record Breaker
His not doing a 3 jump combo was a risk he took because he was the only one doing quad triples so people left out quads he left out 3 jump combos. Now he does 3 jump combo but not really quad combos.

yaya124

On the Ice
His not doing a 3 jump combo was a risk he took because he was the only one doing quad triples so people left out quads he left out 3 jump combos. Now he does 3 jump combo but not really quad combos.

He was too injured to do even single quad at EC. But in RN he did 4-2 (probably initial plan was 4-3) in SP (I think......). If his plan is to use 2 quads in LP, one of them normally will be in Combo.

Now the most important thing is his health, without it, he cannot do much.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was going back to last season mostly. The free skates. The issues of his health are paramount now for sure.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There is an interview of Tarasova and between other things she says that practice doesnt have the adrenaline of competition and Plush should have gone for the quad in sp, than the 3z-3t, because the change of plan made him lost concetration, the funny part she says is that he should have gone for quad in sp cause 3lz-3t is for juniors, and I was thinking, did she watch Vancouver at all?
I know things have changed since then but still I smiled with that comment.
I think something was really wrong with his injury from morning practice till competition cause he landed a quad in practice, even if not good, he usually does better in competition.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Only Yag talks? Still no Osmond? Bring Evan at least... You disappoint me, folks...

On a serious note. They say Plu will stay in an Israel clinic for two weeks. His wife will go tomorrow to Israel. Some Russian docs commented the stuff like three months before he will be able to skate, six month before to jump, etc. I laughed a lot simply because no single operation of this kind was ever done in Russia. What those docs can know. But why not to use Plu name for some extra PR of their clinics :laugh:. In Kiev and other cities the tickets sale for his shosw is currently unavailable. Which means there won't be any "Just 30" Russia/Ukraine tour in spring. That was expected in the light of recent developments.

amber68

On the Ice

Yagudin was an all-around 6.0 skater. Someone in this thread mentioned that he had lots of spin variations. Really? Which were these spins variation?
Or his fans keep saying how great was his choreography or footwork. These are just myths. Yagudins’s choreography , though pleasant to watch, was exactly the typical 6.0 choreography: front-loaded programs, with cross-overs between elements and lots of posing. The same goes for footwork: fast, quick steps but no edgework.

Please remove the rose-coloured glasses, watch his programs again and let us know what do you think about spins, footwork, coreography, transitions (he had exactly the same amount of transitions as Plushenko , yet Yagudin is regarded as the one having intricate programs...).
And I am not saying all these to criticize Yagudin. He was a very good skater who did exactly what was required of him to win under 6.0 system.,
But let’s not fantasize about his skills.

ciocio

On the Ice
I agree, Yagudin was a 6.0 skater and that's why he was so successful, he did what he had to do. Obviously it doesn't mean he wasn't a great skater, Takahashi's Chan's, Hanyu's programs will probably look silly too in the future. :p

amber68

On the Ice
I agree, Yagudin was a 6.0 skater and that's why he was so successful, he did what he had to do. Obviously it doesn't mean he wasn't a great skater, Takahashi's Chan's, Hanyu's programs will probably look silly too in the future. :p

Of course. But le'ts not pretend that all his skills (like spins, footwork) transceded the 6.0 system .
The same goes for MIchelle Kwan :)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Of course. But le'ts not pretend that all his skills (like spins, footwork) transceded the 6.0 system .
The same goes for MIchelle Kwan :)
6.0 skaters did what they had to do to succeed in that period; we can't say for sure how they would have fared under the IJS (early or current version). We've seen skaters make the transition with varying levels of success: Takahashi and Kostner started out in the old system, but their skating works well with the current one, while Joubert made some adjustments and has been quite successful, but probably would have done better under the old system. KvdP remained a 6.0 skater at heart, as did Johnny Weir. Kwan I wouldn't count, since she only skated once under the IJS.

I think Plushenko, like Joubert, has taken a mixed approach, making some adjustments but retaining the core of what he was as a 6.0 skater. It's worked well for him, obviously.

I hope his recovery will go well. At least winter in Israel should be much nicer than in Russia ;)