Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

ciocio

On the Ice
What advantage does Plushenko have over the youngsters now? In the past, he can wip out a Quad, then posed for the rest of the program and watch others fall or make mistakes. Nowadays, men can easily wip out 3 Quads in a single performance, more than he could ever do and still have energy for other things. His Transitions have been analyzed to death, everyone and their dogs know he can't do them. Without the big jump advantage, yeah, he will not be a contender.

What advantage does he need? He just wants to participate in his homeland Olympics and finish his career, which by the way was amazing. Unlike the youngsters which have to fight for their first Olympic title, he can afford anything, to win the Olympics, came in second, third, last place, etc.
You'd better analyze the advantages Chan has over the contenders and advise him to find a technical coach, otherwise Canada will miss that gold medal again :popcorn:

lilywang

Rinkside
LOL, I remember seeing similar posts in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, reality can be a xxxxx, right? :laugh:

Sure someday Plushenko will be too old to compete, that is the nature of human body. But it will be him and his team to decide when that time is.

Again, if going to your forth Olympic at 31 is easy, Plushenko won't be interested in doing it anyway. ;)

A legendary Champion needs a legendary challenge. Not many skaters even have the chance to face such challenge in the history of figure skating. Such honor is only reserved to few.:)

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh for sure, Plushenko has to take on so many skaters who can easily do three quads! Legions of them. :rolleye:

Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program: 3
Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program more than once: 1
Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program more than twice: 0

Plushenko was always all about the quad... well, the number of skaters who got a level 4 on a step sequence before Plushenko did: 1 (Takahashi).

I agree with ciocio that Plushenko's goals are likely more modest at this point. I personally hope his only goal is to live a healthy and happy life, because it pains me to see him endangering his long-term health. But he has done so much for and in the sport, inspired so many skaters, that he deserves the opportunity to go out on his own terms.

Why Wallylutz, who clearly is knowledgeable about skating, feels the need to resort to insults and hyperbole is beyond me.

It's whip out, by the way. With an H.

lilywang

Rinkside
Why Wallylutz, who clearly is knowledgeable about skating, feels the need to resort to insults and hyperbole is beyond me.

Maybe that is the best argument that can be conjured up?

The spirit is indeed willing, but the 'mind' is weak :laugh:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always found Yagudin more interesting as a skater anyways. And he was better at his peak. To bad an injury derailed his career but at least he won the OGM before he had to quit.

LRK

Record Breaker
I always found Yagudin more interesting as a skater anyways. And he was better at his peak. To bad an injury derailed his career but at least he won the OGM before he had to quit.

Thanks for sharing this random thought.

lilywang

Rinkside

No worry, you can always discuss Yagudin in the threads of Plushenko. That is usually where the name Yagudin pops up the past ten years ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No worry, you can always discuss Yagudin in the threads of Plushenko. That is usually where the name Yagudin pops up the past ten years ;)
Well, back in the days of the epic Plushenko thread, seniorita did point out that one of the most often repeated words on the thread, in addition to nose and pose, was Yagudin ;)

wallylutz

Medalist
No matter, no one comes close to him..:p A Canadian skater can't even repeat his career. ;)

plushyfan, I sure hope no Canadian skater or any skater from any county for the matter has to repeat his career because who would want to be forced back from his retirement by his skating fed because the country can't find a man - any man - in almost 10 years to take over? Look at now, Plushenko is paying this with his own health and knees, is this worth it? If he has to walk the rest of his life on clutches as a result, would all the medals in the world make him healthy again?

What advantage does he need? He just wants to participate in his homeland Olympics and finish his career, which by the way was amazing. Unlike the youngsters which have to fight for their first Olympic title, he can afford anything, to win the Olympics, came in second, third, last place, etc.
You'd better analyze the advantages Chan has over the contenders and advise him to find a technical coach, otherwise Canada will miss that gold medal again :popcorn:

ROFL! :rofl:

Did you forget something? No matter how decorated Plushenko's career has been, he only won one Olympic Gold medal in his life and likely won't see another one. Yet, in the Sochi 2014 Olympics in Russia, Patrick Chan will have the chance of winning not one but two Olympic Gold medals in one shot, thus, surpassing what Plushenko has ever achieved. You know what's even better? If Plushenko take part in the Sochi Olympics and compete, he will contribute to Russia's potential defeat in both events. I can't think of anything more vindicating than this. And please don't try to convince us that "he can afford anything". Russia only cares about the number of Olympic Gold medals, not even the number of total medals - only the Gold medal matter. He didn't come back to finish last or just for the pleasure of skating in his homeland Olympics, that's simply not true. Many people suspected he pulled out of the Euros this year because he couldn't stand finishing the Championship without being the #1. Did the fall in the SP aggravate his injury or has it been there for a while? Then, if the fall didn't aggravate his injury, why did he pull out citing an injury that was already there before he began the SP? The answer is obvious except it's not PC to openly state it. And if Patrick Chan doesn't win it, so what? You can't have everything in life, let the best skater win!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Many people suspected he pulled out of the Euros this year because he couldn't stand finishing the Championship without being the #1. Did the fall in the SP aggravate his injury or has it been there for a while? Then, if the fall didn't aggravate his injury, why did he pull out citing an injury that was already there before he began the SP? The answer is obvious except it's not PC to openly state it.

And those people have already been proved wrong because he is off to get more treatments and pulled out of shows.

You know, I think it's rather a compliment to Plushy that people are still so in awe of him that they resort to making unfounded accusations of bad sportsmanship.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I agree with ciocio that Plushenko's goals are likely more modest at this point. I personally hope his only goal is to live a healthy and happy life, because it pains me to see him endangering his long-term health. But he has done so much for and in the sport, inspired so many skaters, that he deserves the opportunity to go out on his own terms.

And this is where the debate should end.

lilywang

Rinkside
Glad that the thread is getting longer and longer, :popcorn:

Shouldn't people be more interested in talking about those new champions, instead of spending so much time of their life on the old, irrelevant, never-gonna-medal Plushenko? :p

Oh Plushy, you definitely filled a void in some posters' hearts and minds! :biggrin:

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
And those people have already been proved wrong because he is off to get more treatments and pulled out of shows.

You know, I think it's rather a compliment to Plushy that people are still so in awe of him that they resort to making unfounded accusations of bad sportsmanship.

Hmm...as if visiting the doctor proves anything at all, I can make an appointment with the hospital tomorrow, doesn't mean anything. I seem to recall a certain someone who got banned by the ISU in 2010 for getting a medical bye but magically skated in show soon after? I can't recall who that might be and perhaps he learned a lesson since 2010? :laugh: Must be, because getting the ban lifted for the 2nd time will undoubtedly be a lot harder.

ciocio

On the Ice
Hmm...as if visiting the doctor proves anything at all, I can make an appointment with the hospital tomorrow, doesn't mean anything. I seem to recall a certain someone who got banned by the ISU in 2010 for getting a medical bye but magically skated in show soon after? I can't recall who that might be and perhaps he learned a lesson since 2010? :laugh: Must be, because getting the ban lifted for the 2nd time will undoubtedly be a lot harder.

Yes, he learned a lesson, now he's on very good terms with the Russian Federation, so no ban this time. Sorry!

plushyfan, I sure hope no Canadian skater or any skater from any county for the matter has to repeat his career because who would want to be forced back from his retirement by his skating fed because the country can't find a man - any man - in almost 10 years to take over? Look at now, Plushenko is paying this with his own health and knees, is this worth it? If he has to walk the rest of his life on clutches as a result, would all the medals in the world make him healthy again?

Did you forget something? No matter how decorated Plushenko's career has been, he only won one Olympic Gold medal in his life and likely won't see another one. Yet, in the Sochi 2014 Olympics in Russia, Patrick Chan will have the chance of winning not one but two Olympic Gold medals in one shot, thus, surpassing what Plushenko has ever achieved. You know what's even better? If Plushenko take part in the Sochi Olympics and compete, he will contribute to Russia's potential defeat in both events. I can't think of anything more vindicating than this. And please don't try to convince us that "he can afford anything". Russia only cares about the number of Olympic Gold medals, not even the number of total medals - only the Gold medal matter. He didn't come back to finish last or just for the pleasure of skating in his homeland Olympics, that's simply not true. Many people suspected he pulled out of the Euros this year because he couldn't stand finishing the Championship without being the #1. Did the fall in the SP aggravate his injury or has it been there for a while? Then, if the fall didn't aggravate his injury, why did he pull out citing an injury that was already there before he began the SP? The answer is obvious except it's not PC to openly state it. And if Patrick Chan doesn't win it, so what? You can't have everything in life, let the best skater win!

Unlike you I don't care about Russia or their medals.:p They don't have another top skater in men competition and that's not my problem or Plushenko's fault. I personally would prefer an OMG for Patrick Chan and a team gold for Russia and I believe Plushenko can help them to win it, if he's healthy.
What if Patrick Chan doesn't win? Well...I'll be very pissed because he deserves that medal, could you tell him to get a REAL coach, please?????:mad:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker

People skate injured and sick and then pull out because of that injury or sickness between SP and LP lots of times in the past and will do so in the future because that is how a lot of athletes operate! Try to attempt compete sick or injured and then withdraw. It is so common! It happens every season. But with lots of things regarding Plushenko there is a darker motivation or a motivation built out of a character flaw. Devious or something. Something that makes him a bad individual.

There is way too much Russia is the boss of Plushenko in your post. Like he is being used by Russia to win golds and that is his only purpose but he can quit. He actually doesn't want to. He is doing Russia a favor by staying. I can't imagine it not being personal desire to compete in Russia.

seniorita

Record Breaker
He fell on an axel after 9 years and it is on the news :). For the zero quad, iffy lutz and and the disaster of an axel, Plush sold his program after the fall and got a SO in Euros. In an extremely well skated event only 3 skaters got SO. The other ones were Joubert and Fernandez.

He has withdrawn from sp two times in his whole carreer if i remember correct..TO get things straight, PLushenko would not have been banned by ISU had he appeared in AOI shows. It is not the same situation as Wolrds 2010 when RF didnt saction him to shows so ISU had to ban him and I m pretty sure RF would not do the same now. And he has a case. He came and participated in the tournament. Aliona and Robin came to EUros 2012 last year, did one practice, withdrew to injury and one week after did the whole tour of AOI, pretty much what Plushenko has done now. RF with press release is supporting him in his decision to withdraw from Euros.

Euros was a low point for sure and sets him back from what he started building in SHeffield but I am to agree with BC, he affords to have a bad showing, and honestly I think even if he could skate a decent Lp he would withdraw because at this point of his career he doesnt care for a top ten finish at euros.But if he earns his spot for Oly team and is sort of healthy he will be there regardless of the medals. He could afforded to skip RN , EUros and whatever the last couple of seasons but he doesnt.

lilywang

Rinkside
He fell on an axel after 9 years and it is on the news :). For the zero quad, iffy lutz and and the disaster of an axel, Plush sold his program after the fall and got a SO in Euros. In an extremely well skated event only 3 skaters got SO. The other ones were Joubert and Fernandez.

Glad you were there to enjoy the game!

let`s talk

Match Penalty

I'll start making notes:

1. one Olympic Gold medal is just "only one". Not worthy of being deemed as some achievement.
This statement comes form a Canadian uber which representatives never won any Gold Medal in Men. Neither in Ladies. Won one in Dances in Vancouver. And one in Pairs in SLC the history of that win I won't even bother to describe.
Isn't it the reason of all the bitterness that we can observe here regarding the value of "only one OGM"? I believe it is.

2. Plus is a malingerer and a liar because he withdrew due to the back injury when "in fact" he was afraid to lose . When others withdraw due to stomach flu or somesuch, or don't even bother to attend the events at all without any injury or health reason (PChan at 4CC 2013), it's all happening in good faith and in no way due to the fear to lose to rivals. Of course neither mums/nuns/whoever nor even the current buddies in tabloids never told the person making such claims who bad it is to libel.

3. Plu fell after 9 years and it made the news. The said persona clearly doesn't have a clue what an irony it is to hear such statement from a Chan uber. :laugh:

The point is there is nothing NEW in wallylutz's rants. Just a flow of boring poison, envy and greed with which Plu fans are having deal with since his Vancover comeback. Yawn. I am still waiting for something more creative. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Did you forget something? No matter how decorated Plushenko's career has been, he only won one Olympic Gold medal in his life and likely won't see another one. Yet, in the Sochi 2014 Olympics in Russia, Patrick Chan will have the chance of winning not one but two Olympic Gold medals in one shot, thus, surpassing what Plushenko has ever achieved.

You argument would be more convincing if Chan actually had an Olympic gold medal in his pocket. ;)