Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Thread: Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I was really curious, I wached Yagudin's programs again after the debate in this thread. and I can't see that fantastic spins and footworks. I think his footworks were interesting and showy but isn't hard, and wasn't harder like Plushy's. That was great skating from a fantastic skater.
    Yagudin's footwork sequence (as for example in Winter), choreographed by Morozov, was praised because no one had ever seen anything like it before.

At least not since the 1940s. Sonja Henie specialized in doing those dancing on toepics moves in her exhibition skates. It wasn't hard but it was WOW!

Yes, but that very simple footwork pattern I believe only counts as a level 1? level 2? LOL

Custom Title
    Thanks so much for the translation and all the videos, Let's Talk, Seniorita, and Plushyfan. Plushy is really astonishing, isn't he? LRK, I love the quote you mention, and I think it's very apt here. He does seem to be one of those rare people without fear. He certainly has a high threshold of pain. I hope he recovers uneventfully. Keep us posted, team!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Yagudin's footwork sequence (as for example in Winter), choreographed by Morozov, was praised because no one had ever seen anything like it before.

At least not since the 1940s. Sonja Henie specialized in doing those dancing on toepics moves in her exhibition skates. It wasn't hard but it was WOW!
    Yes. I didn't deny.

Custom Title
    This operation will leave him with only 6 degrees of freedom. That might be enough for everyday living, but is it enough for skating?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    This operation will leave him with only 6 degrees of freedom. That might be enough for everyday living, but is it enough for skating?
    That doesn't sound great. Spinal surgery is no joke. Did they put in any pins to stabilize his spine? That will take a lot of movement away, though it will strengthen and protect him in terms of everyday living. I hope he doesn't do anything to damage himself, though I completely understand his wish to skate forever. I understood it when Michelle tried to compete in the 2006 games, and I get it with Plushenko too. This is a guy who was born to skate.

Doctors are encouraging: the operation was successful, and Evgeni will return to the ice. But to start training in March could not as he had hoped his coach Alexei Mishin, and at the end of April.

But I don't want. I hope he waits for the complete recovery. I think his fans messages help his speedy recovery. Today at 11am CET many fans wrote a message for him on twitter.. ) http://twitter.com/bigeyegugu/status...827137/photo/1
    Lots of support!!! "Zhenya, we are with you! We love you! Get well soon!"

Banned
    I don't think anyone is that kind of doctor here. Ilya who operated him said that now his back is in much better conditions than it was before the operation. Someone can say that it's just a surgeon praising his work. But on the other hand, if Plu could win with a worse back, why can't he do the same with a better one. I just hope he will listen to the docs and won't rush to the rink before they say "you can go."

Custom Title
    Hear! Hear!

I wonder if part of the problem is that he's just the sort of guy who must be DOING things all the time - I just hope he doesn't get too restless. Just ply him with audiobooks, DVDs, videogames.... oh, I don't know... chess maybe? Whatever to keep him busy!

Banned
    I have no idea about this operation, but whether Plushenko is able to skate, or rather compete in Sochi only time can tell. I wish him best of the luck.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Yes, but that very simple footwork pattern I believe only counts as a level 1? level 2? LOL
    You're really going after his footwork? Almost 99% of footwork sequences prior to CoP would be level 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Hear! Hear!

I wonder if part of the problem is that he's just the sort of guy who must be DOING things all the time - I just hope he doesn't get too restless. Just ply him with audiobooks, DVDs, videogames.... oh, I don't know... chess maybe? Whatever to keep him busy!
    Maybe his son, Alexander? He will have time to change the nappy and help him burp..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Maybe his son, Alexander? He will have time to change the nappy and help him burp..
    Good thought!

This is Orser's opinion:
    http://winter.sport-express.ru/figur...reviews/28399/
    Brian Orser: "Since last year, I am a fan of Plushenko" :-)

- Have you seen performance in Zagreb Plushenko?
    - Yes, of course.

- Are not you surprised by his decision to withdraw after the short program?
    - This is his and only his decision, I have no right to talk, it was correct or not. Plushenko - supertalant. And the fact that he is still willing and able to compete with much younger children, is admirable. What really surprised me in Zagreb - is his refusal to quadruple jump in the short program. Because Plushenko - unbeaten fighter. After that he made at the last European Championships in Sheffield, I became his fan. True. Remember thinking, OK, we have to admit he is a god figure skating, if he can fight like this. It was amazing! I did see him in training - such a calm, even relaxed. But Plushenko knows exactly how to get together when you go to the start. I know that he really wants to come to Sochi, and I can only wish him a full recovery and get in shape. Such men as he pushed all the other forward. This is for my students. They look at him with wide eyes. Besides Plushenko - the kind of person who surrounds the special aura they create around themselves a special atmosphere. And it's impossible to miss.

Custom Title
    Eek! I just read the report of the surgery. They replaced a disc with synthetic disc material. That's pretty dire. I love that Plushenko is skating, but I worry about his long-term (and even short-term) health. Look, it's not as if we fans are going to forget him if he leaves the ice. We still adore Michelle and even Janet Lynn, who retired from eligible skating in 1973 and pro skating in I think the eighties. Plushy will never leave the list of best skaters ever, not in a hundred years. But I want him to have a body he can count on for later.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11