Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Is Plushenko Too Old For This Sport?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Agreed! I worry about him continously, I would like to see him on many-many shows, and like a coach. But he has decisions, what can I do? I support him.

http://ow.ly/i/1qtuc
    He's not too old, he is too injured.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It was sad to see Plushy skate injured and perform far below his high standard at Europeans. He has now withdrawn due to injury. I think the sport is so hard on the body that for someone who has taken a beating from 20+ years of intense training is too much. I admire that he wants to skate in Sochi but it seems like a bad idea to continue training to compete at the highest levels when he can do permanent damage to his knees, hips, back, etc. He has won EVERYTHING in the sport already so I just question if skating an Olympics in your home country is worth the risk.

Again we cannot call his retirement but down to him...

Time will tell...... But Plushy is determined to be there, he will limit his competitions, I wouldn't be surprised if he just does Nationals and then Sochi and bypass Euro's. All depends on the body, I know a lot of europeans like to do Euro's before Sochi .. so we will see. GP plushy will skip for sure....

Custom Title
    He'll have to do something, though, probably, to get the TES?

average opinionated skate fan
    hmm, directly to the questions....is Plushy too old?....if you mean, chronologically is he too old to be skating, not necessarily , that would depend on the skater and the way they have skated through out their careers (number of competitions, number of show performances, touring, etc.)

I personally think Plushy himself is too old to skate at the top of the competitive level due to the wear and tear on his body. He was a top flight skater a couple of years previous to the Salt Lake games and that is a LONG time for anyone to survive the world of competitive skating, especially when thinking of the level of difficulty demanded to win competitions these days. I also think the ordinal system was kinder to his skating than COP. Even with his limberness and amazing footwork, kinetic memory is harder to retrain with all the 'extras' the judges want to see to gain level 4 scores from elements.

Custom Title
    Yes!

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Yep! Not surprised he withdrew from Europeans. He realized there was no way he would medal. Injury or no injury he will probably be in a show next week! LOL seriously though, he has no chance at a medal at the Olympics...even though its in Russia!

Custom Title
    What advantage does Plushenko have over the youngsters now? In the past, he can wip out a Quad, then posed for the rest of the program and watch others fall or make mistakes. Nowadays, men can easily wip out 3 Quads in a single performance, more than he could ever do and still have energy for other things. His Transitions have been analyzed to death, everyone and their dogs know he can't do them. Without the big jump advantage, yeah, he will not be a contender.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Yep! Not surprised he withdrew from Europeans. He realized there was no way he would medal. Injury or no injury he will probably be in a show next week! LOL seriously though, he has no chance at a medal at the Olympics...even though its in Russia!
    Um, he has cancelled all his shows, and won't resume training until March - um - lol? It's nice that you find somebody's pain and suffering so amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    ha-ha, you don't know anything

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    What advantage does Plushenko have over the youngsters now? In the past, he can wip out a Quad, then posed for the rest of the program and watch others fall or make mistakes. Nowadays, men can easily wip out 3 Quads in a single performance, more than he could ever do and still have energy for other things. His Transitions have been analyzed to death, everyone and their dogs know he can't do them. Without the big jump advantage, yeah, he will not be a contender.
    No matter, no one comes close to him.. A Canadian skater can't even repeat his career.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 01-27-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    What advantage does he need? He just wants to participate in his homeland Olympics and finish his career, which by the way was amazing. Unlike the youngsters which have to fight for their first Olympic title, he can afford anything, to win the Olympics, came in second, third, last place, etc.
    You'd better analyze the advantages Chan has over the contenders and advise him to find a technical coach, otherwise Canada will miss that gold medal again

On the Ice
    LOL, I remember seeing similar posts in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012, reality can be a xxxxx, right?

Sure someday Plushenko will be too old to compete, that is the nature of human body. But it will be him and his team to decide when that time is.

Again, if going to your forth Olympic at 31 is easy, Plushenko won't be interested in doing it anyway.

A legendary Champion needs a legendary challenge. Not many skaters even have the chance to face such challenge in the history of figure skating. Such honor is only reserved to few.
    Last edited by lilywang; 01-27-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Oh for sure, Plushenko has to take on so many skaters who can easily do three quads! Legions of them.

Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program: 3
    Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program more than once: 1
    Active skaters who have landed three quads in a program more than twice: 0

Plushenko was always all about the quad... well, the number of skaters who got a level 4 on a step sequence before Plushenko did: 1 (Takahashi).

I agree with ciocio that Plushenko's goals are likely more modest at this point. I personally hope his only goal is to live a healthy and happy life, because it pains me to see him endangering his long-term health. But he has done so much for and in the sport, inspired so many skaters, that he deserves the opportunity to go out on his own terms.

Why Wallylutz, who clearly is knowledgeable about skating, feels the need to resort to insults and hyperbole is beyond me.

It's whip out, by the way. With an H.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

Why Wallylutz, who clearly is knowledgeable about skating, feels the need to resort to insults and hyperbole is beyond me.

Maybe that is the best argument that can be conjured up?

The spirit is indeed willing, but the 'mind' is weak
    Last edited by lilywang; 01-27-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Custom Title
    I always found Yagudin more interesting as a skater anyways. And he was better at his peak. To bad an injury derailed his career but at least he won the OGM before he had to quit.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast