Thread: Volosozhar & Trankov: Sochi Favourites?

Hybrid View

Volosozhar & Trankov: Sochi Favourites?

Very impressed by Volosozhar & Trankov today at Euro's, especially given the fact that Maxim was skating in very trying circumstances. Savchenko & Szolkowy now look well past their prime. Hence, I think V&T have to now be favourites to win 2013 Worlds and the Olympic title.

Banned
    Savcehnko/Szolkowy not competing full this season have hurt them, they have lower pcs than V/T and that gap will get bigger especially with V/T skating a clean program. Bazarova/Larionov are silver favorites with S/S and D/R maybe for bronze

aging teams like P/T can pull a medal contention
    though sadly Kavaguti/Smirnov are done

Custom Title
    I think V/T has been gifted huge scores for terribly constructed and skated programs coming from a strong federation competing at the Olympic on home ice. Yeah, they're the favourites.

Banned
    by Sochi 2014 the gold contention would be between V/T and B/L

Banned
    They become the favorites for the 2014 Olympics if they win the 2013 Worlds which they are currently favored to win.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I think V/T has been gifted huge scores for terribly constructed and skated programs coming from a strong federation competing at the Olympic on home ice. Yeah, they're the favourites.
    This. Saddly I think that V/T are pretty much locked for the gold now. If international judges give them 9s for the kind of programs and performances they've shown this season, then nobody else stands a chance really.

I think they are the favourites but I also think they were overscored at Euros today. I don't think S/S should have been four points back in the FS. I think V/T were the rightful leaders since S/S had a fall, but not by that margin. I much prefer S/S and minus the horrible costumes, their program is much better - more interesting and intricate. I think they'll take silver in Sochi and B/L will take the bronze, maybe (if not Pang/Tong or Duhamel/Radford). I know people are saying B/L are the silver favourites now but I can't recall an instance when B/L were held up against S/S undeservedly.

Medalist
    A lot of people say that they are overscored, I politely disagree with it. For the last 2-3 season an "inflation" of points has been going on. S/S got huge scores too, I think they got more than TTMM at the Olys-2006. OMO, judges generally should be more careful with giving the points or soon 200+ won't be enough to be in the Worlds top5 and we'll be hitting 300.
    As to the topic, yeah V/T are looking like favourites and I hope they'll won, I admit that I'm their huuuuge fan. But it's not guaranteed, If SS will skate cleaner than the VT they will be winners, the last night was the first time VT won and it was partly because SS themselves made such big mistakes