SOI-Fresno, Ca. 2004 | Golden Skate

SOI-Fresno, Ca. 2004

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
SOI-Fresno, Ca. 2004- Show Review

I got so caught up in watching Nationals, that I didn't have time to write up my SOI experience, Jan. 7th at the Savemart Center in Fresno, California.

The bus carrying the skaters hit some bad weather traveling from Oregon, so they didn't arrive at the center until about two hours before performance time. We had great seats, about 10 rows up from center ice.

My hubby hadn't been to an ice performance since 1992, so he was in awe at the speed and the "glitz' of some of the performers.

The biggest thrill for me was seeing Kurt Browning skate. No one can pull a jump out of footwork like Kurt....effortless. He skated to "Moondance" and "Ding Dong Daddy" which had Chris Dean written all over it.........he is the Best!!!

The three pair skaters are gorgeous. I had seen Elena and Anton before, but they have refined their craft to perfection. Their "Let Me Fall" by Josh Grobin was glorious. Jamie and David were all that I expected them to be. It is obvious that they truly enjoy skating together, and he is exceptionally talented and naturally comical. This was the first time also for me seeing Kyoko and John skate, and all I can say is I wish they had stayed eligible. The amateur world needs them back.

Meno and Sands were smooth and very comfortible, but he struggled with his lifts, and I feared for Jenny at times. I wonder if their pair skating days are about over (or maybe he shouldn't try such aggressive lifts anymore).........

I had seen Alexei and Todd before, and they didn't disappoint one bit, in fact, Todd got the only complete standing ovation of the night after he ripped a triple axel (he's still got it) while skating to "When You Come Back to Me Again". He was born to skate shows.

Yuka was a treat, and whoever said that she's got the best edges in the business were spot on. She glides over the ice as if it were warm butter, and she pulled off three different triple jumps plus a double axel without any difficulty.

Oksana was Oksana. I loved her first number "Ain't It Funny", a upbeat song that suits her dramatic skating. Her second number was "Swan Lake" which she skated beautifully. She had a fall on the double axel, but in Oksana tradition, she circled the ice and landed one, I guess to show all that she can still do it.

The group numbers were fun, one in particular where the guys were using push brooms.........again, Chris Dean stamped all over it. They looked as if they were having a ball, one big family.

It was money well spent, and if they take a chance on Fresno next year, I'll be back............a first rate, class act show.....42

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
No problem, dlk.........I think you get Scott instead of Kurt.....what a treat. Have fun!!! 42