Thread: Thread Titles

Custom Title

Thread Titles

In the Edge, is there now a limit on the number of characters that can be used for the title? I just started a new thread on V&T and could only use a limited number of characters in the title. It may be a problem with my browser (Google Chrome)
    Last edited by Mao88; 01-24-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Yes, there is now a limit. It was getting out of control

I'm going to hijack this thread to ask if GS really needs new threads for every news story and report about certain skaters. While it's very nice that Johnny Weir will cook again, Meryl Davis's grandmother is from London and Max Aaron was profiled by the Times of Israel, wouldn't it be more efficient to have a single thread for each high profile skater/team and update it, rather than creating new ones seemingly whenever they leave the house or some random newspaper writes about them?

No because new tidbits get "buried". Some people don't like to visit an ongoing thread of over hundred posts to dig for news

OTOH, some people don't like seeing interesting topics buried by threads about tidbits; there are so many trivial news stories currently highlighted in the Edge that a lot of discussions quickly get bumped off the first page and are thus forgotten. I think that's unfortunate because it leads to short discussions and in many cases, less participation.

But obviously this is your decision to make, not mine.

I don't personally consider any news "trivial", but nevertheless, I have increased the number of threads shown on the first page by "10", so that should take care of the bumping issue

test

test

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Question Why was my thread title changed?

Does GS have a rule that a thread that is started b/c of a new article MUST have the title of the article in the thread title??

I ask because of the thread in The Edge that I started yesterday re IN's new article re Max Aaron:

I purposely had chosen NOT to use the article title for the title of the thread b/c I do not think that the article title is a good representation of the entire article.

So I am bummed to see now that some presumably well-intentioned person has overridden the thread title that I chose.
    The heading of my OP even has been changed to the new title that is not mine. :(

(The full story, if not TMI, is that my original thread title did have a partial quote from the article title. But then for the reason above, I decided to change the thread title to a different quote from the body of the article. I rushed to select an alternate quote that I liked better b/c I know that only a short time window is allowed during which mere mortals can change the thread title.
    If I had not needed to rush, maybe I would have chosen a different quote -- but still something unrelated to the article title.)

Not trying to be difficult.
    But I was not aware of the rule ... if it really is a rule?? Is it??

(If it is, you will not be surprised that my two cents is that I don't like the rule.)

Thread Titles

Not surprised at all

There is no rule, however, we reserve the right to edit thread titles as we see fit - mostly, in part, due to the fact that thread titles are shown on the main page of golden skate and we do not like them to be very long.

In addition, we ensure that links to interviews and articles reflect exactly the title that it is referring to (when we see them) - not what the reader thinks it should be

If the thread title merely says just the name of the person(s) with the word "interview" or "article", that is fine as well.
    Last edited by gsk8; 07-31-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Another consideration about thread titles, Golden, is that we want these threads to come up near the top when when people search for certain topics on Google. As I understand it (not very well, I confess), there is quite an art to outsmarting the other guys who want their story to come up first. So sometimes titles are changed with this in mind.

And…we are pretty successful at it. If you Google almost any figure skating topic, references to Golden Skate articles and forum posts are right there.

That said, I did like the "Determined Character" quote.

Edited to add: Also, about the heading of the first post, that changes automatically when the thread title is changed.
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-31-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    However, as the author of the first post, you can edit that post. You can't change the thread title shown in The Edge, but you can change your post.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Belated thanks to gsk8, MM, and Doris for all of your responses. I was aware that GS management reserves the right to modify thread titles, and I do respect that right.
    Going forward, I prob. will choose the lesser evil (IMO) of a super-generic title when I am starting a thread tied to a new article.
    [Although I have additional thoughts on thread titles, for now I will not dwell on this topic.]