Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway - Season 11

Custom Title
    There's no one who stands out to me the way, say, Mondo, Anthony Ryan, or Christian Syriano did. Patricia is interesting because she comes from a different tradition, that of fiber art rather than tailoring. Michelle is good, and I think Stanley has been my favorite of the guys. But there's no star that I can see.

Custom Title
    There's no standout star to me. No one seems to have that star quality that Christian, Mondo, Anya, or Austin had. Patricia is interesting because she comes from a different branch of clothes-making, being a fiber artist. I think both Michelle and Stanley are excellent. They're still interesting to watch, but I don't sense the command that many competitors from earlier seasons had. Still, we don't know the pressures caused by the endless team-ups. Maybe one of them is a future star. It's always fun to watch, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I loved Stanley & Patricia's clothes. The top Patricia made was wonderful. I think that it was open in the back, it just flowed so nicely. Stanley dress was simple but elegant. I hope Layana grows up before the end of the show. Layana and Michelle are soooo bossy and just plain witchy. Now that they are picking on Richard, they're leaving Patricia alone. I respect Stanley for saying he learned some things from Patricia. It's nice that Michelle won with her dress but it was the Tim who basically said ...what are you doing and she changed her look. I am not sure at this time who will win, who really stands out????
    I was surprised that Patricia and Stanley weren't the winning team. I also thought Patricia's top was wonderful. While Stanley's wasn't a standout from a design perspective, it was so much better made than the pink dress. I was glad that Patricia and Stanley got over their initial tension. I think Patricia realized what Stanley was trying to say to her when Tim pointed out that the entire production cost of the outfit had to be what she thought each piece would cost. Things seemed to settle down afterwards and they were able to listen to each other. I also though Patricia's and Stanley's looked like a collection whereas Michele and her partner's did not go together at all.

TIm's comments saved Michele - that vest she was making was not Spring. I think the dress also showed that she's more than biker chic.

I'd be saying poor Richard more if Layana and Michelle's comments weren't somewhat legitimate. Oh, and I also agreed with the judges that Layana's print did end up looking 'old' even with the leather.

I think Patricia gets 'flack' because many of her initial looks were based upon the textile design vs the actual design of the garment. Because she spends so much time re-working the fabric, her vision isn't always completed well which is to the detriment of the team. Without that concern, I don't think her team mates would be as concerned.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Glad Stanley's dress won the competition and not Michelle. I couldn't believe Layana's attitude. I'm glad the judges saw through Layana. I loved, loved Daniel's outfit, especially the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Glad Stanley's dress won the competition and not Michelle. I couldn't believe Layana's attitude. I'm glad the judges saw through Layana. I loved, loved Daniel's outfit, especially the jacket.
    I agree with everything you wrote...

I think Stanley won because the looks matched because of his ideas. He designed the casual look and the bubble wrap skirt on the avant garde look was his idea. If the whole avant garde look had just been Michelle's, she would've won.

Definitely turned of by Layana this week. Other than being his 'muse', what did she contribute to his outfit? She gave him less than a yard of their print. That jacket was exquisitely made. Her dress was a hot mess and likely would've been worse if he hadn't gotten her together. WHile I understand that she can be under a lot of stress, it's not a though the judges haven't questioned her 'freshness' - they didn't like her choice of textile last week.

I didn't get why the judges liked Patricia's outfit. It looked like a mummy unraveling IMHO. I also thought the textile was the least interesting. WHile it was time for Richard to go, I felt bad for him because Patricia couldnt' communicate her concept to him well enough for him to come up with something that would make them look like a collection.

At this point, top 3 should be Stanley, Michelle and Patricia. I'd be ok with either Stanley or Michelle winning.

Custom Title
    I have to say that I liked Layana's outfit. It appealed to me more than the other two avant-garde conceptual dresses. I liked both Richard's and Daniel's ready to wear outfits.

Here are some duct tape prom outfits made by high schoolers.

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...nd-beauty.html

Custom Title
    Thanks, Heyang!

I forgot one winner that I liked very much: Dmitry.

I was hoping that they would have sent Michelle home. I am not very happy that they didn't.

Custom Title
    You know that toward the end of the run, they often do some kind of sudden-death playoff. Remember the year that Rami and Chris March had to show their final collections to see which one got to the final runway show?

Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook. For my money, it's Stanley who should win the whole thing. Michelle and Daniel have moments of "wow," but Stanley has the consistency and the real feel for what's amazing. Layana is excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook.
    Olympia, I am not real sure what you mean about Patricia. Are you saying she hasn't designed anything on PR to be part of the final 4 or 5???

Custom Title
    Not at all, Dee. Some of her clothes were wonderful, but some don't seem successful at all. I think the last dress was a bit of a mess. They didn't even like that dress. But they liked her, so they kept her. Very interesting thought process they showed. One thing they said that fascinated me was that she doesn't reference anyone and doesn't seem to be influenced by anyone. It's as if they're people in the French Academy of Music (can't remember the exact name) who feel they've found another Debussy. This is not the usual way they speak.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    You know that toward the end of the run, they often do some kind of sudden-death playoff. Remember the year that Rami and Chris March had to show their final collections to see which one got to the final runway show?

Amazing how the judges think of Patricia. They really see something in her. I don't know how she would survive in the actual fashion business; she's really an off-the-grid fiber artist, which is a whole different outlook. For my money, it's Stanley who should win the whole thing. Michelle and Daniel have moments of "wow," but Stanley has the consistency and the real feel for what's amazing. Layana is excellent as well.
    Really? I think Stanley is Emilio Sosa 2.0. I would bet a bundle that he will make it to Fashion Week, but design a "line" of well-made but safe and boring garments. I'm still trying to remember a single "wow" Daniel moment. This week's 'Joan Crawfod' ensemble looked like a margarine moth. And why does he always use hook closures? Could it be he doesn't know how to sew in a zipper?

I happen to like Michelle a lot, but I'm a New Yorker and we appreciate bluntness and good snark. I agree with your about Patricia--there's definitely something there, but it is not necessarily the ability to design fashion (her silhoutettes tend to be blowsy, blurry and/or shapeless, but her fabric manipulations are always worth a second and third look).

On the whole though, a rather underwhelming season. And what the hell was Tim Gunn, usually so debonair, doing sporting a gingham shirt with a paisley tie? It was like a bad acid trip.

Custom Title
    Ankles, you really have an expert eye. I didn't notice the closures; that's an excellent point. (And I'm still chuckling over "margarine moth.")

I like Michelle also, and I was assuming that she'd end up in the finals instead of Patricia. Wasn't she the one who did the "art coat" when she collaborated with Stanley for the print challenge the week before? Yum. But we don't know how things will turn out next week; she might be there in the finals.

I do a lot of reading about fiber artists (because I love looking at quilts) and associate Patricia with them. They tend to use more basic shapes and go to town on, as you say, fabric manipulation as well as techniques such as piecing. Tailoring techniques are often secondary with them. A lot of their silhouettes are based on traditional clothing or folkwear. I'm very partial to this stream of clothing, and I admire Patricia even more because except for Anya, I can't remember anyone from such an unconventional background who has advanced as far as Patricia has in the competition. In a way, she reminds me of Elisa Jimenez from Season 4, though Elisa was more conceptual (so even less viable as a fashion designer). There was one "convertible dress" that Elisa did, for Sarah Jessica Parker, that was gorgeous. But Elisa didn't care about observing any of the conventions, while Patricia really is trying to use this as a learning experience. Combined with her splendid imagination, these efforts have taken her pretty far.

Michele was o nly in the bottom because she didn't fulfill the requirements of the challenge. Nina said not to make a t-shirt and pants and that the outfit had to be editorial.

Patricia is 'different', but she's also been also been able to put together some fabulous pieces. So, I'm not surprised that they would want to keep her to the runway show.

While Stanley seems 'safe', his clothing is always impeccable and well thought out. I think he also proved that he could push out of his comfort zone when he worked with Michele on the avant garde look.

Michelle tends to be more rock'n'roll or edgy. I think they 'saved' her because of her performance during the entire season, just as they made season 3 a final 4 because of Mycheal Knight's overall season vs performance on last pre-finale challenge.

Laylana is my # 4. She's made some nice pieces, but I just feel like she hasn't really pushed herself yet.

I'm most surprised that Daniel is still around.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast