Project Runway - Season 11 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 11

I was on the phone, but I'm off in time for the runway show. One or two of the pieces looked very interesting. Enjoy, Runway fans!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Patricia Michaels painted material & then dress...wow!!! I hope she goes far because I would love to see what else she can do.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-11/rate-the-runway/episode-1#id=4

I don't know if anyone remembers the patterns that were advertised "Make in 90 Minutes" which took me maybe 5 days to make. I know when I make something it takes me time to get it done...I am so impressed with how the designers make their outfits in 24 hours.

Is it me or has Zac Posen lost a lot of weight??

I'm not familiar enough with Posen to know whether he lost weight. I miss Michael, who was so witty, but it'll be interesting to see someone new on the panel.

I loved that dress as well. It's funny: when they introduced the designers, I was sure that Patricia would be one of those odd birds who couldn't do much of anything and would be off right away, and then her dress blows everything else away. And it's beautifully structured as well as imaginative. This show can chew up those eccentric conceptual clothing artists who specialize in piecing together streamers and shreds of mixed-media supplies. They have no sense of time, and they often don't have cutting and construction skills. As you say, making garments in 24 hours is not for the faint of heart. You need both skill and stamina not to drown. I felt so bad for that little one whose dress was barely made and who left last night.

heyang

Record Breaker
Of the top 3 picks, I preferred the 2 that didn't win, especially the painted one. I wasn't paying attention til the runway part; so , I don't remember anyone's names yet.

I was actually somewhat surprised by the elimination. She seemed to have imagination and a vision vs the boring color block tank and skirt. They usually want to give that type of person a 2nd chance to see if she can do more.

Overall, I thought it was a good start to the season and the team format definitely livens things up.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't think I was going to like the team concept but I did. I think one of the things I noticed the designers on the losing team handing out critique left & right while the winning team was offering advice. I guess I see a difference in what they were saying.

It was great seeing Christian...although he seemed subdued. I hope his business is doing great.

Here is Christian's spring 2013 collection. I love it. Click on view the collection on the left hightlighted in pink. About every 3rd or 4th picture an advertisment shows up but just click again and the next piece shows up.

http://nymag.com/thecut/fashion/sho...ian-siriano/fashion-runway|currentSlide=00001

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the judges made the right choice of getting rid of James. I think the Dream Team has lots of individual problems, not just team problems. I have been in that type of work environment and it is so frustrating.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Christian is my all time favorite designer from this show. Thanks Dee! Did you notice that it is predominately the men on the Keeping It Real team who are coming up with the best designs?

I love Christian best also.

I didn't notice that it was mostly the men who had the best designs. I was half watching because I had something to type up for work, so I didn't really notice who did what. I thought they'd choose that outfit with the longer pants and all the writing on it as the winner. But the one with the squort that did win was very cute. It was great to see Susan Sarandon. I've always enjoyed her in both comedies and dramas.

heyang

Record Breaker
I totally agreed with the top 3 designs. They were modern and functional and looked like they worked together. There were a couple of 'boring' pieces in that group. The little black dress for the waitresses was a big uninteresting as well as not a good design for a waitress. It would've been more appropriate for a hostess, but even then not 'new'.

The Dream Team is definitely disfunctional. They don't even work well in teams of 2, let alone as an entire production team.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cindy didn't seem to take constructive criticism well at all. Although I don't think anyone on the Dream Team should be critiquing. I think I saw the disfunction when they told James to throw his outfit out and start over...what about Tim's motto...Make it work??

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sorry to see Matt Arthur go, his designs interested me. I thought there were other designers who did much worse week after week.

Layana & Michelle are turning out to be mean girls, especially critiquing Patricia so harshly. Michelle was just told the week before that her designs was bad and I thought she should have gone home instead of Matt. I also thought Amanda should have gone home this week. I don't get it.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm guessing that Amanda stayed because at least she was trying something different vs Matt, who really didn't bring anything new to his dress. I actually preferred the graffic print dress over the aqua dress. The graffic print dress was comfortable at least and the sheen of the material of the aqua dress didn't do it any favors.

The thing with Layana and Michele is that they have tried to advise Patricia on other tasks. She never listens to them. When Patricia has been in the top, the only criticism from her team mates that week is concern about time. When she goes off track, she doesn't consider the advice of others until it's too late in most instances. Michelle admit that Patricia somehow ends up in the top more often than not (so far); so, she doesn't want to be responsible if her advice to Patricia puts her off track.

Overall, I liked the team with the winning outfits the best this week. The other top team was just ok.

I missed the beginning of the episode, but I enjoyed how enthusiastic the models were, and I especially liked that Matt's lady stood up for him. I am not a fan of Joan Rivers' particular brand of "honesty," but I can see why the various judges voted down some of the outfits. I too agreed with the winner.

I think Patricia is one of those outliers who isn't really part of the fashion tradition, and while this might lead to some wonderfully unconventional designs and approaches, it also limits her in what she's able to achieve because she probably doesn't have the command of basic techniques that the others have. Generally, with a few exceptions (Anya being the most notable one), contestants from the realm of fiber artists don't tend to stay the course. Additionally, in a team situation, such designers don't tend to have an approach that's compatible with anyone else. If Patricia is also stubborn in the bargain (since she's accustomed to marching to the beat of a different drummer), then I can see how friction would arise.

louisa05

Final Flight
I kind of have the impression that Benjamin just didn't work well with the regimented tasks and time pressure. I think he may be a better designer and better at construction than what we saw here. And, really, as much as I love PR, the assigned tasks, all DIY construction and 24 hour turnarounds are not how the fashion business really works. Michael Kors does not meet a client, cut, sew, and tailor a garment and have it on her in 24 hours (with breaks in the middle for filming other bits and sleep). Not even a dressmaker in your local community does that. My mom had to pay extra when getting a dress done for my wedding because she wanted it in less than six weeks and it was cut from a pattern.

I really thought Amanda should have gone. Yes, the print made the dress more interesting, but she didn't design that so much as she kind of randomly made it. If not her, Tu (who was clearly saved by his partner doing well) because that was a big mess and boring.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
and I especially liked that Matt's lady stood up for him.

Do you mean Ben???

I think Patricia is one of those outliers who isn't really part of the fashion tradition, and while this might lead to some wonderfully unconventional designs and approaches, it also limits her in what she's able to achieve because she probably doesn't have the command of basic techniques that the others have.

As Michelle said ...why don't the judges see what's happening. I guess I'm not seeing it either. What has Patricia done??? I am not saying she is the best but I have liked some of what she has done as I have the other designers except for Michelle and Amanda.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I felt sorry for Tu because I did like some of his designs. Too bad they didn't just sent Kate home. I kind of laughed when the teenagers liked Samantha & Patricia's design and of course Samantha did a lot of backtracking. I didn't especially like Michelle & Amanda's dress but the judges did. I was kind of shocked when Zac Posen put Nina in her place. I just love this show!!